Old December 14th 08, 07:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo gateline

On 14 Dec, 12:19, MIG wrote:
But I am not clear on whether there is a distinction between
"interchange" validators and other standalone validators (ie all along
the DLR) which are neither entry nor exit.

There's a logical distinction between validators that are physically
located between two PAYG routes (eg at Stratford), and validators that
aren't (eg at non-OSI DLR stations), as for the latter it can be
safely assumed you're touching out because you've finished you're
journey. That said, I can't see a pressing need to make this
assumption, so it may be that the latter act exactly like the former.
You'd have to do your experiment to find out.

Old December 14th 08, 08:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
wrote:
In article ,
(Sarah Brown) wrote:

In article ,
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

As long as I pass through Waterloo gateline, I am in paradise.

Huh? What are you on, Sarah?

Ever since I saw this thread title, it's been giving me Waterloo
Sunset as an earworm, because it has the right number of sylables, I
suspect.
Old December 14th 08, 08:47 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Sarah Brown wrote:

In article ,
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

As long as I pass through Waterloo gateline, I am in paradise.

Someone tell Julie that Terry is stuck outside Hampton Court on a failed
455...

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Old December 14th 08, 09:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In article ,
Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
Sarah Brown wrote:

In article ,
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

As long as I pass through Waterloo gateline, I am in paradise.

Someone tell Julie that Terry is stuck outside Hampton Court on a failed
455...

We would like to announce to millions of people swarming like flies
round Waterloo Underground that there are severe delays on the
Northern, Bakerloo, Jubilee and Waterloo and City Lines. There is a
good service on all other London Underground lines.

Old December 14th 08, 09:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:19:17 +0000 someone who may be Paul Corfield
wrote this:-

For rail
applications in the UK I am not aware of any standard width gate that
works on the basis of "first come, first served" in that it can be entry
or exit depending on which ticket transport / card reader is activated
first.

A long time ago someone thought swing doors which automatically
opened away from people would be a good idea, in a large computer
centre somewhere in Scotland. They were fairly big doors and the
idea was that working this way would speed things up for people
pushing trolleys. The idea was simple enough in theory and it worked
when tested. However, the testing was not thorough enough. Within a
few days of the inmates being introduced to the building the first
instances of what was missing in design and testing occurred. Two
people would walk up to the doors and the one who got there
fractionally first would find the doors opening away from them, the
person who got to the doors second would find a door swinging
towards them (and their trolley sometimes) at a fair speed. Some
people were felled by the doors, fortunately without serious
injuries.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

Old December 15th 08, 07:21 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

In message
Sarah Brown wrote:

In article ,
Graeme Wall wrote:
In message
Sarah Brown wrote:

In article ,
Matthew Dickinson wrote:
The gateline at Waterloo mainline seems to be finished apart from a
few ceiling tiles and and some fencing.

As long as I pass through Waterloo gateline, I am in paradise.

Someone tell Julie that Terry is stuck outside Hampton Court on a failed
455...

We would like to announce to millions of people swarming like flies
round Waterloo Underground that there are severe delays on the
Northern, Bakerloo, Jubilee and Waterloo and City Lines. There is a
good service on all other London Underground lines.

I suggest they cross over the river and get the train from Charing Cross.
They'll feel safe and sound.

--
Graeme Wall
This address is not read, substitute trains for rail.
Transport Miscellany at http://www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail/index.html

Oyster PAYG gateline experiment Sky Rider London Transport 10 January 14th 10 10:21 AM
UTS Gateline codes Q London Transport 0 November 12th 09 10:10 PM
Stratford Jubilee gateline defunct Walter Briscoe London Transport 1 October 1st 09 06:24 PM
Wandsworth Town station gateline Lucas London Transport 20 August 18th 09 03:50 PM
City Thameslink gateline Sky Rider London Transport 20 January 31st 07 05:40 PM