Old November 7th 07, 06:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

Default "Queen to open St Pancras station" today

All the events and run up to the opening of St. Pancras International brings
up one question in my mind: What will happen with the old Waterloo
International and all the equipment there?

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

"John Rowland" wrote in message

I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

I don't think access will be as limited as you might imagine after next
Wednesday. Only the arrival and departure areas/lounges for Eurostar will
be off limits, where security and passport control takes place, but they
are in the undercroft level. There will be pretty good access otherwise,
at both undercroft level for the shops, and the route from the underground
Western ticket hall, past the Eurostar sales office to the domestic
concourse, and from the front of the station, at platform level, through
the old taxi access, across and up the west side all the way to the MML
platforms.

If you were to have visited a few days ago, you wouldn't have got down the
length of the main shed, but only because shopfitting etc was still going
on, I'm not sure if any more has opened since the Queen's visit last
night, but as major stations go I believe access will be quite good...

A few months ago I had no problem walking to the end of one of the vacant
MML platforms for a look round, however they normally man their barriers
if there is a train there.

Paul

Old November 7th 07, 06:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
. uk...
All the events and run up to the opening of St. Pancras International
brings up one question in my mind: What will happen with the old Waterloo
International and all the equipment there?

99% lprobable to be rebuilt for SWT use, indeed the recent NR business plan
reports the first platform (20?) will be made available during next year.
Making full use of the international side requires the current 6 track
approach to Waterloo to be reverted to the former 8 track as well, this
would require the Nine Elms flyover to be demolished. Just about all the
detail you might need is in this DfT report. .

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/rail/pi/wi...waterlooin3459

The best use is reckoned to be for the SWT long distance trains though, so a
flyover east of Clapham Junction to swap the SWML and Windsor lines over
from their current locations is also a recommendation.

Paul

Old November 7th 07, 08:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , at 18:40:02 on Wed,
7 Nov 2007, John Rowland
remarked:
I presume we won't be allowed into most of St Pancras when the Eurostars
start running, but are we allowed to explore it now?

The "airside" part of St Pancras is well under half of the lower level
of the new station. Upstairs it's also a little under half, but visible
from the domestic sections.
Old November 7th 07, 08:51 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:57:42 -0800, Mizter T wrote:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7080278.stm

The opening will happen this evening (not least because Bettie is a
bit tied up giving a speech at some riverside club house during the
day).

As we are doing St Pancras I happened to spot in the BBC schedules next
week what looks like a new series tracing the development of the site.

Tuesday 13/11/07 22.00-22.30 BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings..._4224_24705_30

--
Paul C

Old November 7th 07, 09:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

The southbound route from Goods Way

(along Pancras Road)

is a taxi (and goods vehicle) only route

And pushbike! How about buses? Until recently, they were going that way
too, but now i think about it, i don't recall seeing any yesterday or
this morning on my way to work.

It seems they stopped going that way on November 4th. I saw no
warning of this (I use the bus stop outside the KX suburban
platforms regularly) and today the bus stop itself
had already disappeared, although the shelter is still
there. They go down Midland Road now. There were a fair number
of confused passengers milling around outside KX today
wondering where the buses had gone.

Old November 7th 07, 09:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

As we are doing St Pancras I happened to spot in the BBC schedules
next week what looks like a new series tracing the development of the
site.

Tuesday 13/11/07 22.00-22.30 BBC2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings..._4224_24705_30

It's a six-part series, according to the "Radio Times". Part one is at 22:00
next Tuesday and part two is the following day at the same time. Part three
is then the following Tuesday.

Old November 7th 07, 09:37 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/listings...y=tuesday&serv...

It's a six-part series, according to the "Radio Times". Part one is at 22:00
next Tuesday and part two is the following day at the same time. Part three
is then the following Tuesday.

Thanks. I'm certain I'm not alone in finding it very frustrating not
knowing how many episodes a television series will have, let alone
when the next episodes will be. It's really basic information, so I
find it really shabby that the broadcasters website can fail to
provide it.

Old November 7th 07, 10:57 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 7 Nov, 22:00, Kevin ashley
wrote:
Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

The southbound route from Goods Way

(along Pancras Road)

is a taxi (and goods vehicle) only route

And pushbike! How about buses? Until recently, they were going that way
too, but now i think about it, i don't recall seeing any yesterday or
this morning on my way to work.

It seems they stopped going that way on November 4th. I saw no
warning of this (I use the bus stop outside the KX suburban
platforms regularly) and today the bus stop itself
had already disappeared, although the shelter is still
there. They go down Midland Road now. There were a fair number
of confused passengers milling around outside KX today
wondering where the buses had gone.

I must say it's pretty shabby of TfL Buses to have failed to put up
any posters or signs about this move.

Old November 7th 07, 11:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 7 Nov 2007, Kevin ashley wrote:

Tom Anderson wrote:
On Tue, 6 Nov 2007, Paul Scott wrote:

The southbound route from Goods Way

(along Pancras Road)

is a taxi (and goods vehicle) only route

And pushbike! How about buses? Until recently, they were going that way
too, but now i think about it, i don't recall seeing any yesterday or
this morning on my way to work.

It seems they stopped going that way on November 4th. I saw no warning
of this (I use the bus stop outside the KX suburban platforms regularly)
and today the bus stop itself had already disappeared, although the
shelter is still there. They go down Midland Road now. There were a fair
number of confused passengers milling around outside KX today wondering
where the buses had gone.

Hmm. They've not done a great job with signage and information generally,
really.

I can confirm that Pancras Road is bikeable - the sign controlling entry
is the 'no Evel Knievel' sign (with a taxi exemption), which doesn't
exclude bikes, and there's a bike box halfway along. It's not a great bike
route, though, as it's permanently full of stationary traffic (taxis
waiting), and the lane isn't wide enough for a bike and a cab, which means
you're usually noodling along on the wrong side of the double white line.
I think i'm going to switch to Midland Road - even though there's not as
much to look at!

Also, i noticed that the right turn out of Judd Street (as you come north
up to Euston Road, opposite Midland Road), is now permitted. It used to be
banned, as a right turn here conflicts with traffic coming south out of
Midland Road. I assume the reason it's now allowed is that Midland Road is
now southbound only, so there's no way for traffic coming up Judd Street
to get anywhere much if it can't turn right. This seems a retrograde step,
though - now Midland Road is southbound only, the last thing cars coming
down it and wanting to go south or west want is to have to face off
against cars turning across them! It probably won't be that bad, what with
the tides and Judd Street being a fairly minor road, but it still seems
odd. Could Judd Street have been made one way southbound too?

tom

--
Understanding the universe is the final purpose, as far as I'm
concerned. -- Ian York
Old November 7th 07, 11:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Also, i noticed that the right turn out of Judd Street (as you come
north up to Euston Road, opposite Midland Road), is now permitted. It
used to be banned, as a right turn here conflicts with traffic coming
south out of Midland Road. I assume the reason it's now allowed is
that Midland Road is now southbound only, so there's no way for
traffic coming up Judd Street to get anywhere much if it can't turn
right. This seems a retrograde step, though - now Midland Road is
southbound only, the last thing cars coming down it and wanting to go
south or west want is to have to face off against cars turning across
them! It probably won't be that bad, what with the tides and Judd
Street being a fairly minor road, but it still seems odd. Could Judd
Street have been made one way southbound too?

That is a terrible reason to make a road one-way. Suppose that you lived at
the north end of Judd Street and visited your girlfriend in Chalton Street
regularly - would you still think that the above constituted a good reason
to make Judd Street s/b only? Bear in mind that there no left turn out of
Mabledon Place, and you can't get out Dukes Road either, and I don't think
the right turn from Tavistock Place to Tavistock Sq is allowed, and you
can't do a right turn to Euston Road from Upper Woburn Place or Gordon
Street.