Old June 26th 07, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Eating food on the train.

Just another day on SWT.
rant
So today both ways in the rush hour I have to sit next to someone eating
some disgusting thing out of a second hand plastic bag. This morning it
was some objectionable darkening banana with some mix of other noisy
stuff which he helpfully placed on the middle seat on top of the metro
paper for everyone to be irritated by. I never new I was so sensitive to
the smell of over ripe bananas or the noise of them being consimed and
indeed the whole pantomime of opening the containers, balancing them on
a bag while reading a book etc etc.

On the way home his evil twin with a seemingly identical bag peeled an
over ripe orange which sprayed its citric tang in the cabin annoying me
enough to make me move.

At least my moment of thinking I should say something was drowned out by
the South West Trains implementation of the PA system from Glastonbury
which they have put on the trains to make everyones ear drums burst at
the helpful anouncement that we are on a train coach and its going to a
zillion stations and theres a guard and to take our things with us and
not to smoke and and and
/rant

mf
PS In the USA metros in LA and Philly there are signs saying 'no eating'
what a good idea!

Old June 26th 07, 10:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mystery Flyer wrote:
[...]

I travel on FCC regularly. To pass the time I (privately) give my fellow
regular passengers nicknames. I've given one unfortunate women the
nickname 'horse' because I sat opposite her once and during the entire
journey home she loudly and quite disgustingly gourged her self on
crisps, nuts, and all manor of noisy food. The nuts made her earn her
title, she reminded me of a horse eating a sugar cube.

G.
Old June 26th 07, 10:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mystery Flyer" wrote:

Just another day on SWT.
rant
So today both ways in the rush hour I have to sit next to someone eating
some disgusting thing out of a second hand plastic bag. This morning it
was some objectionable darkening banana with some mix of other noisy stuff
which he helpfully placed on the middle seat on top of the metro paper for
everyone to be irritated by. I never new I was so sensitive to the smell
of over ripe bananas or the noise of them being consimed and indeed the
whole pantomime of opening the containers, balancing them on a bag while
reading a book etc etc.

(snip)

I just had to contend with Waynetta Slob on the Jubilee Line, playing
something bearing a loose resemblance to music on her mobile 'phone speaker.

Why are mobile 'phone speakers deliberately engineered to create the most
appalling, tinny noise? The integral speakers on my basic laptop are of a
similar size, but are 1000 times superior.

Chris

Old June 26th 07, 10:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Graham Moore wrote:
To pass the time I (privately) give my fellow
regular passengers nicknames. I've given one unfortunate women the

What a very very good idea. Ive often looked up bluetooth names before
to try to get some insight but I never thought to give people names
myself. I shall try it tomorrow on the long crawl from the sticks to
Farringdon on SN and FCC not via TFL!

mf

Old June 27th 07, 05:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 23:22:37 +0100, Mystery Flyer
wrote:

PS In the USA metros in LA and Philly there are signs saying 'no eating'
what a good idea!

SWT isn't a metro. Manchester Metrolink also bans eating though it is
routinely ignored.

Neil

--
Neil Williams

Old June 27th 07, 07:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Jun 26, 11:22 pm, Mystery Flyer wrote:
[...]

Meals and snacks are also sold on many trains, at an extortionate
price.

Are we to assume that food brought on to the train by common people
stinks, while food sold on the train to those who can afford it by
franchise-holders doesn't stink?

I think I detect some prejudice here.

Old June 27th 07, 07:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 27, 8:11?am, MIG wrote:
[...]

I think I detect some prejudice here.- Hide quoted text -

mig,

As someone who travels on SWT very often (sometimes the whole way to
Weymouth), I doubt if there is anything sold on the trolley that's on
the train that "stinks". It's not prejudice that suggests that what
some people bring onto the train stinks - just common experience.

Marc.

Old June 27th 07, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 27, 8:27 am, " wrote:

As someone who travels on SWT very often (sometimes the whole way to
Weymouth), I doubt if there is anything sold on the trolley that's on
the train that "stinks". It's not prejudice that suggests that what
some people bring onto the train stinks - just common experience.

While you might have a point w.r.t someone eating a doner kebab, a
whole bulb of garlic (as observed by a friend of mine in a bus in
Nigeria) or a durian fruit, the original poster's examples were of
someone eating a banana and an orange - both of which I've definitely
seen sold on trains, although not necessarily on SWT. This suggests
that the original poster may be ever so slightly over-sensitive...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old June 27th 07, 05:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007 22:46:50 GMT, Graham Moore wrote:

[snip rant]

I travel on FCC regularly. To pass the time I (privately) give my fellow
regular passengers nicknames. I've given one unfortunate women the
nickname 'horse' because I sat opposite her once and during the entire
journey home she loudly and quite disgustingly gourged her self on
crisps, nuts, and all manor of noisy food. The nuts made her earn her
title, she reminded me of a horse eating a sugar cube.

This made me smile. It's just as well we are not a telepathic race as
all hell would break lose inside tubes and trains if people's normal
body language is anything to go by.
--
Paul C

Old June 27th 07, 05:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

PS In the USA metros in LA and Philly there are signs saying 'no eating'
what a good idea!

SWT isn't a metro. Manchester Metrolink also bans eating though it is
routinely ignored.

Would kinda scupper their revenue stream from buffet cars and carts, too.
And would you want to be banned from eating on the longer SWT journeys to
Weymouth or Exeter?