Old February 21st 07, 12:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Enlarged Congestion Charging area

I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

Old February 21st 07, 03:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

I was pleased to see yesterday that you can now turn right from Bishops
Bridge Road westbound into Westbourne Terrace northbound, which means
you can easily reach A40 Westway from Paddington station without
entering the zone. (Previously there was no right turn there, and you
had to enter Westbourne Terrace further south, where it is now inside
the zone.)

Have they done a similar change at the north end of Battersea Bridge,
which would allow traffic using the A3220 from Shepherd's Bush and
Earl's Court to Battersea to stay outside the zone without a long
diversion via Chelsea Bridge?
--
Richard J.

Old February 21st 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 13:34, "John Rowland"
wrote:
I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

The traffic travelling northbound across Battersea Bridge in the
morning peak doesn't appear to have reduced, and is possibly slightly
worse, which means a bus journey from Clapham Junction to Kings Road
is still only marginally faster than walking (and sometimes slower).
It's possible that more vehicles are now turning right from the bridge
on to the A3212 to get to the charge exempt route starting at Vauxhall
Bridge Rd thus blocking traffic travelling straight on or left at that
junction.

It's a bit early to say though as it probably needs a bit of time for
people to get used to - there may be some dithering going on at the
entrances to the zone. It's also school half term in a lot of areas.

Old February 21st 07, 07:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Feb, 17:02, "Fresh Cheese" wrote:
On 21 Feb, 13:34, "John Rowland"

wrote:
I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

The traffic travelling northbound across Battersea Bridge in the
morning peak doesn't appear to have reduced, and is possibly slightly
worse, which means a bus journey from Clapham Junction to Kings Road
is still only marginally faster than walking (and sometimes slower).
It's possible that more vehicles are now turning right from the bridge
on to the A3212 to get to the charge exempt route starting at Vauxhall
Bridge Rd thus blocking traffic travelling straight on or left at that
junction.

It's a bit early to say though as it probably needs a bit of time for
people to get used to - there may be some dithering going on at the
entrances to the zone. It's also school half term in a lot of areas.

Traffic crossing Battersea Bridge northbound might well be turning
left off the bridge onto Cheyne Walk, which is the (non-charged)
perimeter road.

I know the traffic jam on Batts Bridge of which you speak though - as
you say, at busy times it's often quicker by shank's pony.

Old February 22nd 07, 02:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:34:13 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

I'm away too. The only hard data came from Trafficmaster on Tuesday:
new west boundary speeds were halved, throughput in the old and new
zones same as before. The new "free" middle route was flowing well
despite gloom & doom predictions. Next week should be the first
post-1/2 term real test.

TfL's press release and Trafficmaster's were from different planets.

Meanwhile there are more "chisling little crooks" (France, Germany,
Belgium, Slovakia, Belarus, Russia)..
--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com

Old February 22nd 07, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kev Kev is offline

wrote:

I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

I'm away too. The only hard data came from Trafficmaster on Tuesday:
new west boundary speeds were halved, throughput in the old and new
zones same as before. The new "free" middle route was flowing well
despite gloom & doom predictions. Next week should be the first
post-1/2 term real test.

TfL's press release and Trafficmaster's were from different planets.

Meanwhile there are more "chisling little crooks" (France, Germany,
Belgium, Slovakia, Belarus, Russia)..
--
Old anti-spam address cmylod at despammed dot com appears broke
So back to cmylod at bigfoot dot com

What is a chisling crook exactly? I can't say that I have ever heard
the expression before except when Ken used it.

Kevin

Old February 23rd 07, 11:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Kev wrote:
On Feb 22, 3:01 pm, Colum Mylod wrote:

Meanwhile there are more "chisling little crooks"
(France, Germany, Belgium, Slovakia, Belarus, Russia)..

What is a chisling crook exactly?

Remember the scene in Carry On Up The Khyber where the missionary is
removing the jewels from the woman's bra?

Old February 23rd 07, 06:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
I haven't been near the zone this week, so I'd like to hear people's
experiences.

I have used the bus a few times through the zone - the 148 gives quite a
good "test" as it passes across the WEZ, down the free route and then
into the original area. My experience was about a 10% reduction in the
journey time across the WEZ (morning peak), and no perceptible
difference on the free route or on Victoria Street in the original zone.

--
Dave Arquati
Old February 23rd 07, 07:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Dave A
writes
I have used the bus a few times through the zone - the 148 gives quite
a good "test" as it passes across the WEZ, down the free route and then
into the original area.

Where is the free route, please?
--
Clive.
Old February 23rd 07, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 23 Feb 2007 20:06:33 +0000, "Clive Coleman."
wrote:

In message , Dave A
writes
I have used the bus a few times through the zone - the 148 gives quite
a good "test" as it passes across the WEZ, down the free route and then
into the original area.

Where is the free route, please?

Edgware Road, Park Lane, Grosvenor Place, Victoria one way system,
Vauxhall Bridge Road. Also Chelsea Embankment since the extension came
in. See below.

http://www.cclondon.com/download/DetailMapECCZ.pdf
--
Paul C