Old December 21st 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default district line closing time

On 21 Dec, 11:40, wrote:

On 21 Dec, 01:35, Mizter T wrote:

On 20 Dec, 22:25, Larry wrote:
Well, I was afraid you'd ask that. I'm not supporting Chelsea. Yet, for
my sake, I won't be wearing any colours at all!

So you won't be wearing your zebra colours then?

Fx: sound of penny dropping!

Chelsea vs Juventus, Champions League, Feb 25th, 19:45. * Enjoy the
match.

I should have been a bit more cryptic and just said "No zebras
then?" !

The draw for this round of the Champion's League was on Friday so
given the timing of the OP's question this has to be the game he's
planning on heading to. (Well, probably!)
Old December 21st 08, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
Mizter T wrote:

So you won't be wearing your zebra colours then?

I will, deep down. Yet, I won't look like a zebra!
Old December 21st 08, 11:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
sweek wrote:

I'd even consider just walking from Stamford Bridge to Earl's Court to
avoid the District altogether.

How long does it take?
Old December 21st 08, 12:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Dec, 11:46, wrote:
That was why I advised taking the first train to Edgware Road and changing
there if it is a Hammersmith and City. The Piccadilly is much slower and
the time taken to get down to deep level and back can't be ignored either.

If the Piccadilly is much slower, than why does TfL recommend this
route?
King's Cross St. Pancras to Fulham Broadway is 26 minutes via the
Piccadilly and a change at Earl's Court vs. around 31 minutes for the
District/Circle route. Plus the potentially much longer wait for the 6
tph between Edgware Road and Wimbledon vs. 24 trains per hour on the
Piccadilly and at least 12 tph on the last bit of the District from
Earl's Court.

Every day I have the choice of taking either the District line or the
Northern Line + NR for my commute, and every time I've gone for the
District I've regretted it. It's just so horribly slow, infrequent and
prone to delays.
I'd even consider just walking from Stamford Bridge to Earl's Court to
avoid the District altogether.

I've used the District, especially the Wimbledon branch, all my life. I
just don't agree with your assessment.

In my case it's also the Wimbledon branch to Parsons Green or Putney
Bridge, but I prefer national rail from Wandsworth Town by far.

Old December 21st 08, 08:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(sweek) wrote:

On 21 Dec, 11:46, wrote:
That was why I advised taking the first train to Edgware Road and
changing there if it is a Hammersmith and City. The Piccadilly is
much slower and the time taken to get down to deep level and back
can't be ignored either.

If the Piccadilly is much slower, than why does TfL recommend this
route?

Because it doesn't.

King's Cross St. Pancras to Fulham Broadway is 26 minutes via the
Piccadilly and a change at Earl's Court vs. around 31 minutes for
the District/Circle route. Plus the potentially much longer wait for
the 6 tph between Edgware Road and Wimbledon vs. 24 trains per hour
on the Piccadilly and at least 12 tph on the last bit of the District
from Earl's Court.

Hmm. Not what the TfL journey planner says here. I put in St Pancras
International to Fulham Broadway which adds 7 or 8 minutes walking (the
extra minute to get to the Piccadilly Line) to get to the tube from SPI.
The times, including the walk, are 36 minutes via the Piccadilly and 35
minutes via the Circle and District or the Victoria and District.

What you are overlooking is that the last place you want to get on a
District train to Fulham Broadway when there is a match at Stamford Bridge
is Earls Court. Trains get very crowded there so you don't get a seat for
certain and quite likely don't even get onto the first Wimbledon train.
Far better to get on one at Edgware Road/Paddington or at Victoria.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 21st 08, 09:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Dec, 21:14, wrote:

In article ,

(Larry) wrote:
In article
,
*sweek wrote:

I'd even consider just walking from Stamford Bridge to Earl's Court
to avoid the District altogether.

How long does it take?

29 minute according to the TfL Journey Planner. It also says it takes
12-14 minutes via Fulham Broadway and the District Line. Only someone with
a very warped view would take the walking option for preference.

I do hope you're not suggesting people who choose walking over being
conveyed all have a very warped view?!

In this particular instance, I agree with you in that in the case of
the OP, Larry, it would probably be best for him to use the District
line and get off at Fulham Broadway - so if he was going via the
Piccadilly line then he should simply change at Earl's Court on to a
District line train heading for Wimbledon. Apart from anything else,
if there were to any problems on the District line that evening which
were causing delays, then on a match day there is a considerable
impetus to London Underground in getting thousands of fans to their
destination - in other words maintaining a good service on the
Wimbledon branch of the District line would become a priority. So I
wouldn't regard that as a problem at all (and by the by I've never
actually had any massive issues with the Wimbledon branch either).

However the idea that walking between Earl's Court and the Stamford
Bridge ground is some sort of mammoth feat needs to be dispelled -
walking it is not really that daft an idea, and is hardly impossible!
Here is a map showing the are in question (Earl's Court Underground
station being at the top):
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=177750&ar=N

One thing you must bear in mind from the outset is that the TfL
planner defaults to assuming that people walk at a slug's pace. The
TfL planner estimates that it will take 22 at a fast pace, 29 at an
average pace (the number you quoted) and 42 mins to walk it at a slow
pace. This is wonky. Instead check out the timings that the 'walk it'
planner gives for the same walking route - 14 mins fast, 19 mins
medium, 29 mins slow. As you can see there's a significant disparity
between the times given by those two planners.

'walk it' - http://www.walkit.com/london

I'm not entirely sure how fast I walk, to be honest, though of course
it varies between quick step and a more sedate pace - I've only used
TfL's planner to plan a walking route a handful of times (if that) but
the 'fast pace' setting seemed to be broadly in the right ball park,
to borrow a phrase. Actually I'll endeavour to try and test out their
timing estimates - problem being that I normally just use an A-Z and
have some appreciation of the scale so don't bother with all this
online route planning malarkey.

Anyway - you say 12-14 mins for District line from Earl's Court to
Fulham Broadway then walk to Stamford Bridge though I've just got 11
mins! - perhaps it depends what time of day you input), so a 14 minute
fast paced walk or 19 minute medium paced one compares quite well with
that!

A few other thoughts... The walking route is actually takes in some
pretty busy roads so is perhaps not the best introduction to London
for a first time visitor - that said the houses down Finborough Road
and Ifield Road (and indeed Redcliffe Gardens should one go that way)
are still rather splendid despite this (it's not like there's a
massive highway en-route or something). Actually one can even take a
small diversion and walk through Brompton Cemetary when it's open,
which it won't be at this time in the evening! All in all though I
think my advice to Larry would be to follow the crowds and take
Underground to Fulham Broadway.
Old December 21st 08, 09:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 21 Dec, 21:59, "Peter Smyth" wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
(Larry) wrote:

In article
,
*sweek wrote:

I'd even consider just walking from Stamford Bridge to Earl's Court
to avoid the District altogether.

How long does it take?

29 minute according to the TfL Journey Planner. It also says it
takes 12-14 minutes via Fulham Broadway and the District Line.
Only someone with a very warped view would take the walking
option for preference.

Walking to Earls Court is a sensible alternative if the match has just
finished. It is less than a mile so will take about 20 minutes. With
40000 people all trying to get onto the tube it could take 20 minutes
just to get onto a train at Fulham Broadway.

Having just posted a long response to Colin's "warped view" comments
in which I end up recommending him to keep it simple and go via Fulham
Broadway, you come out with this and make me realise that I'd totally
failed to take that into account!

You're quite right - on the way back after the match walking to Earl's
Court is likely to be a good option as opposed to waiting in the queue
to get in to Fulham Broadway station and on to a train, and it'll be a
particularly good option if going back via the Piccadilly line from
Earl's Court. I suppose in the case of the OP that needs to be offset
with his unfamiliarity with the area, especially if he didn't walk
this way on the way to the match, and with how adventurous he might be
feeling. I can see that, despite the wait, the 'keep-it-easy' option
of going via Fulham Broadway station has its attractions.