Old April 21st 06, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Suitcase and backpack?

In article ,
(David J Bush) wrote:

On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 00:51 +0100 (BST),
(Colin
Rosenstiel) wrote:

|While the walk to the hotel will involve going up or down
|Portchester Gardens, it looks only slightly further to the hotel via
|the Northern end of Queensborough Terrace as via the Bayswater Road
|end.

Different maps on the Net seem to disagree on this point.

http://www.capricornhotels.co.uk/byron-detmap.html points to the
South half of Q.T.

whereas http://www.hotels-of-london.co.uk/ca...yron/index.htm
puts the Byron in the North half.

What a QUANDRY! Maybe I'll just stand at the corner of "Inv. P."
(Inverness Place?) and Inverness Terrace with my hands on my head and
a dumbfounded expression on my face. Not all that unusual for me...

I think I'd prefer to trust the map with the hand-added pointer (the one
further North) on the assumption that the people who put it there likely
had a clearer idea than the software that put the other arrow there did.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old April 21st 06, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

Rosenstiel) wrote:

[...]

But they say the hotel is 250 yards from Kensington Gardens, whereas
their arrowed location is 350 yards from the Gardens. The truth is
between the two arrows.

I've checked the address (36-38 Queensborough Terrace) with the City of
Westminster site and Google Earth, and it's actually slightly quicker to
turn left (north) out of Bayswater station and walk via Porchester
Gardens than to go via the Bayswater Road. (Roughly 550 yards against
600 yards.)
--
Richard J.

Old April 26th 06, 02:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Walter Briscoe wrote:

We have had about 30 years of terrorism and rarely bother about it.

Bit more than 30 - go back to Henry VIII, the underground Catholic vs
Protestant activist groups were regularly referred to in their day as
terrorist cells, and a significant terrorist threat thwarted by
government intelligence is still celebrated to this day (well, not this
day, more like November the fifth).