Old November 15th 07, 11:54 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar's south London farewell

"G" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:00:55 +0000, Ar wrote:

At least Eurostar will get less people using the service. No matter
what you say, for day trippers from the continent, St.Pancras may as
well be on the backside of the moon.

So, by your logic, lots of people also avoid going to Paris for the
day because of the location of Gare du Nord?

At Paris Nord, the move to St Pancras is advertised as taking Eurostar
nearer to Central London, which appears to confim that Eurostar think they
are now in a better location....

Paul

Old November 15th 07, 12:29 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

G wrote:

I wonder just how many E* travellers unfamiliar with London have ended
up on the southbound Bank branch of the Northern line expecting it to
take them to Waterloo...?

The same as the number who will now end up on the Charing Cross branch
expecting it to take them to St Pancras.

Old November 15th 07, 01:46 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

On Nov 13, 4:30 pm, John B wrote:
On 13 Nov, 17:00, Ar wrote:

At least Eurostar will get less people using the service. No matter
what you say, for day trippers from the continent, St.Pancras may as
well be on the backside of the moon.

I bet you ten thousand pounds that you're talking complete and utter
rubbish, and that E* visitor numbers will be higher in the year from
November 14 2007 to November 13 2008 than in the year November 14 2006
to November 13 2007.

My contact details are below, if you're shy about accepting the bet
online.

Gotta love the deafening silence that followed this one.

Jonn Elledge
Old November 15th 07, 02:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Lüko Willms" wrote in message
Am Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:56:38 UTC, schrieb Ar auf
uk.railway :

Anyway, for visually unintersting bordom, I think this persons video
just about sums up the new Eurostar route.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=A0GRF6d8EAg

The view is exclusively to the "outer" side, if I may say so, i.e.
away from the central parts of London. No idea how the view to the
other side might look like.

I found strange that I could see tracks to the left of the train --
the line is supposed to be double track, and on Great Britain trains
run normally on the left track. Was this video taken on one of the
test runs with volunteers? Well, after the line is opened officially
for commercial traffic, we will see more imagery and videos.

Various explanations I think. Leaving St Pancras, I don't think it becomes
normal 2 track railway until very close to the tunnel entrance, there are
various cross overs, flyunders etc to sort out the routes to the Eurostar
and Kent domestic platforms without conflicts. Through the Stratford
station 'box', the through track is the centre 1 of 3, with platform loops
either side. Between the east London tunnel portal and the Thames tunnel,
can't say. Perhaps it was wrong line working, or the videoed in up direction
and video played backwards...

Paul

Old November 15th 07, 02:19 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:

"G" wrote in message
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 16:00:55 +0000, Ar wrote:

At least Eurostar will get less people using the service. No matter
what you say, for day trippers from the continent, St.Pancras may as
well be on the backside of the moon.

So, by your logic, lots of people also avoid going to Paris for the
day because of the location of Gare du Nord?

At Paris Nord, the move to St Pancras is advertised as taking Eurostar
nearer to Central London, which appears to confim that Eurostar think they
are now in a better location....

Paul

I'd suggest that it merely confirms that is one part of their
advertising strategy.

St. Pancras and Waterloo as locations both have their plus and minus
points. I suppose there is a larger amount of potential hotel
accommodation for tourists nearer St Pancras than is the case with
Waterloo, though many of the hotels in the West End are broadly
equidistant from either station. Of course there's more Underground
lines which might help people get to where they want to go easier.
Old November 15th 07, 03:36 PM posted to uk.railway, uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:
John Rowland wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

Of course. Maybe I should have said "as of today, no more" - or
indeed "as of yesterday evening, no more" - however other posts
here have basically indicated that North Pole depot shut up shop
yesterday, so Eurostar ECS through Queenstown Road was basically a
thing of the past

No, North Pole depot is still open but Waterloo International is
shut!

Not really John, though it depends upon what you mean by open. The
North Pole depot has basically shut up shop now, as AIUI there are no
longer any Eurostar trains there at all anymore, nor have there been
since the last Eurostar left for an an ECS move to Waterloo
International sometime on tuesday (13 Nov).

I'm sorry, I remember all the talk about how the Eurostars would use the NLL
to get from St Pancras to North Pole, and completely missed out on the
subsequent decision to close North Pole.

No problem. The decision to move to Temple Mills (or at least the firm
decision - it might have been an aspiration for a while) appears to
have been taken quite late in the day - from a quick search of
uk.railway perhaps it was taken in 2004, at the same time Eurostar
took the decision to quit Waterloo.

AIUI the new Temple Mills Eurostar depot was paid for by central
government, and in return the government will be transferred ownership
of Waterloo International (and possibly also the North Pole depot as
well) - I'm a bit hazy on this to be honest, but I'm pretty sure both
sites will come into the ownership of central government and at least
one of them was in effect a swap deal (if not both of them).

A significant benefit is that the NLL won't be clogged up with
Eurostars en-route to and from St. Pancras (and AFAICS a North Pole to
St. Pancras ECS move would require the Eurostar to be reversed on the
WLL as well, so clogging that up in the process). Other significant
benefits are securing the Waterloo Int'l terminal and the North Pole
depot for future railway use, though the North Pole depot site really
isn't at all suitable for other property developments and the Waterloo
site is hardly ideal either.
Old November 16th 07, 03:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Q Q is offline

"Paul Scott" wrote in message

Various explanations I think. Leaving St Pancras, I don't think it becomes
normal 2 track railway until very close to the tunnel entrance, there are
various cross overs, flyunders etc to sort out the routes to the Eurostar
and Kent domestic platforms without conflicts. Through the Stratford
station 'box', the through track is the centre 1 of 3, with platform loops
either side. Between the east London tunnel portal and the Thames tunnel,
can't say. Perhaps it was wrong line working, or the videoed in up
direction and video played backwards...

Paul

Its full BiDi.

At lest the tunnel between St.P and Stratford is anyway - that's the only
section I had anything much to do with. We still have the usual up and down,
but they can be used either way round. We would quite often be 'wrong
roaded' during testing so work could continue in the tunnel sections whilst
still running trains on the other side. My understanding it it will use the
traditional up/down now its open, and only wrong road in the event of a
problem, or other 'special' move.