Old December 31st 06, 02:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Brick Lane

David Biddulph wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
David Biddulph wrote:
"David of Broadway" wrote in message
Paul Terry wrote:

A physical link, such as an underground passageway, would have been
possible during the many occasions when Hammersmith Broadway has been
rebuilt over the years. I suspect that it never happened because the
number of passengers requiring such an interchange is very small
indeed.
If there was never an underground passageway, then what "Subway to
District and Piccadilly lines" is this (former) sign referring to?

http://greenberger.no-ip.com/gallery...geViewsIndex=1
It could have been referring to one of the subways under the road?

What do you mean by "one of the subways under the road" if not "an
underground passageway"?

I meant one from outside the station, rather than a direct link between the
two stations.

If there is/was a passageway under the road outside the station, how
much more work could it be to connect it inside the station?
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA

Old December 31st 06, 02:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Tristán White wrote:

Not sure about Paddington one - I think it's possible to get from one to
the other without going to street level isn't it? but you have to walk
past some NR platforms or something.... been a while since I went down
there.

There's no behind-the-barriers interchange. You have to go through the
mainline station.

I have been told that it's also possible to get from the H&C platforms to
the concourse without going through any barriers at all, but that's
another story ...

I'm not sure I should be disseminating such information, but it's been
discussed here beforehand, and it's not going to be much help in fare
evasion given that most other LU stations are gated, so I'll continue!

The ticket barriers do not need to be traversed when exiting the H&C
platforms - one can go up the stairs from the H&C to the overbridge
then before the LU gates there's stairs down to some of the Paddington
suburban platforms (13 & 14 IIRC). From there one can walk along the
side of platform 12 (see the map - I think platform 13 is a bay
platform at the end of the platform face of platform 12) out onto the
concourse. I have seen FGW revenue staff at this end, but if you say
you're headed for the Underground they wave you through.

Note that I wasn't using this route for anything nefarious - I'm pretty
sure it is the quickest route from the Bakerloo to the H&C, if you use
the small Tube entrance/exit next to Cafe Nero and Taste.

By the by it's also possible to avoid the gates and get to the mainline
Intercity platforms (p2-5, or maybe p2-7) by using the overbridge,
though I think FGW do cover these routes with revenue control staff
some of the time as well. Just to be clear, I am not trying to
encourage ticketless travel, but merely observing the chinks in the
armour.

Paddington station map:
http://www.networkrail.co.uk/documen...Paddington.pdf

Old December 31st 06, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tristán White wrote:
Something really should be done asap about Shepherds Bush. How confusing is
it to have two completely unconnected stations with exactly the same name.

If you think thats confusing, go to Chicago. There are 5 separate
stations called "Western", 3 of which are on the same line! And there
are plenty of other examples on the same network.

See http://www.chicago-l.org/maps/route/...03elevated.jpg

Great system though.

regards
HN28

Old December 31st 06, 02:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 13:26 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
(Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:

In article ,

(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message . 145,
Tristán White writes

Shepherd's Bush Market will make a positive change. Renaming all
three would be even better. But the best option in my opinion, but
probably impossible from an engineering prospect, would be to keep
all of them as Shepherd's Bush and link them all via underground
escalator walkways a like Monument/Bank and Kings X/St P.

Its not so much the engineering as the fact that very few
passengers are likely to use such an interchange.

[snip]

Or better still, somehow link the two together and have
them down as two different exits from the same interchange.

A physical link, such as an underground passageway, would have been
possible during the many occasions when Hammersmith Broadway has
been rebuilt over the years. I suspect that it never happened
because the number of passengers requiring such an interchange is
very small indeed.

There was a pedestrian underpass under Hammersmith Broadway! I remember
it being built, at the same time as Butterwick I expect. We used it
during the Underground trip in 1970. It wasn't closed that long ago.
Anyone know why?

I believe it is now an electricity substation. Certainly when it was
first sealed up (5-8 years ago I'd guess?) the northern end of it was
a massive fully-liftable area of paving and I'm sure I remember seeing
it open from time to time. However last year's repaving in that area
seems to have almost entirely hidden it, so either the utilities don't
need it any more, or they require a much smaller entrance now. There
is a massive underground chamber further up King Street that was
exposed when the water leak blew the road up earlier this year, which
I notice only has the tiniest of manholes to access it.

The other subway at the north-eastern corner of the Hammersmith
Gyratory was closed about four months ago, and except for some utility
pipes they ran through it first, has now been bricked up and
backfilled, as part of the new bus station construction works.
Old December 31st 06, 02:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006 19:38:15 +0000, Paul Terry
wrote:

Other confusing ones include Hammersmith - two separate stations opposite
one another. But at least the two exits are close to one another, but
having Hammersmith North and Hammersmith South (or wherever they're facing)
would be simpler.

North Hammersmith is miles away (the area around Hammersmith Hospital,
well north of Shepherds Bush) so this would be potentially very
confusing.

"Hammersmith Grove" and "Hammersmith Central" would probably be the
more obvious names, if the two really needed distinguishing. But since
they are right opposite each other (well once you come out of the
shopping centre), I don't think they need separate names.

Old December 31st 06, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

James Farrar wrote in
:

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:31:15 +0000, Edward Cowling London UK
wrote:

In message 5,
Tristán White writes
What do you think of the petition by Brick Lane residents and shop
and restaurant owners to get Aldgate East renamed "Brick Lane" to
boost the area. Having lost Shoreditch station, they're getting a bit
of a rum deal at the moment.

Do they have much of a hope?

I'd have said Aldgate East being right on top of Brick Lane should be
the one renamed (if any).

Well they did rename Gillespie Road to please a load of footy fans,

Paid for, IIRC, by Arsenal Football Club.

so I reckon renaming Aldgate East to Brick Lane is ok,

Well, if the businesses petitioning want to pay the costs involved...

I wonder whether the fact that Upton Park FC (1866) influenced the name
decision for Upton Park tube station (1877).

Upton Park FC was one of the first football sides in the country, took part
in the very first FA Cup (1871) and actually represented Great Britain in
the football for the 1900 Olympic games (and won Gold, beating France 4-0).

(NB West Ham's ground is really called the Boleyn, is called Upton Park
*because* of its proximity to the station, and only played where they play
now from 1904 onwards. But Upton Park FC was a very well known team back in
the days before Upton Park station was thought of.... much better known
than the actual "park" itself!! So perhaps it influenced in the choice of
name for the station).
Old December 31st 06, 02:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 31 Dec 2006 12:49:00 +0000, Tom Anderson
wrote:

On Sat, 30 Dec 2006, Tristán White wrote:

Not sure about Paddington one - I think it's possible to get from one to
the other without going to street level isn't it? but you have to walk
past some NR platforms or something.... been a while since I went down
there.

There's no behind-the-barriers interchange. You have to go through the
mainline station.

I have been told that it's also possible to get from the H&C platforms to
the concourse without going through any barriers at all, but that's
another story ...

I haven't used Paddington for a while but yes I'm pretty sure it used
to be possible to go across to the Ealing Broadway local platform,
from which you could walk all the way along some lesser used main line
platform and end up at the business end of the main station (near the
entrance to the Bakerloo station).
Old December 31st 06, 04:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Actually, rename Whitechapel to Whitechapel Hospital, and rename the
hospital to that as well.

Rename?

What's wrong with "The Royal London"? Call the tube station "Royal London
Hospital".

Old December 31st 06, 04:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Don't people now refer to the area around Whitechapel tube as Whitechapel,
though?

Ah Beckification - the reconceptualisation of London's geography based on
the tube map.

Brick tower at Crouch Hill Station Basil Jet[_4_] London Transport 1 January 5th 17 03:36 PM
Old bridge over Brick Lane Martin J London Transport 3 April 25th 05 02:13 PM
Caught driving on a bus lane by camera - what to do? Volker Finke London Transport 46 October 11th 03 02:03 PM
Kew Bridge Bus Lane Suspended Robin Cox London Transport 6 September 30th 03 09:32 AM
Chancery Lane Matthew Malthouse London Transport 12 July 19th 03 05:02 PM