Old May 6th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Critique my tube map

This you seem to have managed, but you have the cross-platform
interchange at Oxford Circus wrong - it's Bakerloo and Victoria that
are cross-platform.

Oh, crap - I knew something was wrong with that! X-(
Fixed!

Old May 8th 07, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Fri, 3 May 2007, alex_t wrote:

Don't like your Kennington - you imply there are separate bits of the
station for each branch, when really it's cross-platform. Ditto Mile
End, Oxford Circus, etc. I accept that you may have your reasons for
this, though.

I need to "invent" something special for the cross-platform interchanges
- otherwise they will look just like shared tracks. I'm thinking of
circle split in half or crossed circle.

Your new notation makes cross-platform interchange clearer, but still
looks pretty icky.

How about having cross- or same-platform interchange shown by having both
lines go through a single circle, rather than having two joined circles?
This might make the map look a bit simpler, too. Or are you reserving that
for shared tracks only?

How about having cross-platform circles touching, rather than joined by a
stem. A little bit like the Specsavers logo:

http://www.honitonrc.com/images/specsavers.jpg

Or, indeed, the way it's done at South Ken on the normal tube map:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/images/...-colourmap.gif

Incidentally, can i bring to people's attention the following science:

http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/tube_..._times/applet/

tom

--
Basically, at any given time, most people in the world are wasting time.
Old May 8th 07, 02:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On May 8, 2:49 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
How about having cross- or same-platform interchange shown by having both
lines go through a single circle, rather than having two joined circles?
This might make the map look a bit simpler, too. Or are you reserving that
for shared tracks only?

What about splitting each tube line into two half-width lines, which
then
join up with their respective other halves? So that then there will be
3 circles at Oxford Circus, for example, two of which will have a
light-blue/brown split line going through them, and the other a red
line...

--
Abi

Old May 8th 07, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

How about having cross- or same-platform interchange shown by having
both lines go through a single circle, rather than having two joined
circles?

Bizarrely I came to the same conclusion less than a minute before reading
your post. I also think that the Vic and Northern should go through their
shared circle in a north-south direction to make the direction of the
cross-platform interchange clear.

This might make the map look a bit simpler, too. Or are you
reserving that for shared tracks only?

There is no reason for a passenger looking at a tube map to be told which
interchanges are shared-track and which are cross-platform.

Incidentally, can i bring to people's attention the following science:

http://www.tom-carden.co.uk/p5/tube_..._times/applet/

You certainly can, and thanks!

Old May 8th 07, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 8 May, 15:30, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Bizarrely I came to the same conclusion less than a minute before reading
your post. I also think that the Vic and Northern should go through their
shared circle in a north-south direction to make the direction of the
cross-platform interchange clear.

Well actually a few weeks ago I was working on a map that did just
this. The idea is that a cross platform interchange is as almost as
good as a through journey, so should be shown the same.

http://tinyurl.com/238mn2

As you can see, I got stuck working out the Aldgate triangle and
whether to include the DLR, so East London is missing.

If you can find a continuous line on this map, you can cross London
without traipsing down tunnels or over footbridges. There's various
weirdness that exists solely to back up this point (eg showing where
terminating trains use inconvenient platforms). I've also tried to
show how the Met and Northern actually work, and I count the Northern
City as a tube service, albeit with limited hours. The current
Heathrow layout is probably a mistake. The way I've done Monument/Bank
is deliberate.

Old May 9th 07, 05:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 8 May 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:

How about having cross- or same-platform interchange shown by having
both lines go through a single circle, rather than having two joined
circles?

Bizarrely I came to the same conclusion less than a minute before reading
your post.

Not so bizarre - it's a pretty obvious thing to do. Indeed, it's what the
LU map generally does (well, it puts all lines through single circles when
it can), so it's actualy less bizarre than what Alex has done!

I also think that the Vic and Northern should go through their shared
circle in a north-south direction to make the direction of the
cross-platform interchange clear.

Good point.

This might make the map look a bit simpler, too. Or are you reserving
that for shared tracks only?

There is no reason for a passenger looking at a tube map to be told
which interchanges are shared-track and which are cross-platform.

This map is, AIUI, not for passengers.

tom

--
The fundamental cause of trouble in the world today is that the stupid
are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. -- Bertrand Russell
Old May 8th 07, 02:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

How about having cross- or same-platform interchange shown by having both
lines go through a single circle, rather than having two joined circles?
This might make the map look a bit simpler, too. Or are you reserving that
for shared tracks only?

That's the major problem - if I will put cross-platform interchanges
in one circle, then how would I mark the stations which some line
passes through but does not stop (like Neasden for Metropolitan and
Jubilee, or Chiswick Pack for District and Piccadilly). I was thinking
about half-circles (to the side of the stopping line), but it looks
somewhat weird (especially 'cause it's only for 11 stations).

Old May 9th 07, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 8 May 2007, alex_t wrote:

How about having cross- or same-platform interchange shown by having
both lines go through a single circle, rather than having two joined
circles? This might make the map look a bit simpler, too. Or are you
reserving that for shared tracks only?

That's the major problem - if I will put cross-platform interchanges in
one circle, then how would I mark the stations which some line passes
through but does not stop (like Neasden for Metropolitan and Jubilee, or
Chiswick Pack for District and Piccadilly). I was thinking about
half-circles (to the side of the stopping line), but it looks somewhat
weird (especially 'cause it's only for 11 stations).

How about having the non-stop line go past the circle altogether? Like:

West
Hampstead
-------O----\ /----- Jubilee
-------------=O=------ Metropolitan
Finchley
Road

You can do this even when the two lines share tracks (eg Clapton on the
big railway - is there anywhere this happens on LU?).

Yes. this requires a little geographical deviation, but your map is a map
of lines, which are conceptual entities defined by service patterns of
trains, not a map of tracks, which are those long, thin bits of metal.

tom

Old May 4th 07, 12:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

alex_t wrote:
Last weekend I had nothing to do, so I've drawn my own tube map :-|
http://www.fxfp.com/get/tube/2007/05/m_001.png

Warning! The file is about 500kb and quite large: 5000x3250 pixels.

Any corrections are welcome!

South Wimbledon and Wimbledon are much closer together and Wimbledon and
Morden are close too.
Old May 5th 07, 06:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

South Wimbledon and Wimbledon are much closer together and Wimbledon and
Morden are close too.

Updated (and fixed south District and Northern in general):
http://www.fxfp.com/get/tube/2007/05/m_001.png

Also I made a special version of the map with tomorrow's disruptions
included (or excluded, to be exact):
http://www.fxfp.com/get/tube/2007/05/w_001.png

Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
3D Tube map Dave Arquati London Transport 5 November 19th 03 12:13 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM