Old November 6th 07, 11:25 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "Queen to open St Pancras station" today

In message , at 11:46:28 on Tue, 6
Nov 2007, R.C. Payne remarked:
Will the new St.P Thameslink station have the capacity to turn trains
round to/from the north?

It would extraordinarily remiss if it didn't.

If this is so, presumably FCC believe this will obviate the need to
use St.P Midland.

Indeed so. Or to have to do it at Kentish Town.

Old November 6th 07, 11:50 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"R.C. Payne" wrote in message
Nathan wrote:
Yes, FCC (as it is now) has access rights to St Pancras station,
normally only used when the tunnels are shut.

FCC may have station rights but, i'm told, FCC drivers will not be
maintaining route knowledge into St.P so in a very short time all FCC
drivers will not be able to go in there. You do have to wonder where all
the trains will go when Moorgate is closed in 2008 and where they will go
in the meantime if anything closes central london. I know its not ideal
but Kentish Town is more than likely the answer as you can use Platforms
3 and 4 to terminate in when there is through-london running and in the
event of a total london block you can use all four platforms to terminate
in. This would be more capacity than St. P as there is only 4 platforms
to share with MML who have amazingly long turn-around times.

Will the new St.P Thameslink station have the capacity to turn trains
round to/from the north? If this is so, presumably FCC believe this will
obviate the need to use St.P Midland.

As I posted earlier, it is plain from FCC's engineering works posters that
they do indeed have the capacity to turn trains at St Pancras International
(low level platforms).

Paul

Old November 6th 07, 01:31 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080278.stm

The opening will happen this evening (not least because Bettie is a
bit tied up giving a speech at some riverside club house during the
day).

Surely to save taxpayers money, she should have made her way directly there
in the golden coach straight after delivering Gordon's speech!

Old November 6th 07, 02:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

MichaelJP wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080278.stm

The opening will happen this evening (not least because Bettie is a
bit tied up giving a speech at some riverside club house during the
day).

Surely to save taxpayers money, she should have made her way directly there
in the golden coach straight after delivering Gordon's speech!

Perhaps the said coach is out of gauge on the Circle Line.

--
http://gallery120232.fotopic.net/p9683693.html
(51344 (Class 117) at Oxford, 2 Jun 1985)
Old November 6th 07, 04:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

As I posted earlier, it is plain from FCC's engineering works posters that
they do indeed have the capacity to turn trains at St Pancras
International (low level platforms).

I did have a chuckle at one piece of propaganda that said there have been 16
sets of points upgraded between Kentish Town and Kings Cross. Could anyone
name them all?

AFAIAA there will be no turnback facilities at St P. International LL (no
signals and no pointwork). Given that any future work or blocks will be
south of Kings Cross Thameslink station, I can only imagine that all
turnback trains will just travel empty to KX and then use the pointwork that
was originally used for trains terminating there from the south during the
original blockade of Kings Cross. I can see a split service of trains
terminating at Kentish Town and some terminating at St. Pancras

Old November 6th 07, 05:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

"Mizter T" wrote in message
oups.com...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080278.stm

The other is that the surrounding roads are now open as of Saturday
3rd November (so the sign said). As far as I could see (but I may have
got it wrong) Pancras Road is fully open for two-way traffic all the
way from Euston Road up to the Goods Way / Camley Street junction, and
Midland Road is open for one-way southbound traffic into Euston Road.
The taxi rank is now on Midland Road, and that's now the taxi drop-off
point as well (as opposed to the old location on Pancras Road).

The southbound route from Goods Way

(along Pancras Road)

is a taxi (and goods vehicle) only route

And pushbike! How about buses? Until recently, they were going that way
too, but now i think about it, i don't recall seeing any yesterday or this
morning on my way to work.

for the Kings Cross rank which is now on the west of that station (the
internal rank alongside KX platform 1 has been closed for a while. I
took a walk up there last Saturday, and its remarkable how many car
drivers didn't understand the signage, and found themselves in a queue
of taxis , with a double white line on their offside!

Well, car drivers are a dozy lot, so who can blame them.

The key to understanding it is that Pancras and Midland roads, along with
the eastbound lane of Euston Road, now form a wrong-way-round gyratory
encircling St Pancras station.

tom

--
But for [Flavor Flav's] "YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAH BOYYYYYYYYYY"s alone he should
be given Rap Legend status. -- Nate Patrin, ILX
Old November 6th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6 Nov, 08:57, Mizter T wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080278.stm

The opening will happen this evening [...]

I'm currently watching the ghost of Barlow speak at a webcast of the
event he
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._webcast.shtml

Old November 6th 07, 06:23 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 11:14:37 -0800, Mizter T
wrote:

On 6 Nov, 08:57, Mizter T wrote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080278.stm

The opening will happen this evening [...]

I'm currently watching the ghost of Barlow speak at a webcast of the
event he
http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/content/..._webcast.shtml

I watched it too.

Cabaret with garnish of spin.

Old November 6th 07, 07:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 6 Nov, 10:54, "Paul Scott" wrote:
"R.C. Payne" wrote in message

Mizter T wrote:

Oh, and last thing - unless I've got this one wrong St Pancras station
appears to have it's own logo - which is neither the Eurostar logo nor
the HS1 logo - it's black and white and I couldn't really work out
what it was supposed to depict but I could only find it on street
signs around the station rather than on the station itself.

My memory (faulty?) is that all the Network Rail run London stations have
a logo associated with them. Is this the logo you have seen?

No, because St. P ain't a Network Rail station and has hence never had
a Network Rail logo (in fact I think those logos used for Network
Rail's major stations were in fact inherited from Railtrack).

That was my thought initially, someone's posted a link to those logos in the
past, but at the moment St Pancras isn't run by NR. Was it before the
rebuild, or did MML run it like the other 'minor' stations such as
Marylebone (Chiltern) and Fenchurch St (c2c)?

I'm sure I've read that St Pancras station became the property of
London & Continental Railways at the time of privatisation - i.e. it
was handed over from BRB ownership directly to LCR in the mid 90's,
and hence has never been a Railtrack/ Network Rail owned station. How
it was managed on a day to day basis I can't say - I can only assume
that Midland Mainline (the TOC) was basically responsible for that
side of things.

Old November 6th 07, 08:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
There are very regular closures of the Thameslink route from the new year
onwards, IIRC from FCC publicity, some trains will be reversing at St
Pancras International (formerly Midland Rd).

There was something you missed. I passed through Luton this morning and
read a FCC poster that explicitly stated that during the closures you
mentioned a limited FCC service would operate to/from platforms 1-4 at
St Pancras - i.e. the Midland Main Line high-level platforms. The only
exception is the weekend before the New Year when Carlton Road Junction
will be renewed (about bloody time too!) - FCC trains will proceed no
further south than West Hampstead Thameslink.