Old June 18th 07, 11:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default CYCLISTS THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET INJURED ON BENDY BUS ROUTE- POPE

On 9 Jun, 02:48, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
This is from a London Assembly Liberal Democrats' press release. It
accords with my own experiences:

CYCLISTS THREE TIMES MORE LIKELY TO GET INJURED ON BENDY BUS ROUTE- POPE

Figures released this week by Liberal Democrat Transport spokesman on
the London Assembly, Geoff Pope, showed that cyclists in London are
three times more likely to get injured on a bendy bus route than on
conventional routes. Pedestrians are also twice as likely to get injured
on bendy bus routes. Commenting on the figures, Geoff Pope said:

"Cyclists are three times more likely to get injured on bendy bus routes
as opposed to conventional bus routes. Given there are only 345 bendy
buses, these numbers are worryingly high. We have had claims from
cyclists that they have been terrified to find themselves crowded against
safety barriers by bendy buses making left turns. Both
pedestrians and cyclists find it hard to judge the line the bus is going
to take. TfL have launched a costly advertising campaign about safer
cycling. But these figures show that the money would be better spent
stepping up safety training for drivers as well as a 'how is my driving'
hotline to report poor driving. TfL should order and urgent and full
review of bendy bus routes". Further details from

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Altough I agree with most of the content in your article I strongly
disagree with blaming the drivers the fact is and still remains that
the streets of London are not made for Bendy busses or Bikes, a
cyclist can see a bus but a bus driver may not be able to see a
cyclist due to the many blind spots a bus driver has.

Ron Jackson