Old April 9th 08, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Kings Cross Meeting Point Advice

I need to arrange to meet a small group (15) somewhere in the King's
Cross area in a few weeks' time. I normally arrange to do this at
exits from tube stations but with all the work going on in and around
King's Cross that seems a recipe for confusion to me!

Does anyone here have any suggestions where specifically I might choose
to meet them? (A "public area", where we wouldn't cause an obstruction
and wouldn't accused of being on railway property or similar; oh and
something easy for a stranger to spot!)

Thanks in advance.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk

Old April 9th 08, 08:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008 09:22:51 +0100, Ian Jelf
wrote:

I need to arrange to meet a small group (15) somewhere in the King's
Cross area in a few weeks' time. I normally arrange to do this at
exits from tube stations but with all the work going on in and around
King's Cross that seems a recipe for confusion to me!

Does anyone here have any suggestions where specifically I might choose
to meet them? (A "public area", where we wouldn't cause an obstruction
and wouldn't accused of being on railway property or similar; oh and
something easy for a stranger to spot!)

Thanks in advance.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/gettingaro...cross-2150.pdf

How about beside stops D and E? This is in front of W H Smiths so it's
recognisable and it's just along from the main set of steps down in to
Tube station - certainly the main exit from the Tube side of the
station. If people were arriving by Met / Circle then they do face some
choice of exit from that part of the station but if they simply turn
right from the ticket gates and walk straight ahead they'll see the
stairs that will bring them to these bus stops. The map is also up to
date in that it shows the respective station areas of St Pancras and
Kings Cross main line.

Almost anywhere else in the area the pavements are too narrow or else
you will be in a station or on a diversionary route near the Northern
Ticket Hall works.
--
Paul C

Old April 9th 08, 09:26 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Ian Jelf wrote:
I need to arrange to meet a small group (15) somewhere in the King's
Cross area in a few weeks' time. I normally arrange to do this at
exits from tube stations but with all the work going on in and around
King's Cross that seems a recipe for confusion to me!

There is a large statue in St Pancras called, I believe, "Meeting Point".

Old April 9th 08, 09:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 9 Apr, 10:26, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:
I need to arrange to meet a small group (15) somewhere in the King's
Cross area in a few weeks' time. * I normally arrange to do this at
exits from tube stations but with all the work going on in and around
King's Cross that seems a recipe for confusion to me!

There is a large statue in St Pancras called, I believe, "Meeting Point".

But it's useless as one. It's circuituous to get to and I'm pretty
certain it isn't signposted.

I'd suggest the west side of the KX concourse between the Travel
Centre and the end of platform 8, as it's not really a through route.

If you want to avoid railway property, the WHSmiths on the KX
concourse has big signs where it backs onto Euston Road. So "outside
KX by the WhSmiths sign" should be a followable instruction.

Old April 9th 08, 10:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mr Thant wrote:
On 9 Apr, 10:26, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Ian Jelf wrote:
I need to arrange to meet a small group (15) somewhere in the King's
Cross area in a few weeks' time. I normally arrange to do this at
exits from tube stations but with all the work going on in and around
King's Cross that seems a recipe for confusion to me!

There is a large statue in St Pancras called, I believe, "Meeting Point".

But it's useless as one. It's circuituous to get to and I'm pretty
certain it isn't signposted.

I'd suggest the west side of the KX concourse between the Travel
Centre and the end of platform 8, as it's not really a through route.

If you want to avoid railway property, the WHSmiths on the KX
concourse has big signs where it backs onto Euston Road. So "outside
KX by the WhSmiths sign" should be a followable instruction.

Is the German Gymnasium still open?
This had the HSL1 exhibition, a cafe and FREE loos.

Although saimple to find, without directions, it is unlikely to be
crowded and, assuming exhibition is still there, has something of
interest whilst people are waiting.

Jim Chisholm

Old April 9th 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Mr Thant) wrote:

I'd suggest the west side of the KX concourse between the Travel
Centre and the end of platform 8, as it's not really a through route.

Eek!" You don't go there often if you think that!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old April 9th 08, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Corfield
writes
wrote:

[...]

Sincere thanks to everyone who answered this for taking the time and
trouble; much appreciated.

I'll go with Paul's suggestion as it has the widest pavements, the
"spotability" of WH Smith's and the extra detail of being able to
"refine" things by referring to bus stops D and E.

(I didn't want to involve Saint Pancras as it's in the "wrong" direction
for the walk concerned, which is roughly following the course of the
River Fleet, to Blackfriars.)

Thanks again everyone.

Old April 9th 08, 09:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Wed, 9 Apr 2008, Ian Jelf wrote:

I need to arrange to meet a small group (15) somewhere in the King's Cross
area in a few weeks' time. I normally arrange to do this at exits from tube
stations but with all the work going on in and around King's Cross that seems
a recipe for confusion to me!

Does anyone here have any suggestions where specifically I might choose to
meet them? (A "public area", where we wouldn't cause an obstruction and
wouldn't accused of being on railway property or similar; oh and something
easy for a stranger to spot!)

Argyle Square? It's out of the way, and in the right direction. It's not
in immediate line of sight from the railway station, but it's down a
street which is.

The snooker club on Gray's Inn Road?

Housman's Bookshop, on Caledonian Road?

Ooh - the courtyard of the British Library?

tom

--
Yesterday's research projects are today's utilities and tomorrow's
historical footnotes. -- Roy Smith
Old April 10th 08, 12:13 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

Argyle Square?

Great. If Ian's late, they can buy some drugs and shag a hooker while
they're waiting.

Old April 10th 08, 07:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , John Rowland
writes
Tom Anderson wrote:

Argyle Square?

Great. If Ian's late, they can buy some drugs and shag a hooker while
they're waiting.

And if Ian's early??!!