Old March 29th 08, 11:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Validity of Local Authority "Over 60s" free bus passes ?

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message

Yes, the passes are only obliged to be accepted on buses and not on other
services.

However, when Mum's arrived a couple of weeks ago the (Centro) paperwork
accompanying it said in response to a Q&A about availability on trams and
Metro services elsewhere that it *might * be made available and to "check
locally".

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro and so
on seem unlikely to me to accept them. The one place I thought *might*
bend that rule would be Blackpool, where the tram is (forgive me for
this!) more of a "bus on rails". But it remains to be seen.

Anyway, I was surprised about the Centro answer; I thought it would be a
blanket "no".

Nexus (T&W PTE) have a scheme where residents eligible for an over 60 or
Disabled national bus pass can have Metro & Rail travel for £12 per annum.
Seems a reasonable sum to cover the admin costs...

Paul

Old March 29th 08, 11:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message
.. .
Stephen Farrow wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro
and so on seem unlikely to me to accept them.

In Greater Manchester, the over-60s travel pass is certainly accepted
on Metrolink, as well as on trains within the GMPTE area.

Yes, but surely that's only for Greater Manchester over-60s? Just like
the Freedom Pass in London. The issue we were discussing was whether
non-local over-60s can get free travel on anything other than buses. The
answer seems to be no.

In fact, the OP's concern was simply whether or not 'throughout England'
included London...

Paul S

Old March 29th 08, 06:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Stephen Farrow
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro
and so on seem unlikely to me to accept them.

In Greater Manchester, the over-60s travel pass is certainly accepted
on Metrolink, as well as on trains within the GMPTE area.

Yes but only for Great Manchester residents. Similarly West Midlands
O60s get Midland Metro and West Midlands Local Rail, ditto Merseyside,
South and West Yorkshire, etc. and so on give benefits beyond bus only
travel to their O60s. Those benefits don't (generally) extend beyond
the resident's own county, though.

Does any shire county offer O60s free rail travel?

--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old March 29th 08, 07:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ian Jelf" wrote in message
In message , Stephen Farrow
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro and
so on seem unlikely to me to accept them.

In Greater Manchester, the over-60s travel pass is certainly accepted on
Metrolink, as well as on trains within the GMPTE area.

Yes but only for Great Manchester residents. Similarly West Midlands
O60s get Midland Metro and West Midlands Local Rail, ditto Merseyside,
South and West Yorkshire, etc. and so on give benefits beyond bus only
travel to their O60s. Those benefits don't (generally) extend beyond the
resident's own county, though.

Does any shire county offer O60s free rail travel?

Interesting question Ian, down here in south Hampshire what limited 'local
rail network' there is would have to be a joint effort between Hants CC,
Portsmouth, and Southampton, as the latter are unitary authorities. I
suspect any proposal will be swiftly filed under 'too difficult'...

Paul S

Old March 29th 08, 10:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message .uk, Colin
Rosenstiel writes
In article ,
(Ian Jelf) wrote:

In message , Stephen Farrow
writes
Ian Jelf wrote:

Trams like Croydon, Midland Metro, Manchester Metrolink, T&W Metro
and so on seem unlikely to me to accept them.

In Greater Manchester, the over-60s travel pass is certainly accepted
on Metrolink, as well as on trains within the GMPTE area.

Yes but only for Great Manchester residents. Similarly West
Midlands O60s get Midland Metro and West Midlands Local Rail, ditto
Merseyside, South and West Yorkshire, etc. and so on give benefits
beyond bus only travel to their O60s. Those benefits don't
(generally) extend beyond the resident's own county, though.

Does any shire county offer O60s free rail travel?

There was a bit in North Wales, wasn't there?

Wales might well do (being now a Wales-wide system), I'm not sure.

Although I didn't make it clear in the question, I was posing the
question regarding England, as that's where the new pass arrangements
are about to come into force.

Old March 31st 08, 11:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Interesting question Ian, down here in south Hampshire what limited 'local
rail network' there is would have to be a joint effort between Hants CC,
Portsmouth, and Southampton, as the latter are unitary authorities. I
suspect any proposal will be swiftly filed under 'too difficult'...

Or too expensive. Which is what these Over 60 passes are. I am appalled
that my local services are going to have to be cut (and it's going to be
worse in seaside towns) to fund these passes which my local council is
going to be short by about £1 Million.

They either need to be scrapped, or introduced on a means tested basis.
--
http://www.railforums.co.uk
Old April 1st 08, 05:50 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Which is your council AAMOI?

Bristol City. Last year it was £735,000 and the figure of £1mill is an
estimate. Read in a newspaper that some councils are expecting a
shortfall of up to £2mill.
--
http://www.railforums.co.uk
Old April 2nd 08, 12:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Joe Patrick) wrote:

Which is your council AAMOI?

Bristol City. Last year it was £735,000 and the figure of £1mill is
an estimate. Read in a newspaper that some councils are expecting a
shortfall of up to £2mill.
--
http://www.railforums.co.uk

At least the same council is responsible for travel concessions and for
bus subsidies. Most of the (relatively) big problems look like they are
going to affect districts in two tier areas that don't have bus planning
responsibilities.

--
Colin Rosenstiel