Old January 2nd 06, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Peter Hendy-Bendy, C.B.E.

Robert Woolley ) gurgled happily, sounding
much like they were saying :

The press briefing for Number 10 concerning the honours list is he

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page8851.asp

"Inspirational Leadership"...

- worth noting that many front line staff are honoured.

But with far lesser gongs. For doing far more.

- also worth noting that restoring services after what happened was a
major piece of work

Indeed. Disaster recovery planning is (or should be) an integral part of
somebody's job. In fact, they probably *are* somebody's entire job.
Probably even somebody as high as one of Hendy's direct reports.

I'm glad that TfL's pre-existing DR plans worked and got London back to
normal so quickly.

A shame that the results of *his* job are causing such traffic chaos and
proving so unpopular with his customers, isn't it?

Old January 2nd 06, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:
Richard J. ) gurgled happily, sounding much
like they were saying :

Do forgive me. I didn't realise that signing off a press release
or two with your name on the bottom was enough to earn a CBE
these days.

Your attempt to make cheap jokes out of the 7/7 events, which put
tremendous pressure on the management of London Underground and
London Buses, is unwarranted. By all means criticise the honours
system, but not in a way which belittles the very real
achievements of these managers and their staff on that awful day.

I'm not making light of it in the slightest. If you think about
what I said ...

Something about signing off a press release or two being enough to earn
a CBE, I recall. And you think that's not making light of it?
--
Richard J.

Old January 2nd 06, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Adrian wrote:
Robert Woolley ) gurgled happily,
sounding much like they were saying :

The press briefing for Number 10 concerning the honours list is
he

http://www.number10.gov.uk/output/Page8851.asp

"Inspirational Leadership"...

- worth noting that many front line staff are honoured.

But with far lesser gongs. For doing far more.

Not sure how you measure that, but you seem to be saying that
inspirational leadership in a major crisis is not very important. When
you grow up, perhaps you'll understand more about what managers do.
Meanwhile, I'll let you wallow in your prejudices.
--
Richard J.

Old January 2nd 06, 07:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

I'm not making light of it in the slightest. If you think about
what I said ...

Something about signing off a press release or two being enough to earn
a CBE, I recall. And you think that's not making light of it?

I think it's making light of Hendy's CBE. I don't think it's making light
of 7/7 and the superb work many many people did.
Old January 2nd 06, 07:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. ) gurgled happily, sounding much like
they were saying :

- worth noting that many front line staff are honoured.

But with far lesser gongs. For doing far more.

Not sure how you measure that

Lemme see - how many people who got their hands covered in blood got CBEs?
Not one.

Three CBEs. Two to MDs, and one to a Chief Exec.

Those who actually risked their lives got (at best) MBEs. The "entry
level" award of the three. Several of those have been said in interviews
that they personally don't deserve it half as much as many of the people
who haven't received an award did.

The four OBEs went to people who very likely actually did something
directly. People whose responsibility the direct response was.

The MBEs went to people who certainly did plenty.

but you seem to be saying that
inspirational leadership in a major crisis is not very important.

I very much doubt that those who were actually doing the most had the time
to stop and listen to the "inspirational leadership" soundbites.

Old January 3rd 06, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote:

Not sure how you measure that, but you seem to be saying that
inspirational leadership in a major crisis is not very important.

But very senior people are paid very high salaries in the expectation they
will provide inspirational leadership.

Also, who was Mr Hendy 'leading' on 7/7? How many bus drivers do TfL employ?
What awards were given to bus garage managers and route controllers?

Chris