Old April 28th 09, 12:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Buggy On Bus Discrimination Claim

"Neill" wrote in message
When I was a child in the 1960's my mother hauled a pushchair on and
off RM and RT buses, either on her own or probably with the help of
the conductor. (Blimey, I'm starting to see Boris's point about buses
here!). This was normal practice and no-one complained. My mother is
hardly the largest or strongest person either. I also travelled in the
guards compartment of trains as well, and can remember doing the same
thing whne my sister was little in the early 1970's.

Neill

I seem to recall that the sign on an RT said something like " one folded
pram may be placed under the stairs at the conductor's discretion". We all
seemed to manage and there were many fewer cars then. You certainly couldn't
push the smallest "vehicle" down the bus.
That isn't to say that having space set aside for prams, wheelchairs etc is
wrong, but there have to be limits and to raise it as "discrimination" seems
a bit ridiculous.

MaxB

Old April 28th 09, 01:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Batman55" wrote:

I seem to recall that the sign on an RT said something like " one folded
pram may be placed under the stairs at the conductor's discretion". We all
seemed to manage and there were many fewer cars then.

People travelled less then, and were prepared to walk much further.

So what was your point, exactly?

Old April 28th 09, 01:51 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , Ian F.
writes
I've often wondered why having procreated gives people the right to
invade everyone else's space with their ridiculous means of child
transport. Either use a foldaway buggy - and fold it up on a bus - or
carry the brats.

When I drove buses (70s) you either folded your buggy or pushchair or
you didn't get on full stop. Further it went in the little luggage bay
where the conductor stood, not in the seating area.
--
Clive
Old April 28th 09, 02:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

"Clive" wrote in message

When I drove buses (70s) you either folded your buggy or pushchair or you
didn't get on full stop. Further it went in the little luggage bay where
the conductor stood, not in the seating area.

That was by far the best way, but I guess the layout of the new buses
doesn't allow for that.

What do the owners of these huge kiddie-carts do when there's someone in a
wheelchair in 'their' space? Shove them out of the way?

Ian

Old April 28th 09, 03:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Mizter T wrote in

There's a few issues at play here. There does appear to be an

expectation amongst a significant number of buggy-wielding bus users
that they can - or should always be able to - get on a bus without
folding the buggy up. This is daft - those with kids in buggies should
be prepared to evict the little'un from said buggy and fold it up when
getting on the bus. I reckon it's also fair to say that babies in
prams should take priority over buggies - and of course wheelchair
users take priority over both (there is enough space in most buses for
a wheelchair and a buggy/pram though).

they take up more than their fare share

Hee !

But there needs to be an agreed protocol when a mother with a twin
pushchair and three children gets on board and then another !

Plus when OAPs sitting on fold-up seats can be asked to move to make
way for buggies and wheel chairs.

Especially out in the sticks with one bus an hour.

--
Mike D

Old April 28th 09, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , Tony Polson
writes
People travelled less then, and were prepared to walk much further.

While I would agree that people walked further, I would dispute that
people travelled less per se. Certainly the vast majority of people
travelled by public transport much more.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old April 28th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , at 18:37:09 on Tue,
28 Apr 2009, Ian Jelf remarked:
People travelled less then, and were prepared to walk much further.

While I would agree that people walked further, I would dispute that
people travelled less per se.

When I was growing up, a 50 mile trip from one side of London to the
other [albeit by car] was something you'd plan on taking most of the
day. Driving 150 miles to a holiday resort was a once-a-year thing.
Old April 29th 09, 06:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 09:42:59 +0100, Ian Jelf wrote:

We travelled back from Valetta to Qawra one day on a crowded bus [1]
where a child literally screamed his head off to the point where we were
ready to do the same ourselves

Why - didn't he stop screaming once his head had come off?