Old January 31st 06, 10:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default LU station abbreviation codes

These arent the codes used, as someone else has said only the Central
Line have offical station codes. On other lines, its all down to the
short-hand used.
Often as well the Train Description letter may be different from what
is on the Signal Control Data (M.E.L. or Boxsheets).

David Walters wrote:
On 30 Jan 2006 09:56:37 -0800, Matt Ashby wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get a list of the three-letter station
codes that LU uses to refer to stations? I don't know what the system
is called but I know each station has a code.

The ETA pages at http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/travelinfo/eta/ have
the station code for the lines they cover in the URLs.

David

Old February 2nd 06, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Correct. There are some exceptions though.

The Tooting's on the Northern are TBY and TBC are two that I can think of.

They were 'invented' by a bright spark from the Chief Engineer's Directorate
with some, but not much thought.

As the head of equality was a right battleaxe I never had the nerve to tell
about them, particularly Woodside Park and Wood Green.

"Andy" wrote in message
Offically IIRC only the Central line and W&C has fixed codes and the

system
is:
the first three letters of a single word,
the first two of the first word and the first of the second for two word
station name
the first letter of each for three word the only one being TCR.
The exceptions are Redbridge which should be RED which whould be confusing
so they consider it two word so it's REB and Leytonstone LES the same rule
is applied so so not be confused with Leyton (LEY).
I think Bank is labled twice BAN for Central line and BNK for W&C its so

the
ATO software which was never put in would not get confused.
Andy

"Matt Ashby" wrote in message
ps.com...
Does anyone know where I can get a list of the three-letter station
codes that LU uses to refer to stations? I don't know what the system
is called but I know each station has a code.

All help gratefully accepted.

Matt

Old February 2nd 06, 08:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

k...

"I'm at a green signal at Red" it could get quite confusing over a radio so
it not used for that reason.

But "REB" is unlikely to sound much different to "red" over a two-way
radio either. Whatever happened to the phonetic alphabet? If they used
that the message you suggest would become "I'm at a green signal at
Romeo Echo Delta"; a far more comprehensible piece of communication!

Old February 2nd 06, 09:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Acrosticus wrote:
"Richard J." wrote in message

k...

"I'm at a green signal at Red" it could get quite confusing over a
radio so it not used for that reason.

Actually it was Andy who wrote that.

But "REB" is unlikely to sound much different to "red" over a
two-way radio either. Whatever happened to the phonetic alphabet?
If they used that the message you suggest would become "I'm at a
green signal at Romeo Echo Delta"; a far more comprehensible piece
of communication!

Very true! But are these codes used in radio messages? If so, why are
Northfields and Arnos Grove drivers allowed to use different codes?
--
Richard J.

Old February 2nd 06, 10:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Richard J.
writes

Actually it was Andy who wrote that.

But "REB" is unlikely to sound much different to "red" over a
two-way radio either. Whatever happened to the phonetic alphabet?
If they used that the message you suggest would become "I'm at a
green signal at Romeo Echo Delta"; a far more comprehensible piece
of communication!

Very true! But are these codes used in radio messages? If so, why are
Northfields and Arnos Grove drivers allowed to use different codes?

I can only speak for the Picc, but abbreviations are only used as a form
of shorthand in written communications (duty books, DMT's instructions
etc.) and stations are always referred to by their full (well, often
missing Lane, Grove etc., so we just refer to Arnos or Acton) over the
radio.

Old February 4th 06, 03:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , ] (Steve
Fitzgerald) wrote:

I can only speak for the Picc, but abbreviations are only used as a
form of shorthand in written communications (duty books, DMT's
instructions etc.) and stations are always referred to by their full
(well, often missing Lane, Grove etc., so we just refer to Arnos or
Acton) over the radio.

Doesn't that get confusing? OK, the Piccadilly has only one Acton
station but the Central has three.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old February 4th 06, 11:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

I can only speak for the Picc, but abbreviations are only used as a
form of shorthand in written communications (duty books, DMT's
instructions etc.) and stations are always referred to by their full
(well, often missing Lane, Grove etc., so we just refer to Arnos or
Acton) over the radio.

Doesn't that get confusing? OK, the Piccadilly has only one Acton
station but the Central has three.

Not really - we don't tend to go onto the Central line very often with
our trains ;-)