Old February 13th 07, 07:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default fare dodgers

whos2091 wrote:
If, and it's a big if, you detect you are to be subjected to "a lambada"
through a gate then it's quite fun to stop before the end of the aisle
and make loud shouty noises about what on earth is going on. ;-)

But the staff seem barely bothered. On a couple of occasions I have
complained to the guard about this and they just shrug their
shoulders. A short while back (about 6 months ago) at North Greenwich
a man bundled in behind my girlfriend and was shoving so hard he
bundled her over - he was a big bloke with 2 friends so the incident
was fairly alarming - I immediately approached the guard who told them
not to do it again but took no further action. This will go on being a
problem until LU takes it seriously.

FWIW, when some little teenage oik tried to follow me in at East
Croydon, and I blocked him in, and turned round to shout "oi
wodyerfinkyerdoin", a large BTP officer appeared from nowhere in seconds
and took him for "a word" :-)

--
Arthur Figgis Surrey, UK

Old February 16th 07, 10:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Arthur Figgis wrote:
whos2091 wrote:
[...]

I was waiting for a friend at Embankment the other day and watched in
interest as a rather eccentric guy staked out near the station
entrances, picked a target heading for the gates, strode after them
quickly, got stuck in the gates and effed and blinded for a few moments,
then went back to the entrances and tried exactly the same thing another
time before succeeding the third time. The gateline staff didn't seem
too interested.

--
Dave Arquati
Old February 16th 07, 11:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

I told gateline staff about someone I saw doubling up at KX suburban as he
was heading for KX tube, he did the same there in front of both of us. The
staffer just said they would catch him eventually during one of the regular
stings there. The impression I got is that the gateline staff are just
there to make sure no-one gets stuck and to let people through manual
barriers who are carrying luggage etc. They have no interest in revenue and
are probably not authorised to issue PF's and would not be in the game of
detaining someone who didn't have a ticket. In fact they would probably
open the gates if you asked nicely enough, lest they be acqused of "false
imprisonment" or kidnap?

Old February 17th 07, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me. The (Silverlink) "security" guard backed him up
shouting "What's it to do with you? How is it your business if he's
got a ticket?" at me.
--
Rob

Old February 17th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
DaveP wrote:

They have no interest in revenue and
are probably not authorised to issue PF's and would not be in the game of
detaining someone who didn't have a ticket. In fact they would probably
open the gates if you asked nicely enough, lest they be acqused of "false
imprisonment" or kidnap?

More likely they are instructed to avoid confrontation for obvious
reasons.

E.

Old February 17th 07, 02:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me.

Tip for the future. In London NEVER confront anybody! Let him
squeeze through, and the authorities deal with him if they see him.
As you really could end up getting stabbed by a nutter.
Old February 17th 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 17, 3:52 pm, "Stevo" wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me.

Tip for the future. In London NEVER confront anybody! Let him
squeeze through, and the authorities deal with him if they see him.
As you really could end up getting stabbed by a nutter.

Thanks for the concern Stevo, but the fact that the man turned out to
be a sh*t didn't really come as much of a surprise. What did annoy me
was the attitude of the so-called security operative, who basically
made the decision to come out in support of the criminal who was
defrauding his employers and threatening one of their customers.
--
Rob

Old February 17th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Rob Hamadi wrote:

On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me. The (Silverlink) "security" guard backed him up
shouting "What's it to do with you? How is it your business if he's
got a ticket?" at me.

If he was definitely a security guard, and the above is an accurate
portrayal of what he said, then I am surprised.

Perhaps the security guard and the guy knew each other, or perhaps the
security guard has sussed out his ground and knew whom to leave alone
if he was after an easy life.

Out of interest where did this happen?

Old February 17th 07, 06:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 17 Feb, 15:52, "Stevo" wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me.

Tip for the future. In London NEVER confront anybody! Let him
squeeze through, and the authorities deal with him if they see him.
As you really could end up getting stabbed by a nutter.

I disagree. If your policy is to never confront anyone (and when I say
confront this can merely mean a polite and queit word with someone)
then it's carte blanche for anyone who feels like it to take the ****
with no come. Obviously any one situation has to be addressed
individually according to specific circumstances - note that I'm not
saying one should *always* confront the person(s), just saying that I
think it's a bit pathetic to decide that one will *never* confront
anyone.

Old February 17th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 17, 7:14 pm, "Mizter T" wrote:
Rob Hamadi wrote:
On Feb 16, 11:07 pm, Dave A wrote:
The gateline staff didn't seem too interested.

Last time I confronted a guy for squeezing through behind me he
threatened to stab me. The (Silverlink) "security" guard backed him up
shouting "What's it to do with you? How is it your business if he's
got a ticket?" at me.

If he was definitely a security guard, and the above is an accurate
portrayal of what he said, then I am surprised.

He was, it is and so was I.

Perhaps the security guard and the guy knew each other, or perhaps the
security guard has sussed out his ground and knew whom to leave alone
if he was after an easy life.

I got the impression that they knew each other.

Out of interest where did this happen?

Camden Road. Incidentally, when I appealed to the Silverlink employee
in the ticket office, he seemed terrified of the "security" man and
eventually lost all command of the English language in an effort to
make me go away.
--
Rob

German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators - The Guardian Bruce[_2_] London Transport 107 March 18th 12 06:47 PM
fare dodgers Edward Cowling London UK London Transport 9 February 11th 07 11:53 AM
fare dodgers Michael Hoffman London Transport 0 February 10th 07 01:08 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM