Old July 24th 05, 04:32 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Last Routemasters on the 14 and 22

Hi all,

Friday evening witnessed the end of Routemaster operation on Routes 14
and 22, between Central London and Putney. We were lucky enough to be on
the very last departure from Putney Heath towards Central London using
London General's white roofed RML and made the second last departure
from Putney Common before heading home. A sombre night though I was glad
we were there. Full marks to all the staff crewing the final day
workings as well for being friendly and professional.

I've uploaded a few pics to http://buses.fpic.co.uk/c627212.html if
anyone wants a look at how the final evening went.

Regards

Steve M

Old July 24th 05, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Steve M) wrote:

Friday evening witnessed the end of Routemaster operation on Routes 14
and 22, between Central London and Putney. We were lucky enough to be
on the very last departure from Putney Heath towards Central London
using London General's white roofed RML and made the second last
departure from Putney Common before heading home. A sombre night

though
I was glad we were there. Full marks to all the staff crewing the

final
day workings as well for being friendly and professional.

I've uploaded a few pics to
http://buses.fpic.co.uk/c627212.html if
anyone wants a look at how the final evening went.

I specially went to King's Cross on my way home via the Tottenham Court
Road terminus of the 14. To my chagrin there was no 14 there! :-(

What's RTW75 doing in the photos? Did RTWs /ever/ run on the 14? Not
that I recall.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 24th 05, 05:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Colin Rosenstiel wrote:

I specially went to King's Cross on my way home via the Tottenham Court
Road terminus of the 14. To my chagrin there was no 14 there! :-(

What's RTW75 doing in the photos? Did RTWs /ever/ run on the 14? Not
that I recall.

RTW75 was one of the special "last day" vehicles out and about on
Friday. I can't say whether it ever ran on the 14 but it's a very well
kept bus and it was nice to have a ride. The authentic LT advertisments
inside were great to read as well.

RTW75 ran just ahead of the last "proper" 14 as a relief working.

Cheers,

Steve M

Old July 24th 05, 05:33 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

What's RTW75 doing in the photos? Did RTWs /ever/ run on the 14? Not
that I recall.

http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/ records RTWs on the 14 from 1955 until
1963.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 24th 05, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

What's RTW75 doing in the photos? Did RTWs /ever/ run on the 14? Not
that I recall.

http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/ records RTWs on the 14 from 1955 until
1963.

I was at school then and bus-spotting too. I don't think that's right,
not by 1963 at least. Strange.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old July 24th 05, 06:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/ records RTWs on the 14 from 1955 until
1963.

I was at school then and bus-spotting too. I don't think that's right,
not by 1963 at least. Strange.

I was living in SE London at that time, so I can't make any comment from
personal experience, but another reliable bus site (Ian's Bus Stop)
records ...

Withdrawal of the wartime RTs from Putney Bridge in February
1955 brought replacements for route 14 in the shape of RTWs
scraped together from surpluses around the fleet.

--
Paul Terry
Old July 24th 05, 09:09 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/ records RTWs on the 14 from 1955 until
1963.

I was at school then and bus-spotting too. I don't think that's right,
not by 1963 at least. Strange.

I was living in SE London at that time, so I can't make any comment from
personal experience, but another reliable bus site (Ian's Bus Stop)
records ...

Withdrawal of the wartime RTs from Putney Bridge in February
1955 brought replacements for route 14 in the shape of RTWs
scraped together from surpluses around the fleet.

I'm now feeling very old: I remember the RTs being phased out. I can
remember seeing the odd pre-war RT with the route no. box on the rear of the
bus.

So far as the introduction of the RMs affected me, it was as the
replacement for the trolley buses on the Edgware Road in Colindale.

Mick.

Old July 24th 05, 10:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In ,
Steve M typed:

I've uploaded a few pics to http://buses.fpic.co.uk/c627212.html if
anyone wants a look at how the final evening went.

Although I hadn't come to London to record the passing of the RM on these
two services, I took the opportunity to take a few photographs that I might
not be able to take in a few months time. Not just RMs, and not just the 14
and 22 - but you can see my efforts at:
http://bobwood.fotopic.net/c627935.html

I hope that some of you will take a minute to look.

--
Bob

Old July 24th 05, 11:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Terry) wrote:

In message ,
Colin Rosenstiel writes

In article ,

(Paul Terry) wrote:

http://www.londonbuses.co.uk/ records RTWs on the 14 from 1955 until
1963.

I was at school then and bus-spotting too. I don't think that's right,
not by 1963 at least. Strange.

I was living in SE London at that time, so I can't make any comment
from personal experience, but another reliable bus site (Ian's Bus
Stop) records ...

Withdrawal of the wartime RTs from Putney Bridge in February
1955 brought replacements for route 14 in the shape of RTWs
scraped together from surpluses around the fleet.

Which is why I was more cagey about the earlier part of the period
mentioned by you. I don't really recall the days when F was still open
and only remember seeing pre-war RTs at Hammersmith.

However, I was bus-spotting quite a bit from about 1960 to 1963. What I
do remember on the 14 were roof route box RTs (Saunders-bodied) up to
the point where RMs came along. They could have been in the J
allocation and not from AF I suppose but I just don't remember seeing
RTWs at Oxford Road which was and still is just round the corner from
my parents'.

--
Colin Rosenstiel