Old November 8th 07, 12:36 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "Queen to open St Pancras station" today

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as John
Rowland gently breathed:

That is a terrible reason to make a road one-way. Suppose that you lived at
the north end of Judd Street and visited your girlfriend in Chalton Street
regularly - would you still think that the above constituted a good reason
to make Judd Street s/b only? Bear in mind that there no left turn out of
Mabledon Place, and you can't get out Dukes Road either, and I don't think
the right turn from Tavistock Place to Tavistock Sq is allowed, and you
can't do a right turn to Euston Road from Upper Woburn Place or Gordon
Street.

But should you be using a motor vehicle for such a short trip anyway?

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net
Hard Rock, Leeds http://www.hard-rock.org.uk

Old November 8th 07, 12:37 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Roland
Perry gently breathed:
In message , at 18:40:02 on
Wed, 7 Nov 2007, John Rowland
remarked:
I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

The "airside" part of St Pancras is well under half of the lower level
of the new station. Upstairs it's also a little under half, but visible
from the domestic sections.

I believe part of the advertising for St Pancras as a destination in
it's own right is that people will be able to watch the trains come and
go. Of course this will require the various shops, station staff, etc.
not to stick tacky paper signs and notices all over the glass walls.

Old November 8th 07, 01:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as John
Rowland gently breathed:

That is a terrible reason to make a road one-way. Suppose that you
lived at the north end of Judd Street and visited your girlfriend in
Chalton Street regularly - would you still think that the above
constituted a good reason to make Judd Street s/b only? Bear in mind
that there no left turn out of Mabledon Place, and you can't get out
Dukes Road either, and I don't think the right turn from Tavistock
Place to Tavistock Sq is allowed, and you can't do a right turn to
Euston Road from Upper Woburn Place or Gordon Street.

But should you be using a motor vehicle for such a short trip anyway?

That depends on the time of day, how much stuff you have to bring, whether
you've got 4000 pounds in your pocket, whether you're a national hate figure
etc. Or maybe you're delivery man who has to make deliveries at Judd St and
Chalton Street. Or you live in Judd Street and car-pool with someone who
lives in Chalton Street.

Old November 8th 07, 03:08 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 17:49:42 GMT, Chris Tolley
wrote:

Paul Scott wrote:

Its that difficult to understand sign that usually gets referred to as
'Danger - low flying motorbikes' - most car drivers are pretty well
aware of the normal 'No Entry' sign...

The sign would have to be triangular to have the meaning you suggest.

Like "Danger - man struggling to open umbrella"?
Old November 8th 07, 08:30 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Chris Tolley" wrote in message
Paul Scott wrote:

Its that difficult to understand sign that usually gets referred to as
'Danger - low flying motorbikes' - most car drivers are pretty well
aware of the normal 'No Entry' sign...

The sign would have to be triangular to have the meaning you suggest.
Being circular it must prohibit low-flying motorbikes, like the one that
prohibits drivers of vehicles with sun roofs having yellow afro hairdos.

I don't really care - that is definitely the joke meaning schoolboys have
applied to it for years...

Paul

Old November 8th 07, 08:49 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Pyromancer" wrote in message
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Roland Perry
gently breathed:
In message , at 18:40:02 on Wed, 7
Nov 2007, John Rowland remarked:
I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

The "airside" part of St Pancras is well under half of the lower level of
the new station. Upstairs it's also a little under half, but visible from
the domestic sections.

I believe part of the advertising for St Pancras as a destination in it's
own right is that people will be able to watch the trains come and go. Of
course this will require the various shops, station staff, etc. not to
stick tacky paper signs and notices all over the glass walls.

Er.. I think the vast majority of the shops would need glass ceilings to
see the trains from them, they're nearly all in the area under the
extension, with a minority in the undercroft.

At platform level the eaterie and pub at the buffer end apparently have
outside seating, then there is the champagne bar, and behind it a brasserie;
there are also a couple of small eats places and a WH Smith. These places
are effectively on the outside the train shed, the food place nearest the
MML platforms has doors onto the concourse, but the rest of the wall is
solid brick IIRC...

Paul

Old November 8th 07, 10:11 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Nov 2007, John Rowland wrote:

Pyromancer wrote:
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as John
Rowland gently breathed:

That is a terrible reason to make a road one-way. Suppose that you
lived at the north end of Judd Street and visited your girlfriend in
Chalton Street regularly - would you still think that the above
constituted a good reason to make Judd Street s/b only?

I was more asking if it would be a good idea, rather than asserting it.
But in this particular case, since i'd be walking, i wouldn't have much of
an opinion.

Bear in mind that there no left turn out of Mabledon Place,

I didn't know that. Any idea what the reason for that is?

and you can't get out Dukes Road either, and I don't think the right
turn from Tavistock Place to Tavistock Sq is allowed,

I know you can't turn right if you're coming the other way, to get to
Woburn Place; i'm not sure about the other way. There have been roadworks
at that junction for as long as i can remember, so it's been a while since
i've seen it in normal operation.

and you can't do a right turn to Euston Road from Upper Woburn Place
or Gordon Street.

But should you be using a motor vehicle for such a short trip anyway?

That depends on the time of day, how much stuff you have to bring,
whether you've got 4000 pounds in your pocket, whether you're a national
hate figure etc. Or maybe you're delivery man who has to make deliveries
at Judd St and Chalton Street.

We should get a count of the number of such people, and of the number of
people coming south out of Midland Road and wanting to turn right, so that
we can do a cost-benefit analysis.

Or you live in Judd Street and car-pool with someone who lives in
Chalton Street.

In which case one of you has a nice brisk walk to start your day.

tom

--
What? Yeah!
Old November 8th 07, 10:29 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Ar" wrote in message
On Wed, 07 Nov 2007 21:51:23 +0000, Paul Corfield scribed:

As we are doing St Pancras I happened to spot in the BBC schedules next
week what looks like a new series tracing the development of the site.

Tuesday 13/11/07 22.00-22.30 BBC2

Zzzzz!

How about something MORE interesting about the development of the
Eurostar train?

If they were going to do that at all, wouldn't it have been better about 15
years ago when they were new on the scene?

Paul

Old November 8th 07, 11:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Pyromancer wrote:
[...]

So we should ban every possible human action unless enough voters want to do
it? Are you a New Labour cabinet member by any chance?

Old November 8th 07, 01:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:40:02 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

I took a look round yesterday lunchtime. Unless you were taking part
in the IVT trials, the only part of the actual trainshed you could
access was at the Northwestern edge, where a few new retail outlets
have opened - opposite the ends of the MML platforms.

Lots of announcements on the Tube stations advising people that they
had to go to Waterloo still, and not St. Pancras, to catch Eurostar
trains!