Old July 12th 08, 09:34 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

Default Meeting place in Luton Airport

Ian F. wrote:
Mrs. F. and I are flying in October for 10 days in offtopic San
Francisco and Vegas /offtopic. I'm having trouble convincing her
we can do it with hand baggage!

http://www.onebag.com/

Old July 12th 08, 10:35 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

Tim Ward wrote:
The sooner the USA give up on their War on Tourism and start a War on
Something Else instead the better. Maybe with the new president.

I think the War On The New President has started already...

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Old July 12th 08, 10:45 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

HE Elsom wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 09:35:35 +0100, Anthony Deane
wrote:

I may be wrong (for that read "I'm probably wrong"), but I think the Body
Shop sell all manner of bottles. Maybe there's something squeezy enough
there?

I can't remember seeing 10ml-ish squeezy bottles anywhere -- that size
tends to be screwtop jars which you'd need a spatula to get stuff in and
out of.

Cam.miscers could try Tesco's Fulbourn store, the rack to the left of
the pharmacy. They've got lots of things like small screw-top bottles
for cosmetics, and miniatures of toothpaste, shampoo, deodorant, etc.,
just exactly for flight purposes. Folks from u.t.l might like to try
their local Tesco's, if it's big enough.

Jon
Old July 14th 08, 08:48 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

"Colin Rosenstiel" wrote in message
.co.uk...

Solid deodorant is OK according to BAA's list; but other places
may have different interpretations.

http://www.baa.com/assets/B2CPortal/..._CantDec06.pdf

I've flown with it into/out of US, China, Hong Kong, India, France,
Vietnam, Japan, Germany, Taiwan, Malaysia, Singapore and Brazil so
far and not had any problems. If none of those places query it, I'd
be really surprised if I get pulled up anywhere...

Ah, but none of them have the best bolted stable doors in the world like
what we do.

The other end of almost all of those journeys has been the UK, so that
should obviously be in the list as well.

By far the biggest annoyance of recent years was the period when the UK,
in its desire to stop absent horses bolting, only allowed one carry-on item
while everywhere else on the planet allowed a carry-on plus
laptop/handbag/briefcase.

Chris

Old July 14th 08, 09:50 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

HE Elsom wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:53:49 +0100, magwitch wrote:

Using an aeroplane to get to Newquay and back makes you little better
than one in my eyes. What about taking a train?

I have no money, the flight was free and it was important for me to see
someone there. I hope that meets your moral standards.

Look at it another way: the extra fuel burnt from the additional weight
of you and your baggage, since the plane was going to fly that route
anyway, was miniscule. You could probably offset it by growing a couple
of rows of carrots.

Not a point of view that's popular amongst eco-warriors, because it
reduces them to "*grumble* Shouldn't have a plane on that route anyway
*grumble, mumble*".

Jon

Old July 14th 08, 11:25 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

On 14 Jul, 10:50, Jon Green wrote:
Using an aeroplane to get to Newquay and back makes you little better
than one in my eyes. What about taking a train?

I have no money, the flight was free and it was important for me to see
someone there. I hope that meets your moral standards.

Look at it another way: the extra fuel burnt from the additional weight
of you and your baggage, since the plane was going to fly that route
anyway, was miniscule. You could probably offset it by growing a couple
of rows of carrots.

Not a point of view that's popular amongst eco-warriors, because it
reduces them to "*grumble* Shouldn't have a plane on that route anyway
*grumble, mumble*".

OTOH her fare could have made the difference for the airline between
continuing the route and cancelling it as unprofitable.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old July 14th 08, 11:31 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

Jon Green wrote:
HE Elsom wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jul 2008 21:53:49 +0100, magwitch wrote:

Using an aeroplane to get to Newquay and back makes you little better
than one in my eyes. What about taking a train?

I have no money, the flight was free and it was important for me to
see someone there. I hope that meets your moral standards.

Look at it another way: the extra fuel burnt from the additional weight
of you and your baggage, since the plane was going to fly that route
anyway, was miniscule. You could probably offset it by growing a couple
of rows of carrots.

Ever tried growing a couple of rows of carrots Jon?

Not a point of view that's popular amongst eco-warriors, because it
reduces them to "*grumble* Shouldn't have a plane on that route anyway
*grumble, mumble*".

Jon

All I can say is that during the '50s '60s and '70s people managed to
get to Devon or Cornwall for lovely holidays and the 4–6 hour car or
train journey was all part of the fun.

Just as the 5-day trip my college friend and I took down to Portugal to
stay with some family friends there. 30 years later, I remember
travelling through France and Spain in our clapped-out Hillman Frog-eye
Sprite far better than the ensuing 4 week holiday in Portugal itself.
Old July 14th 08, 11:40 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:31:18 on
Mon, 14 Jul 2008, magwitch remarked:
All I can say is that during the '50s '60s and '70s people managed to
get to Devon or Cornwall for lovely holidays and the 4–6 hour car or
train journey was all part of the fun.

I remember going down there by car pre-motorways, via the infamous
Honiton Bypass etc, and it wasn't much fun. Nor was it 4-6 hours!!
Old July 14th 08, 11:52 AM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

John B wrote:
On 14 Jul, 10:50, Jon Green wrote:
Not a point of view that's popular amongst eco-warriors, because it
reduces them to "*grumble* Shouldn't have a plane on that route anyway
*grumble, mumble*".

OTOH her fare could have made the difference for the airline between
continuing the route and cancelling it as unprofitable.

Yeah, and mistimed butterfly-wing flappage over Brazil has caused plane
crashes.

The Newquay route is a nice little earner for Ryanair. They've expanded
their service there since inception, due to popularity.

If you want to understand why, try lugging a 8'6" mini-mal glass fibre
board, in its carry-bag (plus a bag full of neoprene and clothes) around
a few trains, and through the London Underground system betweentimes.
If you find a way of getting the board undamaged down the escalators
without causing distress and injury to fellow travellers, do let me
know. Or, for a real laugh, take them on the bus instead.

The East Runton (Norfolk) surf's OK on the occasional days when there's
decent long-travel waves down the North Sea and no wind behind to
flatten them, but if you want to surf where it's warm (I surf Runton in
a 5mm suit even in summer!) and you can usually find surfable conditions
_somewhere_, then the West Country's beaches are the usual choice, and
the only practical ways to get there are car or plane.

Given the joys of the A30 and A39, I'd say that the plane is probably
the more green option, bizarrely enough.

Not that Helen's was a surfing trip AFAICT, but all the same...

Jon
Old July 14th 08, 12:00 PM posted to cam.misc,uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 12:31:18 on
Mon, 14 Jul 2008, magwitch remarked:
All I can say is that during the '50s '60s and '70s people managed to
get to Devon or Cornwall for lovely holidays and the 4–6 hour car or
train journey was all part of the fun.

I remember going down there by car pre-motorways, via the infamous
Honiton Bypass etc, and it wasn't much fun. Nor was it 4-6 hours!!

Well as the irishman said that would depend where you started your
journey (or something).

We used to go via Winchester, past Stonehenge on the A303 in the car,
the train was wonderful, especially when you got to Dawlish and went
beside the beach, very exciting to see the sea right next to you.

On the way back we used to stop at the East Meon pub for fish and chips.
Nowadays, I suppose children would implode with boredom of the arduous
journey and it would permanently scar their psychology or something.