Old April 20th 09, 09:31 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Piccadilly Turnham Green

sweek wrote on 20 April 2009 11:23:23 ...
Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc and
replace it with Turnham Green?

No. Baron's Court has more passengers entering and exiting the station
per year (6.7M) than Turnham Green (5.9M). (2007 figures on the TfL
site, the most recent available)
--
Richard J.

Old April 20th 09, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 09:31:57
on Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Richard J. remarked:
Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc and
replace it with Turnham Green?

No. Baron's Court has more passengers entering and exiting the station
per year (6.7M) than Turnham Green (5.9M).

There's a big college just across the road, isn't there? And it's not
exactly the sort of area any sane person would drive to on account of
all the major roads.
Old April 20th 09, 10:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
09:31:57 on Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Richard J.
remarked:

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc
and replace it with Turnham Green?

No. Baron's Court has more passengers entering and exiting the
station per year (6.7M) than Turnham Green (5.9M).

That's only slightly more, and I wouldn't be surprised if switching the
Piccadilly Line stopping pattern caused a switch of the figures.

And it's not
exactly the sort of area any sane person would drive to on account of
all the major roads.

LOL.

Old April 20th 09, 11:04 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Apr, 11:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:
That's only slightly more, and I wouldn't be surprised if switching the
Piccadilly Line stopping pattern caused a switch of the figures.

If you wanted to go west on the Piccadilly Line and were starting from
Baron's Court, you'd have a difficult change at Earl's Court. Whereas
Turnham Green has cross-platform changes to the Picc in both
directions.

Old April 20th 09, 12:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Apr 20, 12:04*pm, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 20 Apr, 11:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:
That's only slightly more, and I wouldn't be surprised if switching the
Piccadilly Line stopping pattern caused a switch of the figures.

If you wanted to go west on the Piccadilly Line and were starting from
Baron's Court, you'd have a difficult change at Earl's Court. Whereas
Turnham Green has cross-platform changes to the Picc in both
directions.

ITYM "If you wanted to go *east*"...

If you wanted to go *west* from Baron's Court then it's one stop on
the District to Hammersmith where there's cross-platform interchange
with the Picc, and the same applies v.v.

Of course going east from Baron's Court, into central London, would be
the fiddly change.

Old April 20th 09, 01:25 PM posted to uk.transport.london

John Rowland wrote on 20 April
2009 12:51:57 ...
Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
09:31:57 on Mon, 20 Apr 2009, Richard J.
remarked:
Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc
and replace it with Turnham Green?
No. Baron's Court has more passengers entering and exiting the
station per year (6.7M) than Turnham Green (5.9M).

That's only slightly more, and I wouldn't be surprised if switching the
Piccadilly Line stopping pattern caused a switch of the figures.

If Barons Court was a little-used station, there might be some merit in
the suggestion that the Picc should stop at Turnham Green instead of at
Barons Court. But it isn't, and those of us who have campaigned for an
all-day stop at TG are not trying to do so by taking away another busy
station's service.

In any case the problem in the short term is the signalling at TG which
is unsuitable for running the peak service reliably if all trains stop
at TG, and the fact that LU are not willing to spend money fiddling with
an old system which is going to be replaced within a few years anyway.
Swapping the situations at TG and Barons Court wouldn't help without
changes to the signalling at *both* locations.

--
Richard J.
Old April 20th 09, 03:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 20 Apr, 10:31, "Richard J." wrote:
sweek wrote on 20 April 2009 11:23:23 ...

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc and
replace it with Turnham Green?

No. Baron's Court has more passengers entering and exiting the station
per year (6.7M) than Turnham Green (5.9M). * (2007 figures on the TfL
site, the most recent available)
--
Richard J.

I know that, but aside from the lower number of people getting on and
off at Turnham Green itself, it would also speed up journeys for all
the stations on the Richmond Branch. That's got be worth something?
Old April 20th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On Apr 20, 1:22*pm, Mizter T wrote:
On Apr 20, 12:04*pm, Mr Thant

wrote:
On 20 Apr, 11:51, "John Rowland"
wrote:
That's only slightly more, and I wouldn't be surprised if switching the
Piccadilly Line stopping pattern caused a switch of the figures.

If you wanted to go west on the Piccadilly Line and were starting from
Baron's Court, you'd have a difficult change at Earl's Court. Whereas
Turnham Green has cross-platform changes to the Picc in both
directions.

ITYM "If you wanted to go *east*"...

If you wanted to go *west* from Baron's Court then it's one stop on
the District to Hammersmith where there's cross-platform interchange
with the Picc, and the same applies v.v.

Of course going east from Baron's Court, into central London, would be
the fiddly change.

If I was going east in those circumstances, I'd still probably do
Hammersmith and back with a footbridge, rather than Earls Court. Not
that I am in favour of not stopping at Barons Court.
Old April 20th 09, 07:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

sweek wrote on 20 April 2009 17:29:10 ...
On 20 Apr, 10:31, "Richard J." wrote:
sweek wrote on 20 April 2009 11:23:23 ...

Wouldn't it make more sense to get rid of Barons Court on the Picc and
replace it with Turnham Green?

No. Baron's Court has more passengers entering and exiting the station
per year (6.7M) than Turnham Green (5.9M). (2007 figures on the TfL
site, the most recent available)

I know that, but aside from the lower number of people getting on and
off at Turnham Green itself, it would also speed up journeys for all
the stations on the Richmond Branch. That's got be worth something?

Yes, of course, but if you're arguing benefits, you need to set them
against the corresponding disbenefit of whatever change is proposed - an
extra stop at TG or swapping Barons Court for TG or whatever. The extra
stop at TG doesn't quite produce a net benefit on current figures, but
LU have promised to review the situation when the Piccadilly
resignalling starts in a few year's time. Meanwhile there is arguably
the possibility of extending the hours during which Picc trains stop at
TG, but we haven't yet convinced LU.
--
Richard J.
Old April 20th 09, 08:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009 14:09:01 +0100, "John Salmon"
wrote:

"Ian Jelf" wrote
I was on a late night Piccadilly Line train which stopped at Turnham Green
the other, er, night.

I've often wondered, what's the story behind that oddity? How did it
come to be a feature of the timetable? (I can think of no parallel
elsewhere on the system, at least not in even remotely recent years.)

I've always liked to imagine that they have adjustable colour-coded signs
there. When the sparse service of Piccadilly Line trains is due, they change
them to blue. When the last Piccadilly train has gone, they turn'em green.

Sorry.
I'll go now.

Why were two yellow peas standing on the westbound District Line
platform at Earls Court? Because it was the only way to 'turn'em
green'.