Old October 9th 09, 02:02 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default First train tested on East London Line

In message
Sam Wilson wrote:

In article ,
rail wrote:

There's always someone who has to bring reality into the discussion :-)

The price of pedantry is eternal vigilance.

I was actually (deliberately) confusing additive and subtractive colour
mixing. ...

Thought so.

... I hadn't realise there was a proper railway connection.

Terribly sorry old chap. Bad form to bring things on topic. I believe
I believe I left my old service revolver in the library desk. I'll just
go and clean it...

Trust you have the last of the 1746 brandy to drink first.

--
Graeme Wall

This address not read, substitute trains for rail
Transport Miscellany at www.greywall.demon.co.uk/rail

Old October 9th 09, 09:21 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Scott wrote:
"Recliner" wrote in message

I believe that the two new stations on the old Broad St line take
advantage of the four-track formation. In other words, the new platforms
are built over the previous outer lines. So they wouldn't have been able
to fit in more than double track on the viaduct south of Dalston.

They certainly do, in fact the BBC time lapse video linked to in the other
thread shows how the two tracks take full advantage of the whole formation -
using both of the existing Kingsland Rd overbridges is a further example.

Paul S

The two previous stations on this section had enough space, in terms of
viaduct widening) to have allowed for platforms and four tracks (two
tracks with platforms + two non-platformed tracks) but the two new
stations have been built in different positions where the viaduct is
only wide enough for either four tracks or two tracks with platforms.

Shoreditch station (above Old Street) would have seemed to be in a
convenient location but the Hoxton station 'replacement' is
significantly further north. Not sure about the rationale behind this
but maybe something to do with regeneration of a very run down area (or
the adjacent Geffrye Museum has some very powerful friends!). The other
Shoreditch station further south (the East London line one) has its own
replacement station at Shoreditch High Street, and may have been
considered geographically too near to make reopening the Broad Street
line's Shoreditch station viable.
(Hope that makes sense)

The new Haggerston station is located on the north side of Lee Street,
whereas the old one was on the south side. Looking at the BBC video
clip, it seems one of the old platforms is still in situ (on the right
hand side just before reaching the new station).

Interesting that the rebuilt Dalston Junction station is now underground.

http://www.abandonedstations.org.uk/...et_line_1.html
Old October 10th 09, 09:22 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Fri, 09 Oct 2009 22:21:11 +0100, Subterraneo
wrote:

Interesting that the rebuilt Dalston Junction station is now underground.

That's to allow for a bus interchange above.
Old October 11th 09, 10:53 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:

Interesting that the rebuilt Dalston Junction station is now underground.

That's to allow for a bus interchange above.

I think there is definitley a bus interchange in there somewhere, but the
vast majority of the slab is to support a high rise development of some
sort, even if it might be somewhat delayed due to the downturn.

Paul S

Old October 11th 09, 09:33 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Paul Corfield wrote:

wrote:

Interesting that the rebuilt Dalston Junction station is now underground.
That's to allow for a bus interchange above.

I think there is definitley a bus interchange in there somewhere, but the
vast majority of the slab is to support a high rise development of some
sort, even if it might be somewhat delayed due to the downturn.

Correct - there most certainly is a bus interchange. It's why they've
knocked a hole through some old shops to create an opening into
Kingsland Road to allow some of the local routes in and out. There is
also an over station development of shops plus housing. Given the
intensity of bus services plus a decent Overground service (once all up
and running) it'll be a well connected place to live.

I haven't yet seen the related set of bus changes for when Overground
opens through here except that the 488 is to be extended from Clapton
via Shacklewell / Stoke Newington to Dalston Junction. This provides a
bus service to an area that is slightly remote from the bus network.

Whta's up with HIghbury Corner, BTW? Are they going to rework that area?
I remember reading that such plans exist, and so I was wondering if that
is that will be the case when they close Gospel Oak-Stratford in January.

Old October 14th 09, 08:38 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 11 Oct 2009, Paul Corfield wrote:

I haven't yet seen the related set of bus changes for when Overground
opens through here except that the 488 is to be extended from Clapton
via Shacklewell / Stoke Newington to Dalston Junction. This provides a
bus service to an area that is slightly remote from the bus network.

Ah, Shacklewell. I've always thought that was a rather fascinating area,
and not just because of the prostitutes - it's sort of an island, or a
eddy, isolated and quiet. Reminds me a bit of Somers Town.

tom

--
PS I am trying to stab a giant warthog in the arse but it keeps throwing
me off a bridge -- Martin Lewis
Old October 14th 09, 09:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009, Peter Masson wrote:

"eastender" wrote in message
In article ,
"Paul Scott" wrote:

I don't think there are any significant gauging issues there - I
suspect the only practical thing keeping diverted passenger services
off the route would be lack of capacity - it is intended to run the 16
tph 7/7. But in dire emergency you wouldn't think there'd be a problem
getting at least any other DC Electrostar variant through.

I think if they'd had a bit more cash they could have at least added a
third line along the stretch from Dalston to wherever possible
southwards - after all that trackbed used to have four tracks - I think?

What would be the point? You could hardly get M I Brunel (even assisted by
his son) back to dig you another tunnel under the Thames.

I dunno - he's got an advantage in that he'd be starting off underground.

tom

--
double mashed, future mashed, millennium mashed; man it was mashed