Old December 17th 06, 08:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default More trains on old WAGN lines

John Rowland wrote:
That's partly because there are semi-fasts which skip Palmers Green, and
there are no overtaking opportunities between Stevenage junction and
Alexandra Palace via Palmers Green (although they can start extra trains at
Gordon Hill or Hertford North).

When I met FCC, about a number of issues, I was told that TfL are
working with them to increase the services from Moorgate throughout the
day. No date was given, but the plan is to run a tube-like frequency
ALL day and later into the evenings. I have to assume that TfL (or
perhaps local authorities) will partly fund the move, but didn't ask
about the funding issue.

Another discussion has also boosted my chances of getting a new service
in the morning from Hatfield (a train just for me.. woohoo!!) with a
bit of juggling around of services. May have to wait for the next
timetable but one, but Wagn never managed it in all their years of
service. :-)

Jonathan

Old December 17th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Drayton Park serves Arsenal FC fairly well.

Although it's being closed on match days isn't terribly helpful.

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
Ahh good old British organisation, kind of makes you proud :-)

Well, as it stands the station has to be closed because people would
end up falling on the track. I thought Arsenal were going to pay to
upgrade the station but I was either totally wrong, or they managed to
wriggle out of it.

So, not sure who gets the blame - but the fact is Drayton Park will
always be closed on match days/nights.

What would be nice is FCC starting to run 8 car trains on off-peak
trains if Arsenal is playing at home - or extra services using 313s
between Stevenage and Finsbury Park (where the bulk of the fans board
and alight).

Jonathan

Old December 17th 06, 08:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote
Interesting. New Southgate suffers from being right next door to Arnos
Grove tube

In the morning/evening peak, a train from New Southgate will only have
a couple of stops to Finsbury Park and Kings Cross. Taking the tube
would be a silly option, but I guess more people do as Arnos Grove is
always busy and New Southgate is usually quite deserted.

When I lived in Enfield, it took ages to get into central London via
the Piccadilly Line. By contrast, Hatfield via FCC gets me there in 21
minutes (30 in the morning peak, with more stations served). Of course,
I pay a lot more for the added convenience - although I also now live
in a 3 bedroom house, having sold a 1 bedroom flat in London!

Tube trains are great in central London, but on the outskirts, they're
actually not very fast or convenient. Yes, you get more regular trains
but the overall journey time is often much worse. Your mileage may
vary, obviously - especially if you live next to a tube station and
miles from an overground railway station!!

Jonathan

Old December 17th 06, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006, Jonathan Morris wrote:

John Rowland wrote:

That's partly because there are semi-fasts which skip Palmers Green,
and there are no overtaking opportunities between Stevenage junction
and Alexandra Palace via Palmers Green (although they can start extra
trains at Gordon Hill or Hertford North).

When I met FCC, about a number of issues, I was told that TfL are
working with them to increase the services from Moorgate throughout the
day. No date was given, but the plan is to run a tube-like frequency
ALL day and later into the evenings.

Were weekends mentioned?

Although given the rolling stock issues associated with a truly tube-like
frequency, i suspect this is all rather aspirational anyway.

tom

--
I do not think we will have to wait for long.

Old December 18th 06, 01:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
Were weekends mentioned?

I forgot to ask (didn't occur to me at the time that Moorgate was shut
at weekends) but if I were a betting man, I'd guess they would run at
weekends if TfL stepped in with funding. Possibly not such a frequent
service, but a service nonetheless.

Although given the rolling stock issues associated with a truly tube-like
frequency, i suspect this is all rather aspirational anyway.

I think they have the stock, as they can run a high frequency service
during the peaks (remember, the high frequency part will be Moorgate to
AP, as beyond that they split on each branch - and that would mean more
paths and stock, which isn't necessarily possible anytime soon).

At weekends, 313s go into Kings Cross. So, if Moorgate was to continue
in operation, there would be the issue of how frequent a service could
be provided from KGX (on a Sunday, it would pretty much be an hourly
service for me).

Who said timetabling was easy?!

Jonathan

Old December 18th 06, 07:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article om, Earl
Purple writes
You'll probably find, if you look at a map, that although the journey
towards Cockfosters is called "Eastbound", the East-most station is
Manor House after which your journey heads back towards to the West (as
well as North).

Manor House is indeed the easternmost station; Cockfosters is slightly
west of Hyde Park Corner. Here are the positions of the stations between
the two; the first three digits are the easting co-ordinate, in 100m
units.

281963 Cockfosters
293959 Oakwood
296942 Southgate
293925 Arnos Grove
300915 Bounds Green
310904 Wood Green
315896 Turnpike Lane
320874 Manor House
313867 Finsbury Park
314861 Arsenal
309854 Holloway Road
305849 Caledonian Road
302829 King's Cross St. Pancras
301821 Russell Square
305815 Holborn
302810 Covent Garden
299808 Leicester Square
296806 Piccadilly Circus
289802 Green Park
282798 Hyde Park Corner
278796 Knightsbridge

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old December 19th 06, 12:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Drayton Park serves Arsenal FC fairly well.

Although it's being closed on match days isn't terribly helpful.

Edward Cowling London UK wrote:
Ahh good old British organisation, kind of makes you proud :-)

Well, as it stands the station has to be closed because people would
end up falling on the track. I thought Arsenal were going to pay to
upgrade the station but I was either totally wrong, or they managed to
wriggle out of it.

So, not sure who gets the blame - but the fact is Drayton Park will
always be closed on match days/nights.

What would be nice is FCC starting to run 8 car trains on off-peak
trains if Arsenal is playing at home - or extra services using 313s
between Stevenage and Finsbury Park (where the bulk of the fans board
and alight).

Jonathan

FCC DO run extra trains when Arsenal play at home. Being the numbskulls
that they are, they don't advertise them in advance, though.

So, last Saturday, for example following the 13:03 from Winchmore Hill
was a 13:08 to Finsbury Park excl. Hornsey & Harringay. Same at 13:38.

The 13:08 was a six car train and empty.

It wouldn't be that hard for them to put posters up a week in advance
(or mention their existence on their web site, you'd have thought).

Old December 19th 06, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Jonathan Morris wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

There is also the issue that (proportional) demand for interchange at
King's Cross will probably be greater at weekends, with people heading
for the West End, the museums in South Ken and crossing to other terminals.

--
Dave Arquati
Old December 20th 06, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jonathan Morris" wrote in message
oups.com...
Tom Anderson wrote:
[...]

I don't think providing a frequent service to Kings Cross is particularly
important. After all there are two tube lines with 40tph+ duplicating the GN
route from Finsbury Park.

With the cross-platform interchange at Highbury, the Moorgate branch offers
just as good a range of connections as Kings Cross anyway.

Peter Smyth