Old September 1st 03, 05:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Central Line To Close (again)

CJG wrote:
Apparently cracks have been found in motor brackets on central Line
trains. The whole fleet is being checked. One of the unions want the
whole fleet taken out of service so they can check them properly.
Just when you thought it was safe to go back on Central Line etc...
etc....

The BBC's report is at

Nowhere does it say that the line will close.
--
Richard J.

Old September 1st 03, 06:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
CJG wrote:
Apparently cracks have been found in motor brackets on
central Line trains. The whole fleet is being checked. One
of the unions want the whole fleet taken out of service so
they can check them properly. Just when you thought it was
safe to go back on Central Line etc... etc....

The BBC's report is at

Nowhere does it say that the line will close.

Since when has CJG ever allowed the truth to get in the way of a slagging.

Old September 1st 03, 07:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
CJG CJG is offline

In message , Richard J.
writes
Nowhere does it say that the line will close.

RMT want ALL the trains taken out of service to be checked. So without
trains how exactly are they going to run the central line?
Have illegal immigrants pulling people along in dodgy carts along the
line?
--
CJG
Old September 1st 03, 08:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG wrote:
In message , Richard
J. writes
Nowhere does it say that the line will close.

RMT want ALL the trains taken out of service to be checked. So without
trains how exactly are they going to run the central line?
Have illegal immigrants pulling people along in dodgy carts along the
line?

"RMT want" is not the same as "will happen". LU say that half the fleet has
been checked already.
--
Richard J.

Old September 1st 03, 11:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Richard J. wrote:
CJG wrote:
In message ,

Richard
J. writes
Nowhere does it say that the line will close.

RMT want ALL the trains taken out of service to be checked. So
without trains how exactly are they going to run the central line?
Have illegal immigrants pulling people along in dodgy carts along

the
line?

"RMT want" is not the same as "will happen". LU say that half the
fleet has been checked already.

And Carlton London News said that a dozen cracks had been found in
that half alone. The picture on the BBC news shows new strengthening
brackets which are supposed to cure the problem that caused the
Chancery Lane crash. These are labeled defective!!

--

Phil ,,,^.".^,,,

---

Old September 2nd 03, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Redonda" wrote in message ...
And Carlton London News said that a dozen cracks had been found in
that half alone. The picture on the BBC news shows new strengthening
brackets which are supposed to cure the problem that caused the
Chancery Lane crash. These are labeled defective!!

Anyone want to lay odds on the 1992 stock following the 1983 stock into
early oblivion due to uncurable reliability issues? I personally wouldn't
be surprised if LU doesn't get shot of them in 10-15 years if this sort
of thing continues.

B2003
Old September 2nd 03, 01:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message .. .
That would be unfortunate, if only because the 1992 stock seems to have
become the face of the tube. By that I mean that when there's a picture
or model of a tube train it's 1992 stock, and when there's a drawing of
a tube train it usually most closely resembles 1992 stock.

Didn't they use the 83 stock for that too?

Personally I'd miss the 92 stock too , its got far and away the best
acceleration of any trains on the underground (why the 95/96 stocks are
still so sluggish is anyones guess) and I like the large window area
which gives a nice airy feeling. But if its that unreliable....

B2003
Old September 2nd 03, 05:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
Robin May wrote in message
.. .
That would be unfortunate, if only because the 1992 stock seems to
have become the face of the tube. By that I mean that when there's
a picture or model of a tube train it's 1992 stock, and when
there's a drawing of a tube train it usually most closely
resembles 1992 stock.

Didn't they use the 83 stock for that too?

Personally I'd miss the 92 stock too , its got far and away the
best acceleration of any trains on the underground (why the 95/96
stocks are still so sluggish is anyones guess)

There is something to be said for trains that don't accelerate so fiercely
that motors fall off or things get cracked. It's also unpleasant when
seated sideways.

and I like the large window area which gives a nice airy feeling.

i.e. acts like a mobile greenhouse in summer (modern buses suffer too from
this obsession with large areas of glass and no aircon).
--
Richard J.

Old September 2nd 03, 05:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Richard J.
writes

i.e. acts like a mobile greenhouse in summer (modern buses suffer too from
this obsession with large areas of glass and no aircon).

Putting air con on a bus is relatively easy.
--
Andrew
Electronic communications can be altered and therefore the integrity of this
Old September 2nd 03, 07:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

CJG wrote:

In message , Richard J.
writes
Nowhere does it say that the line will close.

RMT want ALL the trains taken out of service to be checked.

Ah, the RMT have found a way to inconvenience the travelling public
without going on strike...

--
James Farrar |
London SE 13 |