Old May 24th 09, 05:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default The past...

On 24 May, 13:06, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:
The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

That's from a film that I've progected somewhere, long ago. The Go-
Between?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they can
enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around 3:50, and a
lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

tom

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

--
Re-enacting the future

Thank you fot that; this must be one of the few BTF films that I've
never seen.

Old May 24th 09, 05:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On 24 May, 13:37, "John Rowland"
wrote:

Thanks. At the risk of being pedantic, the pictured MSF broadcasting array
was about 100 miles away from the NPL which was, and is, in Teddington.

Just look at the size of the tuning coil needed for this very low
frequency!

http://www.subbrit.org.uk/sb-sites/s...o/index2.shtml
Old May 24th 09, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , MatSav
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn, in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

The broadcasting is sub-contracted to BT.

Shouldn't that be VT comms?..

Tx Maintenance is their
call, not NPL's, so I can't tell you why it's down so often.
However, 72 hours in about 17,000 hours for scheduled mainenance
(less than 0.5% of the available hours) doesn't seem excessive to
me.

Well we're on NPL's mailing list and it seem to happen quite a lot..
Haven't actually counted the intervals but seems every couple of
months..
--
Tony Sayer

Old May 24th 09, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article ,
MatSav
scribeth thus

Incidentally, the MSF signal is now broadcast from Anthorn,
in
Cumbria.

Why's that down for maintenance so much?...

The broadcasting is sub-contracted to BT.

Shouldn't that be VT comms?..

Later corrected in another post. It was BT until 2007.

Tx Maintenance is their
call, not NPL's, so I can't tell you why it's down so often.
However, 72 hours in about 17,000 hours for scheduled
mainenance
(less than 0.5% of the available hours) doesn't seem excessive
me.

Well we're on NPL's mailing list and it seem to happen quite a
lot..
Haven't actually counted the intervals but seems every couple
of
months..

It is. The scheduled maintenance planner can be found at
http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technol...es/msf-outages.

--
MatSav

Old May 24th 09, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

In article , MatSav
scribeth thus

"tony sayer" wrote in message
In article , MatSav
scribeth thus
"tony sayer" wrote in message
[...]

http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technol.../products-and-
services/msf-outages.

Around every three months then. What do they do with it?.

Surely the TX chain is duplicated so perhaps they have to do something
with the aerial system?...
--
Tony Sayer

Old May 24th 09, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

NM wrote:

On 24 May, 14:25, "MatSav" matthew | dot | savage | at | dsl | dot |
pipex | dot | com wrote:

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

Why? are they a particularly poor paying employer?

have you walked near the NPL? if you do, the answer is fairly clear.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Capital to Coast
Old May 24th 09, 11:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Having moved to the area in the mid 1980's I find it amazing that, apart
from the entrance to Rugby Midland station, very few of the scenes depicted
are much different today. The shot of the cyclists leaving Railway Terrace
in Rugby and turning into Clifton Road could have been filmed yesterday
rather than 54 years ago. It was also most amusing to see so many cyclists
obeying then (then) rule of no cycling on the canal towpath at Foxton locks.
Bit different to nowadays where you take your life in your own hands when
walking through a blind bridge hole. The other amazing thing is that the
special train must have stood at Rugby platform 1 for a hell of a long time
to get all those bikes off.

"Sailor" wrote in message
On 24 mai, 14:06, Tom Anderson wrote:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:
The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

Brilliant! Crossposted to uk.transport.london and uk.railway so they can
enjoy it as well. Lovely shot of the aerials at the NPL around 3:50, and
lovely section about the canal in the second part.

Cyclists back then must have been made of cast iron. Nobody had anything
more advanced than a Sturmey-Archer three-speed [1], and yet they still
tackled open roads, hills, whatever. Makes my 27-speed setup seem a bit
wimpish really.

Belay that! In part two, they have to get off and push up a hill!

tom

[1] Some, of course, would deny that any such thing exists.

--
Re-enacting the future

It seemed to me that more than half of the chaps had 4 speed derailier
gear and one or two a double clanger. As it said , the station was
Rugby, as were the vlf transmitters. The intriging thing was that a
special train was laid on with special cycle cars and a buffet! It
must have been very ancient days -- all those porters at Rugby! more
than the entire WCML these days.

Old May 24th 09, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Tom Anderson said the following on 24/05/2009 13:06:
On Sun, 24 May 2009, Marc wrote:

The past is like a foreign country they do things differently there....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyz5d3entBw

So much better on Volume Two of the BFIs British Transport Collection,
See Britain by Train!
Old May 25th 09, 12:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport.london,uk.railway

pipex | dot | com wrote:

Ob Cycling: In a recent travel survey, something like 15% of the
750-strong workforce at NPL regularly cycle to work.

Why? are they a particularly poor paying employer?

Are you a particularly dickheaded poster?