Old June 11th 09, 01:05 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Travelling to Gatwick from London, tomorrow (11/6/09)

On Jun 10, 5:08 pm, David F wrote:

On Jun 10, 1:16 pm, TimB wrote:

[snip]

Are you mad? Take the Thameslink.

No, not mad - just very heavy, awkward bags full of scuba diving
gear :-(

Aha, that does explain it!

Also, the return leg gets in to Gatwick at 1.30am, so the car will
definitely be handy at that time of the morning.

At that time I'd have no hesitation in saying there'd be no problem at
all in driving the direct 'straight line' route via the A24 through
south London - definitely no need to take any evasive action then!

Thanks for all the advice. I think setting off at 7am, or slightly
before, and go by the A12, M11, M25. It does over double the distance
(start N1 3DS), but it ought to be more dependable.

It's all rather too late now, but the knowledgeable reply from
"neverwas" / "R" does rather favour the Blackwall Tunnel then A20
route over a long trip heading out the wrong way on the M11 before
righting oneself. I see you're close enough to the Blackwall Tunnel
approach road, and I can't see there being a big problem in cutting
through Hackney to get onto it early in the morning - though see
neverwas's comments of 6pm versus 7pm starts! (Incidentally, I'm
intrigued - you're just inside LB Islington, but offhand I wouldn't
think of it as being in Islington 'proper' - perhaps DB Town, but
maybe that starts the other side of Southgate Road? I'm always
interested to hear the local views on such matters, but apols if this
just comes across as being nosey!)

Thanks chaps - if it were just me going, I'd be on the train with hand
luggage... damn the wife!

But enjoy the snorkelling!

Old June 11th 09, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"neverwas" wrote in message
om...

Finally, it's some years since I drove to work daily from Hackney to
Westminster but there was then a massive difference in traffic between
6:00 and 7:00.

Partly because bus lane restrictions start at 07:00, effectively halving
road capacity for cars. On the very few occassions I drove to work in
central London from the Gatwick area the key to success was to hit Elephant
& Castle by 07:00.

I don't know if the same true is now but in your shoes (flippers???) I'd
leave at 06:00, count it as a bonus if I arrived at Gatwick by 08:00 and
then treat myself to a good breakfast/brunch.

I think that would be my approach, probably via Blackwall Tunnel and A2/20
and M25, or a more direct route via the A23 corridor (I have various
strategies that avoid the A23 itself between Purley and Kennington). The
Gatwick exit from the M23 gets very congested around 08:00.
--
David A Stocks

Old June 11th 09, 09:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 11, 1:26*am, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 10, 10:41*pm, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at
19:18:39 on Wed, 10 Jun 2009, neverwas remarked:

Starting from there, the M11 and Dartford crossing seem somewhat
bizarre.

I suggested it on the principle that the sooner he's on a major dual
carriageway headed out of London the better.

That's a logical enough rationale - however as soon as one is south of
the Blackwall Tunnel one is on a dual carriageway headed out of
London, whether that be the A2 or A20 - and these roads are a world
away from the A24 that trudges due south through south London!

[snip]

Argh - I meant the *A23*. Damn road numbers!
Old June 11th 09, 09:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Jun 11, 2:05*am, Mizter T wrote:

On Jun 10, 5:08 pm, David F wrote:

[snip]

Also, the return leg gets in to Gatwick at 1.30am, so the car will
definitely be handy at that time of the morning.

At that time I'd have no hesitation in saying there'd be no problem at
all in driving the direct 'straight line' route via the A24 through
south London - definitely no need to take any evasive action then!

I meant to say *A23* above, sorry for the confusion.