Old November 11th 08, 10:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Nov 11, 10:01*am, Stephen Furley wrote:
On 11/11/08 08:20, in article
, "Railist"

wrote:

I really like them, I don't find them that intrusive, especially when
she says 'Seats are available on the upper deck', as the morons on my
local route, 417, are frightened of stairs it seems and bunch around
the front doors.

She also drowns out the sound from leaking headphones, which is much
more of a distraction.

I find they're a bit loud on some buses.

Does anybody have a full list of the announcements available, other than the
route, destination and next stop?

I've heard:

'Bus will wait here whilst drivers are changed'

'Bus will wait here for a few minutes in order to help regulate the service'

'The next bus stop is closed'

And a couple of others that I can't remember.

I anecdoted in the past that I was on a 21 in the Old Kent Road which,
every time it was displaying "21 to Lewisham Centre" actually
announced "Crystal Palace" (although it was correct at announcing the
stops on the approach).

A place name on its own doesn't even seem to be a normal
announcement. (Has New Cross garage got any routes that even go to
Crystal Palace?)

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...
Old November 11th 08, 11:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:

[...]

Not that I can think of, in fact I cannot think of any bus that even
passes the garage that goes there.

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...

you do get some funny ones sometimes, I was on a 484 a few weeks ago
which suddenly announced that there were more seats available on the
upper deck, unfortunately being a single decker we were unable to access
said upper deck, the bus only had a few people on board, we were all in
fits of laughter, including the driver, who apparently had no control over
the content of the messages.

--
Martin

replies to newsgroup only please.
Old November 14th 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 12:21, Martin Smith wrote:

you do get some funny ones sometimes, I was on a 484 a few weeks ago
which suddenly announced that there were more seats available on the
upper deck, unfortunately being a single decker we were unable to access
said upper deck, the bus only had a few people on board, we were all in
fits of laughter, including the driver, who apparently had no control over
the content of the messages.

I thought that one was only announced if the driver selected it, as
iBus itself clearly doesn't know if there are any seats available on
the upper deck or not.

Neil
Old November 13th 08, 07:47 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 03:21:12 -0800 (PST), MIG
wrote:

I anecdoted in the past that [...]

You're verbing!

Verbing weirds language...
Old November 14th 08, 09:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 11:21, MIG wrote:

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...

Not sure - I've been on one that was announcing things totally out of
sync.

Neil

Old November 14th 08, 09:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 14 Nov, 10:20, Neil Williams wrote:
On 11 Nov, 11:21, MIG wrote:

I conjectured that "Crystal Palace" must be the default announcment
that is recorded over ...

Not sure - I've been on one that was announcing things totally out of
sync.

Neil

This weirdness was completely in sync, just kept saying "Crystal
Palace" every time it displayed "21 to Lewisham Centre" while
correctly announcing all the stops beforehand. Also, I don't think
there's a bus stop called Crystal Palace, so this was like a
destination on its own, which isn't part of a normal announcement.
(And their buses don't go to Crystal Palace ...)
Old November 14th 08, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov, 11:21, MIG wrote:

I anecdoted in the past that I was on a 21 in the Old Kent Road which,
every time it was displaying "21 to Lewisham Centre" actually
announced "Crystal Palace" (although it was correct at announcing the
stops on the approach).

I failed to anecdote at the time, that about six months ago I was
on an A10 which at some point started to consistently announce itself
as two stops ahead of its real location.

It eventually announced the same one twice to catch up a bit, but
it's still a spectacularly unhelpful failure mode!

Hth

Henry