Old November 16th 07, 04:05 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Eurostar's south London farewell

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007, asdf wrote:

On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 18:57:09 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is one of the things that absolutely baffles me about the
automated signalling systems that are being deployed now - why is it
the signalling system that makes decisions about how fast a train
should go, and not the train?

I take it you are happy with the concept of double yellows?

Yes.

This is basically very similar.

Could you explain how?

tom

--
Come on thunder; come on thunder.

Old November 19th 07, 10:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Theo Markettos) wrote:

In uk.railway Paul Scott wrote:
Hopefully overnight tonight - I'm hoping to use that route
tomorrow...

There are no obstructions the other side of the doors, so there's
no reason it shouldn't be open tomorrow assuming all the shop fitting
out inside has finished.

It was open on the morning of the 14th but the shopfitting was far from
finished. Just 3 shops nearest to that entrance were open on Wednesday
when I looked.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 20th 07, 11:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:05:14 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is one of the things that absolutely baffles me about the
automated signalling systems that are being deployed now - why is it
the signalling system that makes decisions about how fast a train
should go, and not the train?

I take it you are happy with the concept of double yellows?

Yes.

This is basically very similar.

Could you explain how?

Don't double yellows mean the train has to be going below a certain
(specified) speed on reaching the next signal?
Old November 21st 07, 11:01 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
No Name

Not necessarily, because it depends on how well the driver knows the line.

That double yellow is warning him that the signal ahead is yellow, after
which he really has to think of slowing down.

Old November 22nd 07, 08:56 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007, asdf wrote:

On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 17:05:14 +0000, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is one of the things that absolutely baffles me about the
automated signalling systems that are being deployed now - why is it
the signalling system that makes decisions about how fast a train
should go, and not the train?

I take it you are happy with the concept of double yellows?

Yes.

This is basically very similar.

Could you explain how?

Don't double yellows mean the train has to be going below a certain
(specified) speed on reaching the next signal?

Oh, hang on, i was thinking of double yellow lines. *headdesk* I have no
idea at all what a double yellow light means.

I've kind of lost track of this thread, but isn't it the case that the
freight trains can't use the automatic signalling because the speeds are
wrong for that kind of train? So that's rather different to the double
yellow situation.

tom

--
Vegetables, rice and peas.