Old August 23rd 08, 04:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Width Restrictions

While driving from Pickhurst Lane, Bromley, Greater London, to the
M25 using my satnav. I was driving down a main road when suddenly I
was confrontedwith posts in the road restricting it to the width of
cars only. I didn't see any warning signs and I shudder to think what
would have happened had I been towing a largeish caravan or driving a
van or lorry.

I left the Pickhurst pub (where I only had a coffee) and turned down
Mead Way then went into Hayes Lane then joined Bromley Common then
Masons Hill then on to Kentish Way.

I think this justifies a letter to the relevant local authority but I
cannot remember the name of the road involved. It may have been Mead
Way, Hayes Lane or Masons Hill.

Since my satnav does't warn me about width restrictions and Microsoft
Autoroute doesn't list them, where can I get a list of width
restrictions nationwide?

--
Alasdair.

Old August 23rd 08, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Alasdair wrote:

I think this justifies a letter to the relevant local authority but I
cannot remember the name of the road involved. It may have been Mead
Way, Hayes Lane or Masons Hill.

I already told you when you asked yesterday in news:uk.transport.

Old August 23rd 08, 09:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 17:23:26 +0100, "John Rowland"
wrote:

I already told you when you asked yesterday in news:uk.transport.

Thank you. I was hoping to find out where I could get a complete list
of width restrictions.

--
Alasdair.
Old August 24th 08, 07:53 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Alasdair wrote:

While driving from Pickhurst Lane, Bromley, Greater London, to the
M25 using my satnav. I was driving down a main road when suddenly I
was confrontedwith posts in the road restricting it to the width of
cars only. I didn't see any warning signs and I shudder to think what
would have happened had I been towing a largeish caravan or driving a
van or lorry.

Maybe you would have seen the restriction, and turned around?

What do you do when you come to a rail crossing with a turn afterwards,
would you turn onto the rail line as the sat nav tells you to turn left?

Alan.

Old August 24th 08, 10:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I already told you when you asked yesterday in news:uk.transport.

Thank you. *I was hoping to find out where I could get a complete list
of width restrictions.

--
Alasdair.

I do not know of an on-line source. Some satnav systems take account
of height & width restrictions and some don't. I presume the satnav
companies obtain their data from the Traffic Orders made by each
traffic authority (usually the local council except for motorways,
trunk roads and TfL network). There is no national list of Traffic
Orders.

In London if you are not sure which authority to contact over a steet
fault (missing signs in this case) try reporting via TfL's website
www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers - TfL say they will pass it to the
appropriate Borough if it is not a TfL road.