Old February 27th 07, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Southall - Zonal fare rip-off?

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 18:13:34 +0000, Paul Corfield wrote:

This ticket only gives validity to Liv St and then onto the LU
network as far as zone 4.

To be pedantic, I don't think this is true, strictly speaking. I
reckon it would be valid for a journey such as: 'one' to Liverpool
Street; Tube to Victoria; Southern to Balham; Tube to Morden.

Sorry but I think you are wrong with this example. Victoria to Balham is
not interavailable so is in effect another TOC journey.

Yes, I deliberately chose an example that was not interavailable.

A ticket purchaser would have to decide whether they wished to use NR
and then only LU to reach Balham or else buy a ticket from their origin
to Balham (NR) and then rebook to Morden. Other than a One Day
Travelcard I do not think there is a ticket that allows NR - LU - NR -
LU as a set of journey legs where the NR legs are not interavailable
with a LU service.

OK, I couldn't see any reason why you couldn't do NR-LU-NR-LU within
the zones on your ticket, but I suppose it doesn't explicitly say you
*can* either, so you'd be taking your chances with what the RPIs would
accept.

Old February 27th 07, 07:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Ken Ken is offline

On 27 Feb, 19:22, Christopher A.Lee wrote:

And there are the AMerican tourists used to dropping "Street", "Road"
etc.

When they ask for "Baker" it's obvious, but "Oxford"? Even "Edgware"?

I once spent ages as a new booking clerk explaining to an American
lady how to change stations in London to Paddington, change again at
Swindon, and then, after several hours, you'll get to Gloucester. I
printed off her itinerary, showed her on the map, and told her the
fare was about GBP50. And then she said "That's near the Kensington
High Street, right?". "Aaagh! You want Gloucester ROAD!".

And of course when CT ran through to Liverpool (Lime St) you got,
every day, "this the Liverpool train?". "No, do you want the City of
Liverpool, or London Liverpool Street?" "Liverpool, Liverpool. I want
go Liverpool station". And so it went on.

Not to mention Ely vs. Ealing, or, my favourite, a Nigerian lady plus
2 kids who asked me for a ticket (in London) to "Te'fo'd". So I sold
her SVRs to Telford and sent her off to Euston, telling her "Change at
Wolverhampton". Two hours later she came back. "I wanted a ticket to
"TEHT-ford, T-H-E-T-F-O-R-D". Oops.

Ken

Old February 27th 07, 07:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ken" wrote

Not to mention Ely vs. Ealing, or, my favourite, a Nigerian lady plus
2 kids who asked me for a ticket (in London) to "Te'fo'd". So I sold
her SVRs to Telford and sent her off to Euston, telling her "Change at
Wolverhampton". Two hours later she came back. "I wanted a ticket to
"TEHT-ford, T-H-E-T-F-O-R-D". Oops.

Bill Hayles has a lovely story of confusion between Oval and Yeovil. ;-)

Peter
Ken

Old February 27th 07, 08:15 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:32:32 -0000, Peter Smyth wrote:

The correct ticket is a SDS Goodmayes - Southall for £5.10. A SDS
Goodmayes - Zone U1234 is £4.40 and would only be valid at Underground
stations in zone 4.

How did you arrive at £4.40? I reckon £5.10 is the correct price for a
Goodmayes - U1234 ticket.

£4.40 is the price listed in the National Fares Manual.

That's odd - I don't have the printed NFM (and therefore the main
fares tables), but the text in Section L says that the fare for this
ticket is determined by Table 2 on page L4, which says £5.10.
Old February 27th 07, 08:42 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"asdf" wrote in message
On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 08:32:32 -0000, Peter Smyth wrote:

The correct ticket is a SDS Goodmayes - Southall for £5.10. A SDS
Goodmayes - Zone U1234 is £4.40 and would only be valid at Underground
stations in zone 4.

How did you arrive at £4.40? I reckon £5.10 is the correct price for a
Goodmayes - U1234 ticket.

£4.40 is the price listed in the National Fares Manual.

That's odd - I don't have the printed NFM (and therefore the main
fares tables), but the text in Section L says that the fare for this
ticket is determined by Table 2 on page L4, which says £5.10.

On the TfL site
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/fares-tick...sh-singles.asp
it says

Tube/DLR - Train fares cover through-journeys between the Tube/DLR and
National Rail and from National Rail to National Rail via the Tube/DLR. They
are the maximum that you will pay for a single journey in the London zonal
area.

So I think the fares in Table 2 are only maximums and TOCs are free to set
prices for specific journeys lower if they so wish.

Peter Smyth

Old February 28th 07, 07:33 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:32:30 -0000, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Ken" wrote

Not to mention Ely vs. Ealing, or, my favourite, a Nigerian lady plus
2 kids who asked me for a ticket (in London) to "Te'fo'd". So I sold
her SVRs to Telford and sent her off to Euston, telling her "Change at
Wolverhampton". Two hours later she came back. "I wanted a ticket to
"TEHT-ford, T-H-E-T-F-O-R-D". Oops.

Bill Hayles has a lovely story of confusion between Oval and Yeovil. ;-)

I'll never forget that one, mainly because of the good humour on the
part of the lady who wanted the ticket - much better to have a good
laugh than get annoyed.

One confusion that happened on several occasions was people arriving at
Hayes (Kent) wanting Hayes (Middlesex).

It probably happened with Ashford to Ashford (for which I remember
seeing a ticket from one to the other) and Gillingham to Gillingham, but
I can't recall a real life example.

I remember meny years ago as a teenager trying to get a ticket to
Chelsfield (where I lived) and being issued with one to Chestfield,
which I'm sure occasionally gets confused with Chesterfield and so life
goes on.
--
Bill Hayles
http://www.rossrail.com

Old February 28th 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Bill Hayles
writes

It probably happened with Ashford to Ashford (for which I remember
seeing a ticket from one to the other) and Gillingham to Gillingham, but
I can't recall a real life example.

I've certainly suffered the Gillingham confusion, although not by train.
A couple of years ago I was working in Canterbury for a client for a
week, and was told that I'd need to pop up the road to Gillingham one
afternoon. Despite being pronounced with a soft G it turned out to be a
return drive to Dorset
--
Paul Terry
Old February 28th 07, 11:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 11:11:51 on Wed, 28 Feb
2007, Paul Terry remarked:
It probably happened with Ashford to Ashford (for which I remember
seeing a ticket from one to the other) and Gillingham to Gillingham, but
I can't recall a real life example.

I've certainly suffered the Gillingham confusion, although not by
train. A couple of years ago I was working in Canterbury for a client
for a week, and was told that I'd need to pop up the road to Gillingham
one afternoon. Despite being pronounced with a soft G it turned out to
be a return drive to Dorset

I've had the Ashford problem. Invited to meet a client by a third party,
who was convinced it was the Middx one, and only at the very last minute
changed his mind to Kent.
Old February 28th 07, 11:59 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 11:11:51 on Wed, 28 Feb
2007, Paul Terry remarked:
It probably happened with Ashford to Ashford (for which I remember
seeing a ticket from one to the other) and Gillingham to Gillingham, but
I can't recall a real life example.

I've certainly suffered the Gillingham confusion, although not by
train. A couple of years ago I was working in Canterbury for a client
for a week, and was told that I'd need to pop up the road to Gillingham
one afternoon. Despite being pronounced with a soft G it turned out to
be a return drive to Dorset

I've had the Ashford problem. Invited to meet a client by a third party,
who was convinced it was the Middx one, and only at the very last minute
changed his mind to Kent.

I've been sent to Farnham when the interviewee was in Fareham. Oh how we
laffed!

We had a sub-editor who was renowned for these sort of mistakes by the name
of Mark Bayliss. One good one was being sent to cover the Orient Express
visiting Weymouth. I'd actually covered the story the previous week so we
had a gentle drive down to Weymouth, a good lunch and then phoned into the
office to find where the train had got to. The girl in the newsroom looked
on her computer and came back with 'You've been Baylissed!' Apparently he
was sat behind her at the time.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old February 28th 07, 02:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Bill Hayles typed

One confusion that happened on several occasions was people arriving at
Hayes (Kent) wanting Hayes (Middlesex).

I saw that when I travelled to Orpington Hospital, where I worked at the
time. Very unhappy passenger, very late for appointment...

I remember meny years ago as a teenager trying to get a ticket to
Chelsfield

so close to my old workplace...

(where I lived) and being issued with one to Chestfield,
which I'm sure occasionally gets confused with Chesterfield and so life
goes on.

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.