Old October 9th 08, 08:04 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Default London bus strikes

Feel free to take a PSV test. Free uniform is hardly a perk, having to
wear a uniform is a major disadvantage -- it'd be worse than having to
wear a suit!

I spend about �1,500 p.a. on clothing and laundering, so free uniform
would be a perk for me.

But free travel, paid holidays, paid sick leave, contributory pension
are all luxuries to someone who is self-employed and earns nothing
when ill or on holiday, has to provide his own pension, medical
insurance etc, etc.

Marc.

Old October 9th 08, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

And, indeed, I will earn nothing on Friday thanks to these *******s
who will prevent me from getting to work.

Marc.
Old October 9th 08, 08:11 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

wrote in message
And, indeed, I will earn nothing on Friday thanks to these *******s
who will prevent me from getting to work.

Marc.

Really, are you trapped in 'The Ragged Trousered Philanthropist's'.

Old October 10th 08, 08:29 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 9, 7:45 pm, " wrote:
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD: DIFFERENT PEOPLE DOING THE SAME JOB IN
DIFFERENT COMPANIES GET PAID DIFFERENTLY. GET REAL AND GET OVER IT.

You're wasting your breath. Public sector workers live in a parallel
universe where pay is always more than the job deserves, working hours
are short, all benefits are non contributory and more money is always
available from the magic money pot. They should just fire the fscking
lot of them because they'll be able to replace them all with hard
working poles within a week.

B2003

Old October 10th 08, 08:31 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 9, 9:23 pm, wrote:
Seems to me that the GREAT Mrs Thatcher did not quite manage to do a
good enough job of eradicating this country of ****ing unions .

Agreed. Unions have had their day - they no longer fight against
inequality , now they just fight against anyone who wont give in to
their unreasonable demands. They should be outlawed and be replaced by
some sort of legal framework applicable to everyone.

B2003

Old October 10th 08, 08:32 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 9, 9:04 pm, " wrote:
Feel free to take a PSV test. Free uniform is hardly a perk, having to
wear a uniform is a major disadvantage -- it'd be worse than having to
wear a suit!

I spend about 1,500 p.a. on clothing and laundering, so free uniform
would be a perk for me.

But free travel, paid holidays, paid sick leave, contributory pension
are all luxuries to someone who is self-employed and earns nothing
when ill or on holiday, has to provide his own pension, medical
insurance etc, etc.

Typical contractors we employ in my office get about 2x normal salary
-- and that's quite low for the field.

If you're in a £24k job and spending 10% of your net income on
clothing, you need to get a new job.
Old October 10th 08, 09:00 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On 10 Oct, 09:32, Paul Weaver wrote:
Typical contractors we employ in my office get about 2x normal salary
-- and that's quite low for the field.

If you're in a £24k job and spending 10% of your net income on
clothing, you need to get a new job.

Indeed. I've never been especially convinced by the logic of "I've got
two PhDs in astrophysics and only make GBP5 per week, so
$group_of_manual_workers should starve in the gutter"...

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old October 10th 08, 10:37 AM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 10, 10:00 am, John B wrote:
Indeed. I've never been especially convinced by the logic of "I've got
two PhDs in astrophysics and only make GBP5 per week, so
$group_of_manual_workers should starve in the gutter"...

A job should be paid on the amount of effort (either physical or
mental) or danger it entails. Hence deep sea divers are paid a lot,
scientists and soldiers should be paid a lot but arn't , bus drivers
should not. Their job is neither mentally or physically taxing and
apart from the odd yob with a flick knife in certain dodgy areas not
exactly dangerous either.

B2003

Old October 10th 08, 04:34 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

On Oct 10, 3:02�pm, wrote:
On Fri, 10 Oct 2008 03:37:31 -0700 (PDT), Boltar

wrote:
Their job is neither mentally or physically taxing and
apart from the odd yob with a flick knife in certain dodgy areas not
exactly dangerous either.

Cant agree with you on these points I would not go back to driving
buses for twice what drivers are getting today we used to think we
where hard done by back in the sixties and seventies.With employers
like Stagecoach who have cut journey times down so much a driver
cannot keep on time without any slight hold ups a driver must be
nackered at the end of a shift . I have recently traveled on three
routes which when I was driving I used to dread due to having to crawl
at a snails pace to prevent being early at any given timing point now
for the most point it is pedal to metal and they can hardly keep to
time .

Is that why drivers on routes 28 and 295 drive like Formula 1 drivers
for most of the route, failing to stop even when passengers are
standing in the road hailing them, and then when they (in case of 295)
get to the Clapham Junction terminus they take a 30 to 45 minute
break?

Marc.
Old October 10th 08, 07:34 PM posted to uk.transport.buses,uk.transport.london

Boltar wrote:
On Oct 9, 7:45 pm, " wrote:
WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD: DIFFERENT PEOPLE DOING THE SAME JOB IN
DIFFERENT COMPANIES GET PAID DIFFERENTLY. GET REAL AND GET OVER IT.

You're wasting your breath. Public sector workers live in a parallel
universe where pay is always more than the job deserves, working hours
are short, all benefits are non contributory and more money is always
available from the magic money pot. They should just fire the fscking
lot of them because they'll be able to replace them all with hard
working poles within a week.

B2003

These ARE private companies!
Maybe the drivers should take a leaf out of the City workers and pay
themselves a few £million bonus and then get billions of tax payers
money when it goes tits up.
Oh! I forgot they are not public sector workers.
Isn't it getting confusing?