Old September 16th 08, 09:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Changeless bus passenger denied boarding

On Sep 16, 1:41*am, (Colin Rosenstiel) wrote:
In article ,

(Tom Anderson) wrote:
The problem is that
cash comes in doses of 10 or 20 pounds, as notes. You cannot get
money from a cash machine in any smaller quantity.

Er, I regularly get cash in £5 notes from a cash machine (in Cambridge)..

There's one in Russell Square that gives fivers as well. It's been
suggested that it has something to do with proximity to students, but
if so it's not consistent.

Old September 16th 08, 11:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:

If you think
I'm being unreasonable then go into a corner shop and see the reaction
you get if you try and buy a mars bar with a 50 quid note.

Isn't there an actual law that allows retailers the ability to refuse
payment if offered in too high a denomination?

Old September 16th 08, 11:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Tom Anderson wrote:

This is, to my mind, a major hole in the payment arrangements for the
buses, and i believe i've ranted about this before. The problem is that
cash comes in doses of 10 or 20 pounds, as notes. You cannot get money
from a cash machine in any smaller quantity.

Even today I still sometimes get £5 notes out of some HSBC branch machines.
It's not consistent though.

Old September 16th 08, 12:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Sep 16, 12:50*pm, "Tim Roll-Pickering" T.C.Roll-
wrote:
Boltar wrote:
If you think
I'm being unreasonable then go into a corner shop and see the reaction
you get if you try and buy a mars bar with a 50 quid note.

Isn't there an actual law that allows retailers the ability to refuse
payment if offered in too high a denomination?

I thought it was the other way round, eg paying £150 in 2p coins.
Old September 16th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 12:50:18 on Tue, 16
Sep 2008, Tim Roll-Pickering remarked:
If you think
I'm being unreasonable then go into a corner shop and see the reaction
you get if you try and buy a mars bar with a 50 quid note.

Isn't there an actual law that allows retailers the ability to refuse
payment if offered in too high a denomination?

They don't have to give change, and most of the time can refuse to do
the transaction if sensible payment isn't offered. It gets a bit blurred
in the public imagination when the retailer is a "public service" (sic).

Old September 16th 08, 03:19 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , a@b (Martin
Underwood) wrote:

Most (all?) NatWest cashpoints allow you to withdraw cash in
multiples of £10 and this is dispensed as £10 notes - and for
larger sums, often in £20 notes with just the remaining £10 (if
any) as a £10 note. I've not seen a cashpoint dispense £5 notes for
many many years.

You just haven't looked at the right ones, though the one I know is a
Lloyds TSB machine.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old September 16th 08, 03:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 16 Sep 2008, Boltar wrote:

On Sep 15, 7:52 pm, Tom Anderson wrote:

This is, to my mind, a major hole in the payment arrangements for the
buses, and i believe i've ranted about this before. The problem is that
cash comes in doses of 10 or 20 pounds, as notes. You cannot get money
from a cash machine in any smaller quantity. Bus drivers may refuse
these, and you certainly can't use them in the little ticket machines
at stops. Thus, if you're not near an open shop, whether because you're
somewhere remote or it's late, you're a bit stuffed.

If someone has a high value note and no change (though to be honest how
many people knowing they're going to catch a bus later wouldn't make
sure they had some pound coins on them?) and the bus driver has no
change he should have the option to issue tickets for however many
journeys the note would pay for. The passenger can then either hand over
the whole note or get off and walk.

That sounds like a very good idea. In fact, an ex-driver said upthread
that that's exactly what they used to do, more or less - give you a chit
you could take to a bus depot and cash in.

It doesn't address the problem with recharging your oyster at night,
though. I would have thought that could be done fairly simply by having
some oyster machines - which could be of the card-only type - on the
outside of tube stations, and so accessible outside opening hours.

There really also need to be card-operated oyster vending machines at all
major points of arrival into London, including Victoria Coach Station. I
was catching a night bus from Victoria in the wee small hours a few weeks
ago, and had to explain to some hapless Spanish tourists who'd just got
off a coach that yes, they really were going to have to go and find some
kind of shop that was open to get change, and then spend four pounds each
on two singles to take them and their luggage about a mile to their hotel.
That's bull**** behaviour on TfL's part - if you're going to apply
punitive pricing to paper tickets, you also have to make it easy to get
electronic ones.

tom

--
Any problem in computer science can be solved with another layer of
indirection. -- David Wheeler