Old December 20th 08, 03:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default district line closing time

On 20 Dec, 16:42, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

On 20 Dec, 14:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Larry wrote:

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play
to have a meal and take some rest?

Apparently the station is now surrounded by lots of new French
restaurants.

Eurostar shooting themselves in the foot there somewhat...

Eurostar doesn't own all of the shops in the Kings Cross area.

True - I thought you may have been referring to eateries within St
Pancras station, to which I haven't paid a great deal of attention.

Can anyone recommend one of these new French restaurants at all? Not
that the OP, having just come from Paris, will really need such a
recommendation... so can anyone recommend a good restaurant offering
traditional British dishes in Kings Cross? I can't immediately think
of one I must admit. I recall there being a decent looking place in
the new Regent's Quarter development just north of Pentonville Road,
but I think it's Spanish.

Old December 20th 08, 04:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Larry" wrote in message
In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

Fares - you should buy yourself a zones 1&2 Day Travelcard at a cost
of £5.30 this year - the price will rise to £5.60 next year. This will
cover you for unlimited journeys on the Underground in zones 1&2 -
i.e. the central area - plus all London buses.

I cannot thank you all enough!!

I was wondering if there was any bus to get to the Fulham Broadway area
at first to enjoy the views since is my first time visiting London. I'll
take the tube to get to the King's Cross Station when the match is over.

The TfL journey planner
http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk/
gives you the option of selecting which mode of transport.

If you choose bus it will probably involve a change at University College
Hospital
--
David Biddulph

Old December 20th 08, 06:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008, Larry wrote:

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

Fares - you should buy yourself a zones 1&2 Day Travelcard at a cost of
£5.30 this year - the price will rise to £5.60 next year. This will
cover you for unlimited journeys on the Underground in zones 1&2 - i.e.
the central area - plus all London buses.

I cannot thank you all enough!!

I was wondering if there was any bus to get to the Fulham Broadway area
at first to enjoy the views since is my first time visiting London. I'll
take the tube to get to the King's Cross Station when the match is over.

You could take a river ferry from Blackfriars to Chelsea Harbour, and then
walk or bus the remaining mile from there to Stamford Bridge. However, the
ferry, being mainly for commuters, only runs mondays to fridays, and the
only sailings are at 1710, 1820, and 1910. There might be pleasure boats
that sail that route at other times, i'm not sure. I should mention that
ferries aren't really within the travelcard system - a travelcard gives
you a discount on the fare, not a free ride. If you wanted to do this, you
could get from KX to Blackfriars by bus, or the Thameslink railway line.

As for buses to Fulham, not a clue, but look for one which goes down the
King's Road, or along the Chelsea Embankment, as those will be the most
visually appealing routes, i think.

tom

--
Someone needs to invent a comedy mirror where you can see how bad you
are before you go out in public. -- p_nochio
Old December 20th 08, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,

*Subject:* district line closing time
*From:* Tom Anderson
*Date:* Sat, 20 Dec 2008 13:46:28 +0000

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008,
wrote:

In article ,
(Larry) wrote:

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:

But you would be in no danger of missing the last train.

well, that cheers me up a lot!

I'm planning to get to London by the Eurostar train from Paris.

The
train stops at the St. Pancras International station; so the

King's
Cross St. Pancras subway station should be nearby. How do I get

the Fulham Broadway station? How much is it?

Do you think the St. Pancras International station is a nice play
to have a meal and take some rest?

At a price! There are a few more reasonable alternatives across
the road
from King's Cross station next door, including a pleasant enough
noodle
bar cum takeaway.

And a terrific Ethiopian, five minutes' walk up Caledonian Road.

You have a choice from King's Cross St Pancras tube to Fulham
Broadway. Either the Circle or Hammersmith and City Lines
westbound to Paddington (Circle) or Edgware Road, changing to a
District train from Edgware Road to Wimbledon. The advantage of
the Circle in particular and this route in general is that the
change at Paddington is on the same platform and that at Edgware
Road is often cross-platform. Sometimes you have to cross the
bridge there, though, hence my preference for Paddington if a
Circle Line train comes first at King's Cross.

This would also be my first choice of route.

The other route is to take the Victoria Line from King's Cross St
Pancras tube to Victoria and change to the District Line there.
If the first train if not for Wimbledon, take the first (but not
a Circle train) to Earl's Court and change to a Wimbledon train
there.

Or Piccadilly from KX to Earl's Court. It's slower than the
Victoria option, but avoids changing at Victoria. I mention it
largely for completeness!

I wouldn't normally consider that route.

My reason for preferring the Victoria is that it is consistently faster
across London because its route is better laid out for speed and its top
speed is more than 50% above those of other tube lines. Until recently my
second option always seemed the faster tube route to Putney, though
Victoria Line to Vauxhall and SWT to Putney is the fastest, not relevant
for Fulham Broadway of course nor possible with Oyster PAYG and more
expensive from Cambridge without a ODTC.

My reasons for preferring the Circle route these days are that it has
proved no slower recently when travelling with my granddaughter in a buggy
for whom the same platform interchange is much easier. Avoiding escalators
and stairs is another reason then. I must have been fitter and obviously
younger when doing the journey with my children in buggies.

Not trying to board a Wimbledon train at Earls Court is an extra issue
when Chelsea are playing at home. I've got caught by that too often when
travelling with a bike to my mother's from St James's Park!

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 20th 08, 09:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Corfield wrote:

Are you supporting Chelsea or the other team? If it is the "other team"
then it may be sensible to not wear their colours while on the tube as
you're likely to be travelling with several hundred Chelsea fans!

Well, I was afraid you'd ask that. I'm not supporting Chelsea. Yet, for
my sake, I won't be wearing any colours at all!

Old December 20th 08, 10:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Can anyone recommend one of these new French restaurants at all? Not
that the OP, having just come from Paris, will really need such a
recommendation... so can anyone recommend a good restaurant offering
traditional British dishes in Kings Cross? I can't immediately think
of one I must admit. I recall there being a decent looking place in
the new Regent's Quarter development just north of Pentonville Road,
but I think it's Spanish.

No idea on KX; but how about a different tack:

a. from Kings Cross take Piccadilly Line to Covent Garden

b. walk through Covent Garden (one of London's popular tourist
destinations) and eat there or nearby: a plethora of cuisines and price
brackets - including, as an exemplar of British cooking, and bearing in
mind the strength of the Euro (spit!!!), http://www.rules.co.uk/ (I can
recommend the Rib of Beef, on the Bone or the Steak, Kidney & Oyster
Pudding). It ain't really the place for a pre-match snack though )

c. then it's a 15 minute walk to Embankment (via Trafalgar Square to
tick it off - though I think it is only worth it for those who
appreciate the history) to catch the Circle; or a 25 minute walk via
Trafalgar Square and Whitehall to see the House of Parliament and
Westminster Abbey before getting the District Line again from
Westminster; or if time is tight Piccadilly Line again from Covent
Garden to Earl's Court and District Line from there?
--
Robin

Old December 21st 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Dec, 22:25, Larry wrote:

In article ,
*Paul Corfield wrote:

Are you supporting Chelsea or the other team? *If it is the "other team"
then it may be sensible to not wear their colours while on the tube as
you're likely to be travelling with several hundred Chelsea fans! *

Well, I was afraid you'd ask that. I'm not supporting Chelsea. Yet, for
my sake, I won't be wearing any colours at all!

So you won't be wearing your zebra colours then?
Old December 21st 08, 09:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london

I'm going to completely disagree with the routes above and suggest
going for the Piccadilly from Earl's Court, as it's much more frequent
and faster than the Circle and District lines. The change at
Paddington also means that the topic starter cannot take any
Hammersmith and City line trains, even though they may very well
provide a faster journey than waiting for a circle line train at
Paddington.

Every day I have the choice of taking either the District line or the
Northern Line + NR for my commute, and every time I've gone for the
District I've regretted it. It's just so horribly slow, infrequent and
prone to delays.
I'd even consider just walking from Stamford Bridge to Earl's Court to
avoid the District altogether.
Old December 21st 08, 10:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Dec, 01:35, Mizter T wrote:
On 20 Dec, 22:25, Larry wrote:
Well, I was afraid you'd ask that. I'm not supporting Chelsea. Yet, for
my sake, I won't be wearing any colours at all!

So you won't be wearing your zebra colours then?

Fx: sound of penny dropping!

Chelsea vs Juventus, Champions League, Feb 25th, 19:45. Enjoy the
match.