Old August 6th 06, 11:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Fig Fig is offline

Default Commuting times

On Sat, 05 Aug 2006 09:33:19 +0100, Paul Corfield
wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5245860.stm

"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

1hr 10min each way for me. Finchley Road to West Drayton (usually via
Uxbridge)
I make that 525 hours a year.

Struggling to see how the beeb figure 225 hours to be the equivalent of
one whole month?
My calculator gives 225/24 = 9.375 days. It's late, am I missing something?

Old August 7th 06, 09:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Corfield" wrote in message
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5245860.stm

"The average commuter is spending more than 139 hours per year
commuting, increasing substantially for Londoners who spend the
equivalent of one whole month per year (225 hours a year) travelling to
and from work."

I accept they are talking about average times but I struggle to see how
the average is so low. My commute time is about 40 mins in the morning
and 50 in the evening and is not particularly onerous compared to those
of my immediate work colleagues most of whom travel a considerable
distance by main line rail.

My annual total, based on about 45 weeks for the working year, comes out
at 337.5 hours. While I don't know exactly how the authors of the study
calculated their numbers the implication is that there are a lot more
relatively short commuting journeys in order to drag the average down.
What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

2.5 hours Monday
5 mins Tuesday
5 mins Wednesday
5 mins Thursday
2.5 hours Friday

Not sure how that would work out for the year, as there are some occasional
midweek 2.5 hour ones to bring the average up.

BTN

Old August 8th 06, 08:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 5 Aug 2006 10:51:30 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

Why it's the more highly educated sector of society acts in such an
utterly boneheaded manner, i have no idea!

It's not necessarily utterly boneheaded. I gave up a short commute
from New Malden to Green Park (probably around 50 minutes including a
walk from Victoria) for a longer one from Fleet (1h20m "up" and
probably 5-10 minutes longer "down", and both including a walk between
Waterloo and Green Park). All for good lifestyle reasons - I could
afford to buy somewhere in the Royal Borough, but not where I wanted
to be, and living in the city was beginning to get me down, so a move
out of town did me good.

However, I did make sure it was an easy commute and on a good line, so
it doesn't inconvenience me too much. The worst thing is I can't
easily get to work before 8.00 if I'm busy, as I much prefer starting
early to working late.

And I get time to read, which I didn't before.

However, how those people with spectacularly long and/or messy
commutes manage it is beyond me. I know moving house is expensive and
changing job not necessarily easy, but surely quality of life is worth
something.
Old August 8th 06, 08:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 05:36:40 GMT, David Howdon
wrote:

For instance I live about 11-12 miles from my work (1 hour commute each
way) and am considered by a lot of my colleagues to live "a long way
out". However back home (NE England) living 11-12 miles from work would
be considered fairly typical.

I once commuted from Fenham in Newcastle to Earls House Hospital on
the Durham-Consett road, and by local standards that was a long
commute. Probably around 20 miles. It was about a 30 minute drive,
so not too bad, but when my car (a bit of an old banger) was off the
road it was a rather messy two-buses-and-a-train journey. The train
bit usually consisted of 12 minutes on an InterCity, so not too
bad ;-)

Old August 8th 06, 10:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

Front door to desk is 15-20 min, with train or bike taking about the
same overall - coming back the bike can be quicker if I leave the
office just after a train has left.

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK
Old August 9th 06, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Fig wrote:
Struggling to see how the beeb figure 225 hours to be the equivalent of
one whole month?
My calculator gives 225/24 = 9.375 days. It's late, am I missing something?

Presumably the beeb meant a "working month". Taking an 8 hour day that
comes out at 28 days and change, which is probably close enough for the
purpose.
--
Rob

Old August 9th 06, 02:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

On 05/08/2006 10:14, Paul Weaver wrote:
Paul Corfield wrote:

What are the totals for other group posters just so we can see if people
typically do have long or short trip times?

About 3.5 hours a day for me, nearly 800 hours a year.

Three guys in my office (of 6) spend longer than me, the longest spends
3 hours EACH WAY from Deal to West London, 1350 hours a year.

The shortest commute is 35 minutes each way, walking from chiswick.

This is based in London. 10 years ago, my parents spent 35 minutes each
way and 22 minutes each way, now It'd probably be longer now (the short
one included M62 J11 - M62 J13, the long one was via thelwell)

OTOH my sister has a sickening 3 minute commute, she's the only one I
know that has less than half an hour each way.

At *least* 90 Min in the morning and about 70 min in the evening. That's
from the Enfield area to Waterloo (Most of the time)

The morning trip is stuffed because of the lack of Waterloo & City Line
(Ohh I do hope they get it right and open on time!)

Since I work odd days/weekends and I might not go into my Waterloo
office I cant just spit out a yearly figure.

And since we are on the subject of the WL&C - I still think the LUL/TfL
are being a bit harsh not giving season ticket holders *anything* for
the closure of the drain. I (along with a lot of other people) have at
least an extra 30 - 40 mins 'delay' on the up, the down for me is much
easier as I get a good run out of the office early and can (normally)
get the LUL back to Seven Sisters instead of going via Liverpool St.

Grrr
Old August 9th 06, 03:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Q Q is offline

On 09/08/2006 15:59, Q wrote:
Snip
At *least* 90 Min in the morning and about 70 min in the evening. That's
from the Enfield area to Waterloo (Most of the time)

Snip

And to follow myself up - that didn't include the weekly trip I had to
make to Leeds, or the fortnightly trip I made to Bristol both for work.