Old December 19th 06, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Why don't tube staff enforce the routing systems in stations?

Which leads me to the question in the thread header: why don't tube
staff enforce the one way systems properly? It's not just at TCR,

Other favourites:
Notting Hill Gate, Central-Circle

Oxford Circus Vic-Central is clearly longer to go than CentralVic so
plenty of people go via the unsigned route against the flow

Kings X Picc/Circle cuts across the top of the Vic escalators

Kings X design in general is poorly signed

Shep Bush Central entry/exit - pax going w/b use the w/b exit instead of
the e/b entrance and crossing platforms.

I wasn't sure about Knightsbridge the other day when the walkway from
Harrods had lots of "keep right" signage until you get to the three
escalators when you had to swap to the left, that's bright

Isn't this just a symptom of selfish life these days with a minority having
no respect for anyone and exist just to take as much out of life as they
can without contributing anything back?

I don't blame staff for not enforcing this, they're at a high enough risk
of being assaulted in that line of work without provoking it. Some simple
turnstiles would probably do the job

Old December 20th 06, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dave Plumb wrote:
I don't blame staff for not enforcing this, they're at a high enough risk
of being assaulted in that line of work without provoking it. Some simple
turnstiles would probably do the job

Exactly - this was my point in the intial post. All the staff had to
do at TCR was to extend the portable barrier a bit further.

As far as turnstiles or fixed barriers go, there may be some sort of
fire rules about them, but I'm not sure.

Patrick

Old December 20th 06, 01:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

d wrote:

And how many people do you put out by doing that? Remember - just because
something is beneficial to you, it doesn't mean it's beneficial to others.
What if you saving 3 seconds makes 40 other people delayed by 1 second each?
You would have selfishly exchanged 40 people/seconds of other peoples' time
for 3 people/seconds of your own.

Unless they are changing onto the Central line and miss their train as
a result of my action then I'm not really delaying them, whereas if
there is a train there then it's more urgent that I need to get through
to it. It doesn't help the fact that at Tottenham Court Road you then
have to walk quite a way up the platform you don't wish to use to
switch over to the Northbound one.

If there are people it's probably because there's a train there and I'm
not saving 3 seconds, I could be saving 8 minutes or more knowing the
Northern Line.

The signs are usually there for a reason.

To convenience those from the South. Probably the person who designed
it travelled in from the South.

Old December 20th 06, 10:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Exactly - this was my point in the intial post. All the staff had to
do at TCR was to extend the portable barrier a bit further.

There used to be a bloke with the temp barriers at Notting Hill Gate each
morning and evening but he wouldn't bat an eyelid as people dodged around
the barriers.

I guess if you were starting from scratch you'd do it all different but
we're stuck with what we've got. But new stuff like the Kings X interchange
should have been better thought through, the whole thing is a mess with
people walking in all directions.

Also, why do they insist on putting tube maps inside stations at pinch
points? Kings Cross the map is right at the bottom of the stairs from the
mainline station

Old December 22nd 06, 05:08 AM
Junior Member

Location: Kent & Hounslow

Quote:
Originally Posted by d

That's a damned fine question. I've noticed that lots of the overcrowding
issues in stations during rush hour are due to people bunching up and
doing, well, ridiculous things in public. People slowly meandering across a
foot tunnel, causing everyone behind them to stop and bump into each other.
Mothers dragging their kids along side them, blocking the two-people-wide
passageways. People stopping when at the top of escalators, even if they're
walking the left. Plus, couple in the usual London pedestrian insanity
(randomply stopping dead, or even better, randomly walking backwards), and
people just straight-up not looking where they're going, and the network is
in shambles, simply due to people wandering through the station like they're
on heroin, seeminly incapable to realise when they're getting in other
peoples' way.
I exited TCR from the Northern yesterday lunchtime and although the tunnel between the platform and the escalators is pretty wide, I came up behind a family (mother, 2 children and granny) walking along 4 abreast holding hands. When I said 'excuse me' the mother looked round at me as if I was asking her to sacrifice one of her children, so I then said 'you can't just block the tunnels' at which point I got a torrent of abuse.

I can't help but wonder if her children learned any new words yesterday or if they are already part of their vocabulary?

A.
__________________
Anyone can brighten up a room - some do it by entering, others by leaving.
Old December 26th 06, 10:39 AM posted to uk.transport.london

AndreaC wrote:

I exited TCR from the Northern yesterday lunchtime and although the
tunnel between the platform and the escalators is pretty wide, I came
up behind a family (mother, 2 children and granny) walking along 4
abreast holding hands. When I said 'excuse me' the mother looked round
at me as if I was asking her to sacrifice one of her children, so I
then said 'you can't just block the tunnels' at which point I got a
torrent of abuse.

I can't help but wonder if her children learned any new words yesterday
or if they are already part of their vocabulary?

Were you coming from the NOrth or from the South?