Old November 1st 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default DLR train makes a bit for freedom

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...f_on_platform/

Old November 1st 07, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Nov, 16:19, Boltar wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...s_staff_on_pla...

Blimey!

I guess the Passenger Service Agent (PSA) leant in and hit the doors
close button whilst still standing on the platform. That's quite a
muck up to make though, and actually sounds like quite a difficult
thing to achieve!

Whilst most unlikely, if there had been a problem on the track
somewhere before the next station, or some other kind of problem, then
the lack of a PSA could have led to a bigger issue than just a delay.

That said, automatically driven unstaffed metro do exist elsewhere
without problems (something I learnt only recently from other utl
posters, proving again how little I know!).

Wonder if any of the Central line drivers might like to try doing
this?!

P.S. I've just followed The Register's link to the Londonist blog,
which was where this story originated from. To read about it from the
horses mouth go he
http://londonist.com/2007/10/runaway_dlr.php

Old November 1st 07, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2007-11-01, Mizter T wrote:
On 1 Nov, 16:19, Boltar wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...s_staff_on_pla...

Blimey!

I guess the Passenger Service Agent (PSA) leant in and hit the doors
close button whilst still standing on the platform. That's quite a
muck up to make though, and actually sounds like quite a difficult
thing to achieve!

I think that pulling the PSA key out has the same effect, and would be
easier to do - both physically and as a likely result of momemtary
absent-mindedness.

That said, automatically driven unstaffed metro do exist elsewhere
without problems (something I learnt only recently from other utl
posters, proving again how little I know!).

Lille would be the nearest one, I think.

e.
Old November 1st 07, 09:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 2007-11-01, Mizter T wrote:

On 1 Nov, 16:19, Boltar wrote:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/11...s_staff_on_pla...

Blimey!

I guess the Passenger Service Agent (PSA) leant in and hit the doors
close button whilst still standing on the platform. That's quite a
muck up to make though, and actually sounds like quite a difficult
thing to achieve!

I think that pulling the PSA key out has the same effect, and would be
easier to do - both physically and as a likely result of momemtary
absent-mindedness.

Ah, that makes a bit of sense. I don't think the PSA is required to
release the doors though, so the passengers wouldn't be locked in at
the next station.

That said, automatically driven unstaffed metro do exist elsewhere
without problems (something I learnt only recently from other utl
posters, proving again how little I know!).

Lille would be the nearest one, I think.

Lille is totally closed in with JLE style platform edge doors (the
first place I remember seeing such things), so there isn't the same
risk of someone being dragged under the train etc. Maybe some risk,
but a bit less.

Old November 1st 07, 10:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
No Name

"Mizter T" wrote in message
ups.com...

Wonder if any of the Central line drivers might like to try doing
this?!

I don't think that's possible, considering where the release buttons are
located. They'd probably also run a real risk of getting dragged.

Old November 1st 07, 11:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 1 Nov, 20:48, Mizter T wrote:
Wonder if any of the Central line drivers might like to try doing
this?!

I read a story online somewhere (can't find it now) about a Victoria
Line driver getting out of his train when stuck at a red signal, but
without deactivating the ATO. As soon as the signal cleared, the train
restarted itself, narrowly missing him.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

Old November 2nd 07, 06:52 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Nov, 20:48, Mizter T wrote:
Wonder if any of the Central line drivers might like to try doing
this?!

I read a story online somewhere (can't find it now) about a Victoria
Line driver getting out of his train when stuck at a red signal, but
without deactivating the ATO. As soon as the signal cleared, the train
restarted itself, narrowly missing him.

Thinking of which, what do LU drrivers do when they need to spring
a leak ? Is there no sort of in-cab facility ?

Jim Hawkins

Old November 2nd 07, 08:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Nov 1, 10:39 pm, MIG wrote:

Lille would be the nearest one, I think.

Lille is totally closed in with JLE style platform edge doors (the
first place I remember seeing such things), so there isn't the same
risk of someone being dragged under the train etc. Maybe some risk,
but a bit less.

I've been on the lille one and even on a sunday it was crowded (mind
you , the trains are ridiculously narrow which doesn't help). I really
wouldn't want to be stuck on a broken down one in the rush hour
knowing that there was no one on board who could help.

B2003

Old November 2nd 07, 10:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Nov, 20:48, Mizter T wrote:
Wonder if any of the Central line drivers might like to try doing
this?!

I read a story online somewhere (can't find it now) about a Victoria
Line driver getting out of his train when stuck at a red signal, but
without deactivating the ATO. As soon as the signal cleared, the train
restarted itself, narrowly missing him.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London

I thought it was in a platform where a door had got stuck and he went to
give it a shove. Did so, and voila the train shot off.

Old November 2nd 07, 10:19 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim Hawkins" wrote in message

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
ups.com...
On 1 Nov, 20:48, Mizter T wrote:
Wonder if any of the Central line drivers might like to try doing
this?!

I read a story online somewhere (can't find it now) about a Victoria
Line driver getting out of his train when stuck at a red signal, but
without deactivating the ATO. As soon as the signal cleared, the train
restarted itself, narrowly missing him.

Thinking of which, what do LU drrivers do when they need to spring
a leak ? Is there no sort of in-cab facility ?

There is no in-cab facility. The driver uses a headwall autophone to call
the nearest depot in advance to request a PNR - Personal Needs Relief, the
DMT then tasks a spare operator to meet the train and run it from the relief
point to terminus and back to enable to booked operator to "spring his or
her leak" and then rejoin their train. Possible caveats are that no spares
are available, the need is urgent or the train is past the relief point. No
spares or past relief point - hang on to terminus and run round as required
until operator ready to continue, need is urgent - secure train in next
platform and use station facilities. There are a couple of "non-approved"
options involving fizzy pop bottles or stopping in the tunnel, opening the
"M" door and trying not to hit the juice rail that we won't go into...
--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.