Old September 27th 07, 09:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Lack of available trains

On 27 Sep, 06:31, (Neil Williams)
wrote:
Just when I visit the place for the first time in several years...
what surprises will today bring?

No service at all on the Wimbleware, Circle or Hammersmith and ****ty,
if the BBC is anything to go by.

We know A-stock can get between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East
(because that's how units get to and from the ELL) - so why can LUL
not divert [some of] the Met service from Aldgate to join up with the
District?

Single-car D-stock is also allowed on the H&C west of Edgware Road,
but that might be harder to arrange. And HSK - Edgware Road is pretty
much f***ed no matter what...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old September 27th 07, 12:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nicola Redwood
writes

I think you are confused. There is no lack of trains, but there is a
severe lack of trains that are available for service. The trains are
unavailable because of an alleged safety-related defect. "Lack of
available trains" seems to me to be a perfectly clear non-tautological
phrase.

The best announcements I've heard whilst waiting for a Circle line train for
some time at Edgware Rd were "we cannot find the driver" and "the driver
hasn't finished his tea break" Full support for the finishing tea break
driver

The driver is perfectly entitled to his/her break. It's the part of the
working day that you are not being paid by the company, so why shouldn't
they take their half hour? It's also a legal requirement that the
driver has at least a half hour break after 4.25 hours of continuous
driving. When there are problems, it is common (at least on the Picc)
to have a short/late meal break of the minimum allowed and go straight
back out and drive some more.

Just because the person managing the service has failed to handle this
correctly doesn't put the driver at fault as was implied above.
Old September 27th 07, 12:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, John B wrote:

On 27 Sep, 06:31, (Neil Williams)
wrote:

Just when I visit the place for the first time in several years...
what surprises will today bring?

No service at all on the Wimbleware, Circle or Hammersmith and ****ty,
if the BBC is anything to go by.

We know A-stock can get between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East
(because that's how units get to and from the ELL) - so why can LUL not
divert [some of] the Met service from Aldgate to join up with the
District?

The usual panoply of reasons:

- A stock drivers don't have route knowledge beyond Aldgate Junction (do
they?)

- Where would you reverse? A stock can get to Aldgate East, but there are
apparently infringements at Whitechapel, so they'd have to reverse using
the trailing crossover which apparently lies just east of Aldgate East; i
have no idea if it's signalled to make that easy, and even if it is,
that's a reverse on a running line.

- It might be enough additional time that you'd need more trains and
drivers, which might not be available.

- Er ...

- That's it.

tom

--
The future will accost us with boob-slapping ferocity. -- H. G. Wells
Old September 27th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 13:17, Tom Anderson wrote:
We know A-stock can get between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East
(because that's how units get to and from the ELL) - so why can LUL not
divert [some of] the Met service from Aldgate to join up with the
District?

The usual panoply of reasons:

- A stock drivers don't have route knowledge beyond Aldgate Junction (do
they?)

Presumably some of them do, since there's pretty regular rotation of
ELL trains (and indeed, ELL trains are maintained at Neasden).

- Where would you reverse? A stock can get to Aldgate East, but there are
apparently infringements at Whitechapel,

According to CULG, they're allowed on the District between Aldgate
East Junction and Upminster. But at this point you would run into
driver knowledge problems...

so they'd have to reverse using
the trailing crossover which apparently lies just east of Aldgate East; i
have no idea if it's signalled to make that easy, and even if it is,
that's a reverse on a running line.

- It might be enough additional time that you'd need more trains and
drivers, which might not be available.

- Er ...

- That's it.

Yup, that sounds like it.

In another forum, someone has suggested that double-manning would
solve the problem - it certainly would in a 'actual safety' sense, but
since there's no problem in an 'actual safety' sense I'm not sure how
relevant that is...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org

Old September 27th 07, 12:59 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message . com, John
B writes

We know A-stock can get between Liverpool Street and Aldgate East
(because that's how units get to and from the ELL) - so why can LUL not
divert [some of] the Met service from Aldgate to join up with the
District?

The usual panoply of reasons:

- A stock drivers don't have route knowledge beyond Aldgate Junction (do
they?)

Presumably some of them do, since there's pretty regular rotation of
ELL trains (and indeed, ELL trains are maintained at Neasden).

Only ELL drivers know that bit (but there's not a lot of them), but not
Met drivers.

Old September 27th 07, 02:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 27, 1:17 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:
- Where would you reverse? A stock can get to Aldgate East, but there are
apparently infringements at Whitechapel, so they'd have to reverse using

What sort of infringements? Are we talking scaring some pigeons in a
nest as the train passed very close by or are we talking taking a
large gouge out of a tunnel wall?

B2003

Old September 27th 07, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sep 27, 1:29 pm, John B wrote:
According to CULG, they're allowed on the District between Aldgate
East Junction and Upminster. But at this point you would run into
driver knowledge problems...

Given the slothful speed tube trains generally move at I do sometimes
wonder why route knowledge is so important. Obviously on an intercity
train doing 100+ you could easily end up derailing on a high speed
curve if you didn't know it was coming. But whats the worse that can
happen on a tube train crawling along at 20mph thats got tripcocks
anyway? You'd see any curves or points coming up a mile off.

B2003

Old September 27th 07, 02:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

The tunnel wall would be fine, it's the side of the train that wouldn't,
there is also the issue of the various procedures in place on different
lines that would make the running of Met Trains either east or west
along the lower circle line, it's been 3 years since I defected from the
District (the line of sorrows) to the Met and for the life of me I can't
remember much about that whole different world

Old September 27th 07, 04:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
On 27 Sep, 13:17, Tom Anderson wrote:

According to CULG, they're allowed on the District between Aldgate
East Junction and Upminster. But at this point you would run into
driver knowledge problems...

so they'd have to reverse using
the trailing crossover which apparently lies just east of Aldgate
East; i have no idea if it's signalled to make that easy, and even
if it is, that's a reverse on a running line.

- It might be enough additional time that you'd need more trains
and drivers, which might not be available.

- Er ...

- That's it.

Yup, that sounds like it.

In another forum, someone has suggested that double-manning would
solve the problem - it certainly would in a 'actual safety' sense,
but since there's no problem in an 'actual safety' sense I'm not
sure how relevant that is...

It's relevant because you could have a Met driver with A-stock knowledge
and an H&C driver with the route knowledge, but the problem remains
where to reverse.

The issue is then whether the platforms east of Aldgate will take 8
cars, including suitable reversing points such as Whitechapel or
Plaistow.
--
Richard J.

Old September 27th 07, 05:20 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27 Sep, 17:47, "Richard J." wrote:
In another forum, someone has suggested that double-manning would
solve the problem - it certainly would in a 'actual safety' sense,
but since there's no problem in an 'actual safety' sense I'm not
sure how relevant that is...

It's relevant because you could have a Met driver with A-stock knowledge
and an H&C driver with the route knowledge, but the problem remains
where to reverse.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that double-manning *of C-stock* would
solve the "dysfunctional dead man's handle" problem. Double-manning A-
stock with H&C drivers would definitely still leave the "I don't know
how to work this train, and my mate over there doesn't know where he's
going" problem...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org