Old January 28th 08, 07:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default iBus. The most annoying thing about bus travel...

Well, apart from traffic levels & overcrowding of course. I have to
suffer this damn incessant voice almost every day...
Why?
I hope there is some kind of backlash against it!

Old January 28th 08, 08:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Dusty Shelves wrote:

Well, apart from traffic levels & overcrowding of course. I have to
suffer this damn incessant voice almost every day...

If you don't want to hear it, then concentrate on something else and let
your brain filter the sound out, just like with any other unwanted
announcements.

Why?

Because it's good idea that should've been introduced ages ago. The
real question is why did they wait so long before introducing it.

I hope there is some kind of backlash against it!

I hope there isn't. Why would there be?

It's interesting that the _only_ person the BBC could find to speak
against it was a Liberal Democrat MP. If this really was an unpopular
idea, you can bet Cameron's Cronies would be rushing to complain...

Old January 28th 08, 08:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
00:22:01 on Mon, 28 Jan 2008, Dusty Shelves
remarked:
Well, apart from traffic levels & overcrowding of course. I have to
suffer this damn incessant voice almost every day...

And I've noticed car park ticket machines pouring out a stream of
patronising instructions (possibly in a slight Swedish accent). When
there's three of them side by side all in use, it's distracting as well
as annoying.
Old January 28th 08, 10:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Jan, 09:13, "solar penguin"
wrote:
If you don't want to hear it, then concentrate on something else and let
your brain filter the sound out, just like with any other unwanted
announcements.

The announcements on some trains can be so loud its rather difficult
to filter it out. I doubt the ones on buses will be any different.

Why?

Because it's good idea that should've been introduced ages ago. The
real question is why did they wait so long before introducing it.

Its a good idea if done in moderation. Unfortunately this rarely
happens, and if iits done for every single stop on a bus route it'll
quickly drive people up the wall especially if they chuck in some mind-
the-doors messages on top.

B2003
Old January 28th 08, 10:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

It is incredibly annoying. I'd love for it to be just visual
announcements. If someone doesn't know the area and can't, then they
can just ask for assistance.

It used to just be on the 41 I took every now and then, but I'm
hearing it on the 141 more and more as well.

Also, if they don't get rid of them, can they at least speed them up?
41 ... to .... Archway.

Old January 28th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

Its a good idea if done in moderation. Unfortunately this rarely
happens, and if iits done for every single stop on a bus route it'll
quickly drive people up the wall especially if they chuck in some mind-
the-doors messages on top.

Automatically announcing every stop is regularly done in some other
countries. For example, I know it is done in Heidelberg, Germany, with
no notable increase in lunacy. It's quite useful. Of course, they don't
have the inclination to spice it up with constant "mind the doors this
is a special announcement please do not leave your bags or small
children on the bus when you leave"
--
Michael Hoffman
Old January 28th 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

sweek wrote:

Also, if they don't get rid of them, can they at least speed them up?
41 ... to .... Archway.

Good Lord, do they tell you the route and destination between every stop?

Old January 28th 08, 10:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Jan, 11:40, "John Rowland"
wrote:
sweek wrote:

Also, if they don't get rid of them, can they at least speed them up?
41 ... to .... Archway.

Good Lord, do they tell you the route and destination between every stop?

They used to do it twice, but they've cut back.

Personally I think iBus is a good idea, but could do with some
tweaking. I think it'd be helpful to know roughly where you are, for
one thing. Perhaps the lower line of the dot matrix display could tell
you what area you're in or major road you're on - knowing you're on
Essex Road seems more helpful than knowing you've just passed Cross
Street, which is pretty meaningless if you don't know the area or have
a street map to hand.

Jonn
Old January 28th 08, 10:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote:
sweek wrote:
Also, if they don't get rid of them, can they at least speed them up?
41 ... to .... Archway.

Good Lord, do they tell you the route and destination between every stop?

Only if the bus has stopped and opened the doors. The name of the next
stop is announced just before reaching it, and the "route (pause) to
(pause) destination" once the doors are closed again.

Cheers,

Barry
Old January 28th 08, 11:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28 Jan, 11:56, wrote:
On 28 Jan, 11:40, "John Rowland"
Good Lord, do they tell you the route and destination between every stop?

Currently it's only played after the doors close, which means you
don't hear if the bus doesn't stop. And it's only "141 to London
Bridge" rather than "This is a Northern Line train to High Barnet".
Likewise they only say the name of the stop you're approaching, not
anything else.

Personally I think iBus is a good idea, but could do with some
tweaking. I think it'd be helpful to know roughly where you are, for
one thing. Perhaps the lower line of the dot matrix display could tell
you what area you're in or major road you're on - knowing you're on
Essex Road seems more helpful than knowing you've just passed Cross
Street, which is pretty meaningless if you don't know the area or have
a street map to hand.

Having line maps on the wall so you could see where you are in
relation to major interchanges would be a good start. Though not all
buses are dedicated to one route.

http://londonconnections.blogspot.com/
A blog about transport projects in London