Old June 4th 06, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default "LUL in a Day"

Tristán White wrote:
Have you read Keith Lowe's book, "Tunnel Vision"? It's quite funny, and
well researched.

It's going second hand for just £1.44 from a seller on Amazon
http://snipurl.com/rafu

I bought it for a quid a few weeks ago from the bookshop in the Mall at
55 Broadway (St James's Park tube), he seemed to have loads of copies,
worth a try to see if any are still in existance.
--
To reply direct, please swap SEEMYSIG with railwaysonline
http://www.railwaysonline.co.uk

Old June 4th 06, 06:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 13:25:37 on
Sun, 4 Jun 2006, Matt Wheeler remarked:
Right, ok. So it's at Finchley Road, where they both go overground,
that they both start sharing, right?

I didn't think the two lines shared at all (strictly speaking).
They've got their own tracks and platforms at the shared stations (eg
Wembley Park, Finchley Road). So, although the two run parallel for a
while, I wouldn't say that they shared, as such.

They share a route, but as you say they don't share actual tracks. A bit
line the Piccadilly/District in west London.
Old June 4th 06, 06:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:28:29 on
Sun, 4 Jun 2006, AstraVanMan
remarked:
do the Jubilee and Metropolitan Lines share tracks between Baker
Street and Finchley Road?

No, the Jubilee is in a tube tunnel, and the Metropolitan is in
traditional surface/cut-and-cover.

Right, ok. So it's at Finchley Road, where they both go overground, that
they both start sharing, right?

As far as I recall, yes. At Baker Street the Jubilee (was once part of
the Bakerloo) is in a tube tunnel, and I don't think the lines merge
until Finchley Rd. Even then, they stay as two pairs of track, each
dedicated to one of the lines.
Old June 5th 06, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
No, the Jubilee is in a tube tunnel,

... two tube tunnels...

and the Metropolitan is in traditional surface/cut-and-cover.

I thought that the Met was in one or two tube tunnels for some of the way,
although it seems to be cut and cover at the airhole in Swiss Cottage.

The Met is certainly in two tunnels for some of the way; presumably
these sections are bored rather than C&C, unless there's a reason I've
missed why it would make sense to have twin cut-and-cover tunnels.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 5th 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:15:25 on Mon,
5 Jun 2006, John Rowland
remarked:
Wembley Park, Finchley Road). So, although the two run
parallel for a while, I wouldn't say that they shared, as such.

They share a route, but as you say they don't share actual
tracks. A bit line the Piccadilly/District in west London.

I believe the technical term is they share a "formation".

Thanks

Old June 5th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, at
06:35:54 on Mon, 5 Jun 2006, John B remarked:
No, the Jubilee is in a tube tunnel,

... two tube tunnels...

Getting a tad pedantic.

and the Metropolitan is in traditional surface/cut-and-cover.

I thought that the Met was in one or two tube tunnels for some of the way,
although it seems to be cut and cover at the airhole in Swiss Cottage.

The Met is certainly in two tunnels for some of the way; presumably
these sections are bored rather than C&C, unless there's a reason I've
missed why it would make sense to have twin cut-and-cover tunnels.

The Met goes over the Regents Canal, but most of the rest is in tunnel.
Some of it may well be bored.
Old June 6th 06, 10:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Jun 2006 17:14 +0100 (BST), Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

do the Jubilee and Metropolitan Lines share tracks between Baker
Street and Finchley Road?

At Baker Street the Jubilee (was once part
of the Bakerloo) is in a tube tunnel, and I don't think the lines
merge until Finchley Rd. Even then, they stay as two pairs of track,
each dedicated to one of the lines.

But there are crossovers which allow trains some interchange between the
tracks of the two lines.

Weren't these removed sometime in the past few years?
Old June 7th 06, 07:54 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 23:50:45 +0100, asdf
wrote:

Weren't these removed sometime in the past few years?

I noticed last week that the down (does LUL use up/down) Met - Jubilee
crossover at Finchley Road is incompletely but functionally removed.
Can't comment on the others.