Old April 30th 09, 02:11 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

Default Buggy On Bus Discrimination Claim

In message
,
Neill writes
When I first read that I though you meant they hooked the baby to the
front of the bus

I formed exactly that mental picture, and just think of the advantages,
no more screaming kids inside and a warning to kids along the route of
what might happen if they try playing chicken with a tram:-)
--
Clive

Old April 30th 09, 04:49 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , eastender
writes
In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:

I'm sure it's far from simple. However, it is sometimes *necessary*

And if you have twins, as we do? They're not in a buggy now but I can
assure you that's there no way you can juggle two babies and fold a
large buggy up.

I did say that I thought things could be "far from simple".

The problem is, that various groups of people - your self included - can
always come up with particular circumstances why they can't follow
instructions or requests.

If you can't fold a (presumably double) buggy and look after two
babies.......what do you suggest as a solution? That twins always take
priority over children or wheelchair users already in the allocated
space? Does someone with three young children then "trump" you?

I understand the difficulty but sometimes things are - to repeat what I
wrote above - "necessary". Life isn't as simple or easy as we would
sometimes like it to be.
--
Ian Jelf, MITG
Birmingham, UK

http://www.bluebadge.demon.co.uk
Old April 30th 09, 08:27 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Ian Jelf wrote:

If you can't fold a (presumably double) buggy and look after two
babies.......what do you suggest as a solution? That twins always take
priority over children or wheelchair users already in the allocated
space? Does someone with three young children then "trump" you?

No, it's quite simple - if there's space you board. If the
buggy/wheelchair space is taken, you wait for the next one.

E.
Old April 30th 09, 09:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london

eastender wrote:

No, it's quite simple - if there's space you board. If the
buggy/wheelchair space is taken, you wait for the next one.

How can you tell from the front of the bus?

Old April 30th 09, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:

eastender wrote:

No, it's quite simple - if there's space you board. If the
buggy/wheelchair space is taken, you wait for the next one.

How can you tell from the front of the bus?

You can't usually get a double buggy in the front so you have to board
through the middle doors. On a bendy bus there's no such issue.

E.

Old April 30th 09, 01:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In message , at 12:24:40 on Wed, 29
Apr 2009, tim..... remarked:

People travelled less then, and were prepared to walk much further.

While I would agree that people walked further, I would dispute that
people travelled less per se.

When I was growing up, a 50 mile trip from one side of London to the other
[albeit by car] was something you'd plan on taking most of the day.

Why, did you have to push it?

No, the roads, and traffic were terrible. Also many of those trips were
for Xmas holidays so snow and fog often slowed us too.

I'm of a similar age to you and we used to drive across/into London often.
This is not something I would even contemplate doing now (we go around!)

Driving 150 miles to a holiday resort was a once-a-year thing.

Agreed, but that was because we could only afford the holiday camp once a
year, not because of any problems with the journey.

No, the journey was terrible too. I remember one time we were stuck for
hours in a traffic jam on the A5 approaching Cannock - where they were
in the process of constructing the M6. And Honiton was notorious,
further south.

We lived in Chelmsford, and while Clacton was not very far away, the
jams on the road at holiday weekends meant it was futile trying to get
there.
Old April 30th 09, 01:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:48:10
on Thu, 30 Apr 2009, eastender remarked:
How can you tell from the front of the bus?

You can't usually get a double buggy in the front so you have to board
through the middle doors.

Middle doors? None of the buses I ever catch have middle doors.

Old April 30th 09, 03:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 30 Apr 2009 14:49:12 +0100
Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:48:10
on Thu, 30 Apr 2009, eastender remarked:
How can you tell from the front of the bus?

You can't usually get a double buggy in the front so you have to board
through the middle doors.

Middle doors? None of the buses I ever catch have middle doors.

Eh? Apart from the routemaster I can't think of any London buses that *don't*
have doors in the middle.

B2003

Old April 30th 09, 04:23 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 10:48:10
on Thu, 30 Apr 2009, eastender remarked:

How can you tell from the front of the bus?

You can't usually get a double buggy in the front so you have to board
through the middle doors.

Middle doors? None of the buses I ever catch have middle doors.

Eh? Apart from the routemaster I can't think of any London buses that *don't*
have doors in the middle.

Mr Perry resides in Nottingham where - like much the rest of the
country - buses only have front doors, and he doesn't use buses when
in London (I think he's missing a trick or two but that's another
discussion!).
Old April 30th 09, 07:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.transport.buses

In ,
Clive typed, for some strange, unexplained
reason:
: In message
: ,
: Neill writes
: When I first read that I though you meant they hooked the baby to the
: front of the bus
: I formed exactly that mental picture, and just think of the
: advantages, no more screaming kids inside and a warning to kids along
: the route of what might happen if they try playing chicken with a
: tram:-)

What a marvellous idea..! We could have a sign on the bus for those yobs
who don't want to pay their fares - "Free travel, just hang yourself from
one of these hooks" ;-))

Ivor