Old February 13th 07, 07:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default fare dodgers

On Feb 12, 11:25 pm, "Boltar" wrote:

Thats all very fascinating and I'm sure you and your Casio had a great
time. What I can tell you is that my monthly travelcard cost me about
95 quid 3 years ago (which is as far back as I can remember, I've been
using the tube to go to work on and off for 10 years) , this month its
over 120. For 3 years with inflation of say 3% that 95 quid should now
be 95 * 1.03 ^ 3 = 103.80. So where has that other 17 quid come from
then?

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

The additional increase is fair enough, because the UK economy is
currently showing substantial deflation in goods prices combined with
inflation in services prices. The Tube's cost base is primarily based
on services and wages rather than goods, so its costs will be rising
faster than inflation too...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 13th 07, 08:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb, 08:56, "John B" wrote:
[...]

You just don't get it John - what's evidence got to do with it? It's
all about sheer assertion of the facts.

Old February 13th 07, 08:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 13, 1:22 am, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Boltar wrote:

Don't like the way the country is being run? Go live somewhere else.

Don't agree with the bombing of Iraq? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like the cost of stamps? Go live somewhere else.

Don't like anything that TfL or LUL do? Go post somewhere else.

And there was me thinking this group was about general transport in
london issues. Or is it just for the LUL fan club?

B2003

Old February 13th 07, 08:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:
A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

Old February 13th 07, 08:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 13 Feb, 09:35, "Boltar" wrote:
On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

2007:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...card-adult.asp

2004:
http://web.archive.org/web/200406102...es.pdf#page=17

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old February 13th 07, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 13, 9:50 am, "John B" wrote:
On 13 Feb, 09:35, "Boltar" wrote:

On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

2007:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...ard-adult..asp

2004:http://web.archive.org/web/200406102...k/common/downl...

Hmm , theres something odd there. The rate it gives for my travelcard
in 2004 is much higher than I used to pay (I'm self employed so I have
to keep records of expenses) and in fact the rate it gives for 2007 is
more than I payed this month, only by 4 pounds but its still wrong. Or
maybe the guy at the ticket office got it wrong. Strange.

B2003

Old February 13th 07, 09:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" typed

The additional increase is fair enough, because the UK economy is
currently showing substantial deflation in goods prices combined with
inflation in services prices. The Tube's cost base is primarily based
on services and wages rather than goods, so its costs will be rising
faster than inflation too...

You just don't get it John - what's evidence got to do with it? It's
all about sheer assertion of the facts.

Anyway, with judicious use of Oyster, my partner's fare expenditure is
much less than in 2004. He made a little trip from Preston Road to
Uxbridge yesterday evening, cycling to the station. £1 each way, rather
cheaper than the £1.70 each way on Oyster in 2004...

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old February 13th 07, 10:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Feb 13, 10:14 am, "Boltar" wrote:
On Feb 13, 9:50 am, "John B" wrote:

On 13 Feb, 09:35, "Boltar" wrote:

On Feb 13, 8:56 am, "John B" wrote:

A z1-3 Travelcard cost £91.40 in 2004 and now costs £105.30, which is
only slightly above the inflation-adjusted increase you suggest above.
I'm not sure what kind of exotic ticket you're using...

Really? Where'd you get that information from. Post a link. I know for
a fact mine was 100 3 years back and now its over 120.

B2003

2007:http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...card-adult.asp

2004:http://web.archive.org/web/200406102...k/common/downl...

Hmm , theres something odd there. The rate it gives for my travelcard
in 2004 is much higher than I used to pay (I'm self employed so I have
to keep records of expenses) and in fact the rate it gives for 2007 is
more than I payed this month, only by 4 pounds but its still wrong. Or
maybe the guy at the ticket office got it wrong. Strange.

B2003

Is it from NR with a (non)punctuality discount?

Old February 13th 07, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Feb 13, 11:12 am, "MIG" wrote:
Is it from NR with a (non)punctuality discount?

No , its tube. No idea where the discrepancy comes from , but if I'm
getting it cheaper I'm not complaining though its still far too high
given the service.

B2003

Old February 13th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

If, and it's a big if, you detect you are to be subjected to "a lambada"
through a gate then it's quite fun to stop before the end of the aisle
and make loud shouty noises about what on earth is going on. ;-)

But the staff seem barely bothered. On a couple of occasions I have
complained to the guard about this and they just shrug their
shoulders. A short while back (about 6 months ago) at North Greenwich
a man bundled in behind my girlfriend and was shoving so hard he
bundled her over - he was a big bloke with 2 friends so the incident
was fairly alarming - I immediately approached the guard who told them
not to do it again but took no further action. This will go on being a
problem until LU takes it seriously.

German fare dodgers cause headache for public transport operators - The Guardian Bruce[_2_] London Transport 107 March 18th 12 06:47 PM
fare dodgers Edward Cowling London UK London Transport 9 February 11th 07 11:53 AM
fare dodgers Michael Hoffman London Transport 0 February 10th 07 01:08 PM
fare dodgers Dave A London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:45 PM
fare dodgers stevo London Transport 0 February 10th 07 12:10 PM