Old September 2nd 03, 07:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central Line To Close (again)

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:38:23 +0100, Andrew P Smith
wrote:

Putting air con on a bus is relatively easy.

Indeed. Given how much was spent on the superb (IMO) Mercedes
bendies, I was surprised it was not even tried. It is used
successfully in other countries - I used to look forward to getting
one of the Pinneberger Verkehrsgesellschaft's experimental aircon
buses on my daily trip to uni in Hamburg in the summer, and in the
winter it also helped to avoid steaming up.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
is a valid email address, but is sent to /dev/null.

Old September 3rd 03, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message ...
There is something to be said for trains that don't accelerate so fiercely
that motors fall off or things get cracked. It's also unpleasant when

Well the DLR had never had any issues with that AFAIK and their trains
accelerate quicker than pretty much anything on rails (apart from maybe the
croydon tramlink). But then they probably maintain their trains more than once
every 10 years. IMO the 92 stock have been ruined because LU couldn't be arsed
to follow the manufacturers maintenance instructions.

seated sideways.

Can't say it bothers me though I do think the ATO could do with a bit more
intelligence so that it doesn't suddenly accelerate to its target speed and
whoops , suddenly realise theres another train in front then brake , then , oh
that trains moved , we'll accelerate again , oh , we're too close again lets
brake.. etc etc. I'm thinking someone should have mentioned the concept of
coasting to the systems programmers.

and I like the large window area which gives a nice airy feeling.

i.e. acts like a mobile greenhouse in summer (modern buses suffer too from
this obsession with large areas of glass and no aircon).

Fair point, but I still think its nice.

B2003
Old September 3rd 03, 11:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"spammy" wrote in message
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
Personally I'd miss the 92 stock too , its got far and away the best
acceleration of any trains on the underground (why the 95/96 stocks are
still so sluggish is anyones guess) and I like the large window area
which gives a nice airy feeling. But if its that unreliable....

so what stocks have there been since 92? and how can you tell the
difference? they all look the same to me...

They are all the same on the Central line. 95/96 refers to the Jubilee and
Northern lines repectively. I thought the acceleration on the 95/96s was
deliberately slugged in software to allow them to co-exist with the old
stock while they were being phased in.

Old September 3rd 03, 01:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Can't say it bothers me though I do think the ATO could do with a bit more
intelligence so that it doesn't suddenly accelerate to its target speed

and
whoops , suddenly realise theres another train in front then brake , then

, oh
that trains moved , we'll accelerate again , oh , we're too close again

lets
brake.. etc etc. I'm thinking someone should have mentioned the concept of
coasting to the systems programmers.

A limitation of fixed block signalling... there's not much the ATO can do
about it!

Old September 3rd 03, 05:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london

irvine wrote:
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...

Can't say it bothers me though I do think the ATO could do with a
bit more intelligence so that it doesn't suddenly accelerate to its
target speed and whoops , suddenly realise theres another train in
front then brake , then , oh that trains moved , we'll accelerate
again , oh , we're too close again lets brake.. etc etc. I'm
thinking someone should have mentioned the concept of coasting to
the systems programmers.

A limitation of fixed block signalling... there's not much the ATO
can do about it!

But human drivers manage it!
--
Richard J.

Old September 3rd 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Ed Crowley wrote:
"spammy" wrote in message
"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
Personally I'd miss the 92 stock too , its got far and away the best
acceleration of any trains on the underground (why the 95/96 stocks
are still so sluggish is anyones guess) and I like the large window
area which gives a nice airy feeling. But if its that unreliable....

so what stocks have there been since 92? and how can you tell the
difference? they all look the same to me...

They are all the same on the Central line. 95/96 refers to the
Jubilee and Northern lines repectively.

The other way round. 95 is Northern, 96 is Jubilee (though the "95" stock
is actually a later design than the "96").
--
Richard J.

Old September 4th 03, 08:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ed Crowley" wrote in message t...
They are all the same on the Central line. 95/96 refers to the Jubilee and
Northern lines repectively. I thought the acceleration on the 95/96s was
deliberately slugged in software to allow them to co-exist with the old
stock while they were being phased in.

Thats what everybody said (on here) but it seems they're genuinely
underpowered. Certainly going up the hill from from highgate to east finchley
they seem to me slower than the stock they replaced but that could just be
psychological I guess because of less motor noise.

B2003
Old September 4th 03, 07:43 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
:
: Can't say it bothers me though I do think the ATO could do with a bit more
: intelligence so that it doesn't suddenly accelerate to its target speed
and
: whoops , suddenly realise theres another train in front then brake , then
, oh
: that trains moved , we'll accelerate again , oh , we're too close again
lets
: brake.. etc etc. I'm thinking someone should have mentioned the concept of
: coasting to the systems programmers.
:
Doesn't this contribute to the shorter headways that ATO trains can operate
compared to manually driven trains?

Charles

Old September 5th 03, 09:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
"Charles Towler" wrote in message

"Boltar" wrote in message
om...
:
: Can't say it bothers me though I do think the ATO could do with a bit

more
: intelligence so that it doesn't suddenly accelerate to its target

speed
and
: whoops , suddenly realise theres another train in front then brake ,

then
, oh
: that trains moved , we'll accelerate again , oh , we're too close

again
lets
: brake.. etc etc. I'm thinking someone should have mentioned the

concept of
: coasting to the systems programmers.
:
Doesn't this contribute to the shorter headways that ATO trains can

operate
compared to manually driven trains?

Yes and no. What I'm saying is that if the computer had more intelligence

it
would know that it will have to break again fairly soon so theres no point
accelerating to a higher speed but instead just keep coasting at the

current
one. No only would this be more comfy for the passengers but it would save
energy too.

How granular is the speed control on these trains? I read somewhere that
the Victoria line basically has Full and Half speed (as well as stop,
obviously). Is the Central line system more advanced?

Old September 5th 03, 10:01 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Ed Crowley" wrote in message

How granular is the speed control on these trains? I read somewhere that
the Victoria line basically has Full and Half speed (as well as stop,
obviously). Is the Central line system more advanced?

ISTR there's 9 codes from "put the anchors on!" to "full speed ahead
captain!"