Old August 19th 08, 08:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default North London Line blockade

With the forthcoming ten week bloclade of the North London line, I am
surprised that LO cannot offer a replacement bus from Wet Hampstead,
and other stations on the line, to Willesdan Jn, Instead they offer
bus to Queens Park and then train, adding another change of mode and
therefore delay.

I am further suprised that LO's timetable does not give any times for
the replacement buses. Would anyone like to guess how long West
Hampstead to Queen's Park might take?

NRE are no help; asked for St Albans to Kensington O via West
Hampstead they send me via East Croydon at nearly double the usual
fare!
--
Peter Lawrence

Old August 19th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message , Peter Lawrence
writes

With the forthcoming ten week bloclade of the North London line,

Blockade ?! Who by ? Are those darn American colonials pouring out
tea in the harbour again :-)

--
Edward Cowling "Must go - Bad attack of the Klingons !!"

Old August 19th 08, 09:54 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Tue, 19 Aug 2008 20:43:29 GMT, "Peter Lawrence"
wrote:

With the forthcoming ten week bloclade of the North London line, I am
surprised that LO cannot offer a replacement bus from Wet Hampstead,
and other stations on the line, to Willesdan Jn, Instead they offer
bus to Queens Park and then train, adding another change of mode and
therefore delay.

Because they don't give a stuff. I directly asked their staff what
they proposed to do to avoid overcrowding on LM services resulting
from their abandonment of Euston, and "umm, nothing" was the best I
managed to get in reply. Also, posters have *only just* gone up
saying no service at Euston from 1st September.

If I thought LM were bad for the "don't give a stuff" approach, LO are
the pits.

Neil

--
Neil Williams
Old August 19th 08, 11:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

With the forthcoming ten week bloclade of the North London line, I am
surprised that LO cannot offer a replacement bus from Wet Hampstead,
and other stations on the line, to Willesdan Jn, Instead they offer
bus to Queens Park and then train, adding another change of mode and
therefore delay.

Get on your bike and try the road route. I can't find anything about a
closure but I suspect a better question would be something on the
lines of "Why don't they run some trains via Primrose Hill to
compensate?" (assuming the NLL isn't closed east of Camden Road).

I am further suprised that LO's timetable does not give any times for
the replacement buses. Would anyone like to guess how long West
Hampstead to Queen's Park might take?

Even longer in the rush hour.

Old August 19th 08, 11:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

With the forthcoming ten week bloclade of the North London line, I am
surprised that LO cannot offer a replacement bus from Wet Hampstead,
and other stations on the line, to Willesdan Jn, Instead they offer
bus to Queens Park and then train, adding another change of mode and
therefore delay.

Because they don't give a stuff. I directly asked their staff what
they proposed to do to avoid overcrowding on LM services resulting
from their abandonment of Euston, and "umm, nothing" was the best I
managed to get in reply. Also, posters have *only just* gone up
saying no service at Euston from 1st September.

I find it extraordinary that the information on the TfL website only talks
about the line closures of the NLL and GOBLIN centred on Gospel Oak. It's
only if you download the leaflet that you realise that LO also won't be
serving Euston during the NLL blockade, with no explanation or apology for
this.
--
Richard J.

Old August 20th 08, 12:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

I've managed to find the leaflet on:-
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...es-leaflet.pdf
which cleverly doesn't even use the words "North London Line" at all.
There seems to be more detail in:-
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...rovements.html

The treatment of the Euston service bears a suspicious resemblance to
the "closure by stealth" methods that killed off the Watford to Broad
Street/Liverpool Street services.
Old August 20th 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default North London Line blockade (long)

Charles Ellson wrote:

Get on your bike and try the road route. I can't find anything about a
closure but I suspect a better question would be something on the
lines of "Why don't they run some trains via Primrose Hill to
compensate?" (assuming the NLL isn't closed east of Camden Road).

Exactly like they are doing, you mean?

http://snurl.com/3hvuq is the relevant page on the TfL site, which has
a PDF version of the closure leaflet thereon.

Revised train timetables can be found at http://snurl.com/3hvuz.

The basic plan is as follows:

1st September to 16th November : No service Gospel Oak - Willesden Junction

1st September to 28th September : No service Gospel Oak - Barking

22nd September to 28th September : No service Gospel Oak - Camden Road

Train Service Summary:

No service South Hampstead - Euston on Mondays to Saturdays from 1st
September to 15th November.

Up to 3 tph Watford Junction - Stratford via Primrose Hill, calling at
all intermediate stations, on Mondays to Saturdays from 1st September to
15th November. Also 2 tph Gospel Oak - Stratford (Camden Road -
Stratford from 22nd to 28th September).

On Sundays, from 7th September to 16th November, 2 tph Watford Junction
- Euston, and 2 tph Willesden Junction (Low Level) - Stratford via
Primrose Hill. Also 2 tph Gospel Oak - Kentish Town West - Camden Road -
Highbury & Islington (except 28th September).

Normal service Richmond - Willesden Junction and Willesden Junction -
Clapham Junction.

Replacement bus services:

Service A (from 1st September to 16th November): Gospel Oak - Hampstead
Heath - South Hampstead - West Hampstead - Brondesbury - Brondesbury
Park - Queen's Park - Kensal Rise

NB: This may be a typo, as the accompanying map suggests buses will run
through to Willesden Junction.

Service B (from 1st September to 28th September): Gospel Oak - Upper
Holloway - Crouch Hill - Harringay Green Lanes - South Tottenham - Seven
Sisters - Blackhorse Road

Service C (from 1st September to 28th September): Blackhorse Road -
Walthamstow Central - Leyton Midland Road - Leytonstone High Road -
Wanstead Park - Woodgrange Park - Barking

Service D (from 22nd to 28th September): Gospel Oak - Kentish Town West
- Camden Road

Valid tickets will be accepted on "some" local bus routes (unspecified
which ones though!) and the following train services:

London Midland : Euston - Watford Junction
First Capital Connect (Thameslink route) : West Hampstead Thameslink -
Kentish Town
c2c : Barking - West Ham

Cheers,

Barry
Old August 20th 08, 02:14 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 01:35:40 +0100, Barry Salter
wrote:

Charles Ellson wrote:

Get on your bike and try the road route. I can't find anything about a
closure but I suspect a better question would be something on the
lines of "Why don't they run some trains via Primrose Hill to
compensate?" (assuming the NLL isn't closed east of Camden Road).

Exactly like they are doing, you mean?

http://snurl.com/3hvuq is the relevant page on the TfL site, which has
a PDF version of the closure leaflet thereon.

Yes, as I later mentioned in the main thread, I found that eventually
despite them cunningly omitting any mention of the phrase "North
London Line" thus partly hiding it from being Googled. It would be
interesting to hear how well exposed any notices are on the NL/DC
lines having seen the words "There will be no refunds available on
existing tickets, season tickets or Travelcards.".
Old August 20th 08, 03:57 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Charles Ellson wrote:

Get on your bike and try the road route. I can't find anything about a
closure but I suspect a better question would be something on the
lines of "Why don't they run some trains via Primrose Hill to
compensate?" (assuming the NLL isn't closed east of Camden Road).

Exactly like they are doing, you mean?

It seems like a great idea, until you realise that this is the reason
there's no Euston service (because the trains are being diverted to
Stratford).

I suppose the real question is, why don't they run a Willesden Jn (LL
bay platform) to Stratford service, in addition to the Euston service,
instead of completely arbitrarily withdrawing the service to Euston?
Old August 20th 08, 05:20 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008 04:57:04 +0100, asdf
wrote:

I suppose the real question is, why don't they run a Willesden Jn (LL
bay platform) to Stratford service, in addition to the Euston service,
instead of completely arbitrarily withdrawing the service to Euston?

Because they want to experiment to see what happens, to dictate their
future plans?

Neil

--
Neil Williams