Old November 9th 07, 07:32 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default "Queen to open St Pancras station" today

In article ,
Mike Roebuck wrote:
On Wed, 7 Nov 2007 18:40:02 -0000, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

I took a look round yesterday lunchtime. Unless you were taking part
in the IVT trials,

I was involved in the IVT trials, but I'm not allowed to talk about
what I saw in there because of the confidentiality agreement. Much of
the concourse was still behind hoardings anyway, due to retail
fit-out, so I didn't really get a feel for what it'll be like in there
when everything is open.

Old November 9th 07, 03:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Paul Scott
gently breathed:

Its that difficult to understand sign that usually gets referred to as
'Danger - low flying motorbikes' - most car drivers are pretty well aware of
the normal 'No Entry' sign...

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse, drivers already
routinely abuse "low flying bikes" signs plated "except for access" by
claiming they are accessing something beyond the restriction, when in
fact they should be taking an alternative route round it.

There are plated "no entry" signs at a bus gate just outside my office
which are regularly abused.

--
- DJ Pyromancer, Black Sheep, Leeds. http://www.sheepish.net
Hard Rock, Leeds http://www.hard-rock.org.uk
Old November 9th 07, 03:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Pyromancer" wrote in message
Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Paul Scott
gently breathed:

Its that difficult to understand sign that usually gets referred to as
'Danger - low flying motorbikes' - most car drivers are pretty well aware
of
the normal 'No Entry' sign...

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating the
"no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse, drivers already routinely
abuse "low flying bikes" signs plated "except for access" by claiming they
are accessing something beyond the restriction, when in fact they should
be taking an alternative route round it.

There are plated "no entry" signs at a bus gate just outside my office
which are regularly abused.

Sad to say, the only thing that'd keep ordinary cars out would be a physical
barrier, or rising bollards, but then you'd get people trying to tailgate an
allowed vehicle through. Having said that, its having it mixed up amongst
an ordinary traffic light controlled crossroads that doesn't help, across
the road there is a dedicated taxi lane that allows northbound taxis to go
round to Midland Rd, bypassing the lights etc, now that seems more resistant
to ordinary cars for some reason...

Paul

Old November 9th 07, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Pyromancer" wrote

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse,

I suspect that 'No Entry (except buses)' would suffer less abuse (though not
zero) than 'No Motor Vehicles (except buses)'

I am not sure how it is signed currently, but at one time Tyburn Way at
Marble Arch was signed 'No Entry' at the north end, and 'No Entry (except
buses on route 500)' at the south end .

Peter

Old November 9th 07, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 9 Nov 2007 17:19:13 -0000, "Peter Masson"
wrote:

"Pyromancer" wrote

The no-entry sign applies to all vehicles, while the "low flying bikes"
one can be plated to modify its meaning. The DfT discourages plating
the "no entry" sign as that tends to lead to abuse,

I suspect that 'No Entry (except buses)' would suffer less abuse (though not
zero) than 'No Motor Vehicles (except buses)'

The former would affect all road traffic (including cycles) while the
latter would not.

I am not sure how it is signed currently, but at one time Tyburn Way at
Marble Arch was signed 'No Entry' at the north end, and 'No Entry (except
buses on route 500)' at the south end .

When I last saw it ISTR the route-specific bit wasn't there.

Old November 10th 07, 12:51 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

most car drivers are pretty well
aware of the normal 'No Entry' sign...

In South London they're aware it means "Enter this road in reverse gear".

Old November 10th 07, 07:12 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
Paul Scott wrote:
most car drivers are pretty well
aware of the normal 'No Entry' sign...

In South London they're aware it means "Enter this road in reverse gear".

I think you mean "Enta" not "Enter" in "Sarf" dialect.
Old November 14th 07, 11:43 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I suspect that 'No Entry (except buses)' would suffer less abuse (though not
zero) than 'No Motor Vehicles (except buses)'

The former would affect all road traffic (including cycles) while the
latter would not.

But the rules don't apply to bicycles anyway surely.

--
David Cantrell | Cake Smuggler Extraordinaire

Guns aren't the problem. People who deserve to die are the problem.