Old February 10th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default 31 Minutes to walk from Kings Cross to St. Pancreas - Is this true!?

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 09:06:05 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 08:21:30 on Sun, 10
Feb 2008, Michael Hoffman remarked:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans.

If you're coming from the north, don't forget there's always the option
of taking a bus from Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City to St. Albans.

Although none of the NXEC trains stop at either of those stations.

Try Stevenage then! I doubt whether its quicker than going via London
though.
--
Peter Lawrence

Old February 10th 08, 04:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

wrote:

In message , at 08:21:30 on Sun, 10
Feb 2008, Michael Hoffman remarked:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans.
If you're coming from the north, don't forget there's always the option
of taking a bus from Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City to St. Albans.

Although none of the NXEC trains stop at either of those stations.

Try Stevenage then! I doubt whether its quicker than going via London
though.

I didn't see where the OP said he was taking NXEC, and I still don't.
There are buses that are have a scheduled time of only 22 minutes from
Hatfield to St. Albans, so depending on where you're coming from it
might be faster or cheaper.
--
Michael Hoffman
Old February 10th 08, 05:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 10 Feb, 02:26, Matt wrote:
Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to St
Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans. According to the Transport
Direct journey planner, this walk will take 31 minutes, but if I look
at any map, it looks like it shouldn't even take 5!

I've not been to the new St Pancreas, and I guess the entrance might
not be at the Kings Cross side, but is it really true that it would
take the average person 31 minutes to walk from Kings Cross station to
St. Pancreas?

Kind regards,

Matt

This is the reply I got on 27th November 2007. I guess they are still
working on it - you know about Network Rail overuns...

"Thank you for your eMail,

"I apologise for any inconvenience caused. Please note that the Online
Journey Planner usually allocate a generic transfer period between two
London stations of about fifty minutes to sixty minutes. This is due
to the fact that National Rail Enquiries does not hold information for
specific tube times. Unfortunately St. Pancras International is a new,
recently opened station so it is still using the generic transfer
time.

"We are always pleased to receive customer comments and suggestions,
which we pass on to our Development Team who are continually working
to improve the site and its service.

"Once again thank you for your comments.

Regards,

James Beynon
Customer Services
www.nationalrail.co.uk

National Rail Enquiries
Supplier of the Year - Rail Business Awards 2006
Best Outsourced Call Centre - Contact Centre Association Excellence
Awards 2005
TrainTracker - Product of the Year, European Call Centre Awards 2005
Old February 10th 08, 05:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 17:45:47 on Sun, 10
Feb 2008, Michael Hoffman remarked:

Hey guys. I'm currently planning a journey that takes me via London.
Basically I arrive in London Kings Cross, then ened to walk over to
St Pancreas to get a train to St. Albans.
If you're coming from the north, don't forget there's always the
option of taking a bus from Hatfield or Welwyn Garden City to St.

Although none of the NXEC trains stop at either of those stations.

Try Stevenage then! I doubt whether its quicker than going via
London
though.

I didn't see where the OP said he was taking NXEC, and I still don't.

Just as many people arriving at KX are, as aren't. And plenty of the
people who aren't are on fasts that don't stop at the stations
mentioned.

There are buses that are have a scheduled time of only 22 minutes from
Hatfield to St. Albans, so depending on where you're coming from it
might be faster or cheaper.

Might be, yes. I've taken the bus from Hitchin to Luton before now.
Old February 10th 08, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In message , at 16:48:18 on
Sun, 10 Feb 2008, David Thornhill remarked:
I was initially confused by this last week when using planners to get from
Brighton to Grantham. It would seem illogcal to me to go any other way than
via FCC to St P.

DB Hafas is very confused indeed and even takes you off a FCC train that
goes to St P at London Bridge and puts you onto the Tube.

That's what I'd do, tube from LB to KX then NXEC. Depending on the
ultimate destination I might also take the tube all the way to Finsbury
Park and change there (but not for Grantham).

Old February 10th 08, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 10 Feb, 18:38, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 16:48:18 on
Sun, 10 Feb 2008, David Thornhill remarked:

I was initially confused by this last week when using planners to get from
Brighton to Grantham. It would seem illogcal to me to go any other way than
via FCC to St P.
DB Hafas is very confused indeed and even takes you off a FCC train that
goes to St P at London Bridge and puts you onto the Tube.

That's what I'd do, tube from LB to KX then NXEC. Depending on the
ultimate destination I might also take the tube all the way to Finsbury
Park and change there (but not for Grantham).

If you're going for the tube option, forget London Bridge and head to
Victoria instead - it's just 10 minutes journey time on the Victoria
line from there to KXSP or Finsbury Park, or indeed Tottenham Hale or
Seven Sisters as appropriate (all are valid for cross London transfer
with a National Rail Maltese cross ticket).

If I was heading for KXSP and was already on an FCC Thameslink train
at London Bridge I'd stay on it, unless I knew there was trouble
ahead. However if I was arriving at LB not on a Thameslink train I'd
take the tube.
Old February 10th 08, 07:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"Mr Thant" wrote in message
On 10 Feb, 16:48, "David Thornhill" wrote:
DB Hafas is very confused indeed and even takes you off a FCC train that
goes to St P at London Bridge and puts you onto the Tube.

It's 18 minutes on Thameslink and 11 minutes on the Northern Line. I
reckon you could get to the concourse at KX a minute or two quicker
going that way.

That's true, but if you're already on an FCC train sitting in London Bridge
and it's going to St P, then you'd probably be mad to abandon the 18 minutes
for an unknown time. As ever, it depends on the exact starting circumstances
and how long you have got for the journey.

Regards

Jonathan

Old February 10th 08, 09:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:48:18 GMT, "David Thornhill"
wrote:

I was initially confused by this last week when using planners to get from
Brighton to Grantham. It would seem illogcal to me to go any other way than
via FCC to St P.

Trainline is fair, but still occasionally thinks going via Victoria and then
Tube is a logical route.

Traveline ditto, although its walking time is 23 minutes rather than 31.

DB Hafas is very confused indeed and even takes you off a FCC train that
goes to St P at London Bridge and puts you onto the Tube.

Planajourney always seems to send you via Victoria and Tube.

Transport Direct ditto. Here you see the logic - 2 mins train to Tube at
Victoria, 10 mins on Tube and 13 mins Tube to KX. Total 25 mins, which is
faster than the 31 minutes walk just at St P.

This is manifestly all very silly and I wonder how many passengers who know
no better are struggling across London with luggage for no sensible reason?

Regarding some of the other responses here, do note that the building work
currently is very much focused on the west side of KX, especially beyond
platform 9 3/4 and along Pancras Road (?). There are ways through, but it is
daunting if you don't walk the route regularly. The road that separates KX
and St P is annoyingly busy too and I believe a bad bit of planning.

I got from FCC to KX in 5 minutes. 10 to 15 is a fair allowance.

If you wish to minimise walking, change at Farringdon onto the
Met/H&C/Circle line to Kings Cross/St Pancras. It probably also saves
time.
--
Terry Harper
Website Coordinator, The Omnibus Society
Old February 10th 08, 11:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london, uk.railway

On 10 Feb, 17:06, "David Biddulph" groups [at] biddulph.org.uk
wrote:

Isn't there now a luggage trolley on its way through to the platform?

Yes, which is now badly dented - either through vandalism or something
else hitting it.

Not sure what that website was going on about, suggesting the platform
9 3/4 could have been there before the book!!

Jonathan