Old January 14th 09, 11:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

Default Crossrail - is it certain now?

Given that the Astoria is going to be demolished to make way for the
new TCR station, is Crossrail 100% certain now or are there still
funding queries? Also something I've been wondering is where will they
find the space at Farringdon for the major interchange that will be
needed , theres hardly anywhere for the station to expand in to?

B2003

Old January 14th 09, 12:18 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Jan 14, 12:51*pm, "John Rowland"
wrote:
Given that the Astoria is going to be demolished to make way for the
new TCR station, is Crossrail 100% certain now or are there still
funding queries? Also something I've been wondering is where will they
find the space at Farringdon for the major interchange that will be
needed , theres hardly anywhere for the station to expand in to?

The Crossrail station will be on the south side of the road. There will be
an underground passage to the existing station behind the barriers.

I noticed, walking out of Farringdon today, that the block on the
south side of Cowcross Street opposite the station (formerly a
newsagents, sandwich shop and dubious-looking-sauna) has been closed
down and is clearly awaiting demolition.

I'd assumed this was in connection with the Thameslink works, but it
could be early doors on Crossrail. Anyone know?

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old January 14th 09, 12:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Jan 14, 12:30*pm, wrote:
Given that the Astoria is going to be demolished to make way for the
new TCR station, is Crossrail 100% certain now or are there still
funding queries?

There's a tower block on Whitechapel Road near Aldgate East station
that's supposed to be a 22-storey building, but has got stuck at about
12 because the developer (an Irish/Icelandic joint ventu
bubblelicious!) has gone bust. They haven't done any work since the
Iceland crash.

Relevance to Crossrail? It's approved, it's going ahead, a funding
package has been agree and work has started - but that still doesn't
make it 100% certain.

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old January 14th 09, 12:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On Jan 14, 1:21*pm, John B wrote:
There's a tower block on Whitechapel Road near Aldgate East station
that's supposed to be a 22-storey building, but has got stuck at about
12 because the developer (an Irish/Icelandic joint ventu
bubblelicious!) has gone bust. They haven't done any work since the
Iceland crash.

Even if it hadn't crashed I doubt the market for tall buildings is in
the best of health right now. There was supposed to be the tallest
building in britain built just opposite lloyds insurance - they'd
already almost demolished the building that was there before - but
thats probably a non starter now I suspect. Which is a pity, I like
skyscrapers, can't beat a good skyline in a city especially at night.

Relevance to Crossrail? It's approved, it's going ahead, a funding
package has been agree and work has started - but that still doesn't
make it 100% certain.

Lets hope the Astoria hasn't been demolished in vain then.

B2003

Old January 14th 09, 12:47 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

On 14 Jan, 12:30, wrote:
Given that the Astoria is going to be demolished to make way for the
new TCR station, is Crossrail 100% certain now or are there still
funding queries?

TfL and the DfT and have signed the final contract to transfer all
money required to Crossrail Ltd* in installments over the next 10
years. Whether TfL will actually be able to afford it is another
question, given about half of their contribution comes from the
business rates bill that's still in progress.

(* also, Crossrail Ltd is now a TfL subsidiary, so if they don't cough
up they'll be suing themselves)

On the other hand, the TCR ticket hall expansion is certain,
regardless of Crossrail, and that's what the demolition of the Astoria
is for. Crossrail will require the next block south to be demolished
for its own shafts etc.

(obviously Crossrail also requires the expanded ticket hall)

Diagram he
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...d-station.html

The Astoria is a little left of the number 4 I think.

Also something I've been wondering is where will they
find the space at Farringdon for the major interchange that will be
needed , theres hardly anywhere for the station to expand in to?

A new ticket hall will be built south of the station (demolishing the
existing office block there) as part of the Thameslink Programme, and
will also be the Crossrail ticket hall:
http://londonconnections.blogspot.co...will-work.html

(the light green bit is the new Thameslink ticket hall)

Old January 14th 09, 01:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John B" wrote :
It's approved, it's going ahead, a funding
package has been agree and work has started -
but that still doesn't make it 100% certain.

'Sright.
Things are looking good, but 'little things' - like the contribution from
the business rate - could still be scuppered at the last minute.

It's also possible (but unlikely) that Govt. panic over the recession could
lead to a serious postponement.

Much more likely is the usual list of minor problems that stretches it out
for an extra 3 or 4 years. While DLR work has almost always been under time
and under budget (kudos to them!), they have mostly been working in open
land, rather than central London; they've been very welcome in a nimby-free
zone. In the West End, different rules apply!
--

Andrew

Interviewer: Tonight I'm interviewing that famous nurse, Florence
Nightingale
Tommy Cooper (dressed as a nurse): Sir Florence Nightingale
Interviewer: *Sir* Florence Nightingale?
Tommy Cooper: I'm a Night Nurse

Campaign For The Real Tommy Cooper

Old January 14th 09, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport

wrote in message
Given that the Astoria is going to be demolished to make way for the
new TCR station, is Crossrail 100% certain now or are there still
funding queries? Also something I've been wondering is where will they
find the space at Farringdon for the major interchange that will be
needed , theres hardly anywhere for the station to expand in to?

It's as it has been for the last 20 years. About as certain as my winning
the lottery

tim