Old June 9th 09, 03:41 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default LU strike and possible knock-on effects on NR / LO services [was:Tube strike]

On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:
On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

On Sat, 6 Jun 2009 10:20:56 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
Oh ang on though, if they used platform 1 at HotH, I think there may
be a crossover. *Not sure if it isn't just a track crossing to/from
the Metropolitan or if it leads to/from the up Chiltern track as well.

I can't remember if this crossover can be used from Up departures from
Platform 1 at Harrow. My memory tells me that there is no signal for
this route. What I can't remember is if the crossover from the NB Fast
to the Platform 1 just passes over the intervening Up line or whether
there is pointwork in the Up line allowing access.

There isn't pointwork - it's one of those things that I think is
referred to as a diamond crossing.

Thanks, I though it probably was, but couldn't remember.

It can't be that simple though, because it has to allow for
Metropolitan trains in both directions, doesn't it? *So there must be
something from the up Chiltern to the Met as well as the diamond from
the Met to the down Chiltern, even if nothing from platform 1 to the
up Chiltern?

Platform 1 is only accessible from the Down Chiltern and the NB Met
fast, via the diamond crossing, heading north (to the NB Met fast),
with no access heading south without a shunt. Platform 2 only has
access to the Up Chiltern, heading south from the SB Met fast, or the
NB Met fast heading north via the trailing crossover. There is no
access to other Met line tracks (i.e. the both southbound, NB slow or
the Uxbridge lines). Met line trains only use Platform 1 heading
north, from the NB fast or platform 2 reversing from SB to NB. There
are no other Met line possibilities, with the current layout.

Old June 9th 09, 03:46 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 6, 12:55*pm, Mizter T wrote:

And what about Chiltern Railways - there's the question of whether
they could call at their normal LU stations - i.e. Amersham, Chalfont
& Latimer, Chorleywood, Rickmansworth, Harrow-on-the-Hill - but is
there also any question about whether they could actually run - are
the LU signallers going on strike too? Even if they could call at
those stations.

This is from the National Rail website:

The following stations which are served by Chiltern Railways, as well
as London Underground, will be closed, and no services will be
calling:

* Harrow-on-the-Hill
* Rickmansworth
* Chorleywood
* Chalfont & Latimer
* Amersham

C2C services will not call at West Ham station from 18:45 on Tuesday 9
June until the start of service on Friday 12 June

London Overground will run a normal service throughout this industrial
action.

--

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html
Old June 9th 09, 03:58 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

On 9 June, 16:41, wrote:
On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

are no other Met line possibilities, with the current layout.- Hide quoted text -

Ah right, so you can't take the Met south through platform 2, I think
you are saying, and it's electricked only for reversing back north.
That seems a bit unbalanced given that you can go north through
platform 1, but if that's the way it is ... Hard to tell from
diagrams.
Old June 9th 09, 04:35 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 4:46*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html

I can't see any reason at all not to accept LU-valid rail tickets on
cross-London buses (as it's an internal matter within TfL, no external
stakeholders required) - is this some kind of spite directed at the
TOCs for not co-operating on PAYG?

"Please be aware that National Rail tickets which are valid for cross-
London transfers on the London Underground will not be valid on London
Buses."

--
John Band
john at johnband dot org
Old June 9th 09, 05:08 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Noticed this on the TfL website - worthy of inclusion in Private Eye.

"Suspended between Queens Park and Harrow & Wealdstone with severe
delays on the rest of the line due to operational issues.

Valid tickets are being accepted on local bus services between Queen's
Park and Harrow & Wealdstone.

See how we are transforming the Tube ."

--
gordon

Old June 9th 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 5:35*pm, wrote:

On Jun 9, 4:46*pm, Martin Deutsch wrote:

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...e/details.html

I can't see any reason at all not to accept LU-valid rail tickets on
cross-London buses (as it's an internal matter within TfL, no external
stakeholders required) - is this some kind of spite directed at the
TOCs for not co-operating on PAYG?

"Please be aware that National Rail tickets which are valid for cross-
London transfers on the London Underground will not be valid on London
Buses."

I wonder if this is not more likely to simply be the result of
misunderstanding and/or miscommunication on the part of NRE (who run
the NR site)?

In reality I imagine bus drivers would probably wave anyone through
who presented such a ticket and explained what they were doing - their
priority will be to keep things moving, not quibble over ticket
validities.

If however this really is the official position as dictated by TfL,
then perhaps the worry is people presenting any old NR ticket to bus
drivers and therefore getting a free ride? (Of course that thought is
somewhat incompatible with my comment in the previous paragraph.)
Old June 9th 09, 05:32 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 9, 4:58*pm, MIG wrote:
On 9 June, 16:41, wrote:

On 9 June, 14:49, MIG wrote:

On 9 June, 14:40, wrote:

On 9 June, 00:38, asdf wrote:

[...]

That's right. To go south to the Met from platform 2 would require
crossing both northbound tracks, so all crossing moves happen at
Harrow North Junction, where only the NB slow is crossed. On the other
hand, using platform 1 for NB Met fast services takes only takes them
across the SB Chiltern and gives extra platform capacity in the
evening peak.
Old June 9th 09, 06:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Jun 6, 12:55*pm, Mizter T wrote:

Then there's stations where LUL manages the main bit of the station
though not the National Rail platforms - e.g. West Ham, Seven Sisters,
Stratford.

First Capital Connect are saying this:

Please note: It is our expectation we will be able to operate between
Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However, this will depend upon the
availability of London Underground personnel who staff many of these
stations.

(from http://www.firstcapitalconnect.co.uk...=MajorIncident
)
Old June 9th 09, 06:25 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 9 June, 19:17, Martin Deutsch wrote:
First Capital Connect are saying this:

Please note: It is our expectation we will be able to operate between
Finsbury Park and Moorgate. However, this will depend upon the
availability of London Underground personnel who staff many of these
stations.

and this .....

"Thameslink route service alterations: there is a shortage of
available trains as a result of a fault which means some services on
the Thameslink route are only 4 carriages long instead of 8.
Additional stops have also been put in to other services to relieve
crowding. The problem will be rectified soon, meanwhile we apologise
for the inconvenience this is causing customers."

Handy when the tubes are erm down the tubes.

--
gordon