Old May 6th 07, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default Critique my tube map

On 6 May, 01:50, Charles Ellson wrote:

London Transport used to issue a "proper" railway map (Underground
lines in usual colours, all BR lines black, main roads shown) the same
size as the bus map until the 1970s but it tended to be of variable
availability from other than the few information booths/offices.

I think you are referring to the "London's Transport Systems" map,
which really was excellent. I think it was first issued in the 1960s,
and lasted into the mid-70s.

It was available in the same format as the bus maps of that era, and
was also displayed in the same size as the Underground map.

For some reason it seems quite rare - I haven't seen one in years, and
never on-line (which is a great pity).

Old May 6th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"alex_t" wrote in message
oups.com...

South Wimbledon and Wimbledon are much closer together and Wimbledon and
Morden are close too.

Updated (and fixed south District and Northern in general):
http://www.fxfp.com/get/tube/2007/05/m_001.png

Nice work. I'd love to see one showing the disused stations, abandoned
stretches of track and unbuilt 1939 Works sections (eg Denham).
What about including the sections currently being built such as the East
London Line Extension and the DLR Woolwich Arsenal station?

Nick

Old May 6th 07, 06:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 6 May 2007 12:11:18 +0100, Tom Anderson
wrote:

And, of course, it currently looks rubbish. I need to sort out the label
overlapping, draw in the actual lines (using a spline fit - i'm not going
for true accuracy yet), apply some colour, and then draw in the rivers and
major areas of uninhabited land.

And make it bigger so that the text in the central area is readable
Old May 6th 07, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 3 May 2007 19:00:47 -0700, alex_t
wrote:

At Bank, isn't the W&C at the northern end, with the Central line?

Updated :-)

Don't like your Kennington - you imply there are separate bits of the
station for each branch, when really it's cross-platform. Ditto Mile End,
Oxford Circus, etc. I accept that you may have your reasons for this,
though.

I need to "invent" something special for the cross-platform
interchanges - otherwise they will look just like shared tracks. I'm
thinking of circle split in half or crossed circle.

This you seem to have managed, but you have the cross-platform
interchange at Oxford Circus wrong - it's Bakerloo and Victoria that
are cross-platform.
Old May 6th 07, 09:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Alex Ingram wrote:

On a side note - are there any alternative geographical versions of the
london connections map? (a quick Google finds none)

There used to be (a huge) close to geographically correct map called
Multi-Modal Map or something like that on the TfL website but I cannot
find it there anymore. The good thing with that map (and the problem
with it) was that it had almost everything that had to do with public
transport on it. Every bus route, every railway, tube-line, DLR,
Tramlink along with all bus stations, railway/tube/tram/DLR stations,
taxi ranks, dial-a-ride stations, most streets, almost every landmark
you could think of and much more, including borough names and borders
etc. The only thing I missed on it was the travelcard zone boundaries.
You had to print it on a 5 x 4 feet paper or something like that to make
out all the details.

Have anyone found that map on the new TfL website?

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451

Old May 6th 07, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

alex_t wrote:

South Wimbledon and Wimbledon are much closer together and Wimbledon and
Morden are close too.

Updated (and fixed south District and Northern in general):
http://www.fxfp.com/get/tube/2007/05/m_001.png

Very nice work I must say. In addition to other comments here I have a
few thing you could ajust if you like.

* Canary Wharf Jubilee Line station is actually located east of the DLR
bridge between Canary Wharf and Heron Quays. For an out-of-station
interchange above ground as this one it feels wrong to have it on the
wrong side, it does not matter very much for underground interchanges
though.

* The same goes for Bow Road - Bow Church. The District Line makes an
S-turn around there and passes over the DLR tracks just south of the Bow
Church station. But I am not sure if it is really useful to correct this
one, maybe you should keep it as it is right now, just like keeping the
Northern Line branches on the wrong side of eachother between Euston and
Camden Town may be a good idea, especially if the main point of the map
is to show how the stations are located more than showing the lines
geographically correct between them.

* The Bank-Monument complex is good, but the DLR platforms are located
close to the Northern Line platforms so it might be better to draw the
interchange to the Northern Line from the DLR terminus, or somewhere
around there.

* The Charing Cross and Embankment stations feel like drawn very far
apart... Especially on the Northern Line those are actually located
*very* close to each other. But this is complicated to draw as (at least
I think that) the two parts of the Charing Cross station, Bakerloo and
Northern, are located longer from each other than Charing Cross and
Embankment platforms on the Northern Line. Maybe you could let the
Northern Line cross over the Bakerloo south of Waterloo or something so
that you can draw the Northern Line's Embankment and Charing Cross
stations closer.

* There is cross-plaform interchange between the Northern Line branches
at Kennington.

* I personally like your colour choise for the DLR. I think it matches
the colour used on DLR signage much more than the official darker green
map colour does.

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old May 6th 07, 09:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 06 May 2007 21:01:25 GMT, Olof Lagerkvist
wrote:

Alex Ingram wrote:

[...]

I haven't, though I may have it on my desktop PC still. (I'm on my
laptop now; can't check).

It's enormous; it fills most of one wall
Old May 6th 07, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 6 Mai, 23:01, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

There used to be (a huge) close to geographically correct map called
Multi-Modal Map or something like that on the TfL website but I cannot
find it there anymore.

Here's a copy, though 'cache' could mean it won't stay long:
http://cache.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/download...-Modal-Map.pdf

Old May 6th 07, 11:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:
On 6 Mai, 23:01, Olof Lagerkvist wrote:

There used to be (a huge) close to geographically correct map called
Multi-Modal Map or something like that on the TfL website but I cannot
find it there anymore.

Here's a copy, though 'cache' could mean it won't stay long:
http://cache.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/download...-Modal-Map.pdf

That is the one. Thanks very much!

--
Olof Lagerkvist
ICQ: 724451
Old May 6th 07, 11:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

This you seem to have managed, but you have the cross-platform
interchange at Oxford Circus wrong - it's Bakerloo and Victoria that
are cross-platform.

Oh, crap - I knew something was wrong with that! X-(
Fixed!

Tube Map Kat London Transport 33 January 31st 04 10:52 PM
Large Print Tube Map John Rowland London Transport 6 January 13th 04 08:18 PM
Eastenders on the Map Was:Tube Map Jim Brown London Transport 7 January 10th 04 06:22 PM
3D Tube map Dave Arquati London Transport 5 November 19th 03 12:13 PM
Credit card sized tube map... Chris London Transport 17 August 10th 03 02:26 PM