Old November 10th 03, 10:14 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default An unusual request

"Robin May" wrote in message
. 1.4...
"Rob" wrote the following in:

T.O.S.E.R? U trying to say something?

No, but you are correct in your observation that I am looking for tube
stations with letters from the word tosser in them.

--
message by Robin May, but you can call me Mr Smith.
Hello. I'm one of those "roaring fascists of the left wing".

Then and than are different words!

There are a lot of stations that have the letters TOSER in them but only a
few that contain TOSSER (with two S's)

BRENT CROSS
COCKFOSTERS
EUSTON SQUARE
NEW CROSS GATE
HIGH STREET KENSINGTON

Can anyone find the two stations which contain the letters "******S"?

Peter Smyth

Old November 10th 03, 11:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Peter Smyth" wrote the following in:

There are a lot of stations that have the letters TOSER in them
but only a few that contain TOSSER (with two S's)

Aha, but in photoshop you only need one S.

I now need to get out with the camera and try taking some photos of the
various station signs.

Old November 10th 03, 11:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

JRS: In article , seen in
news:uk.transport.london, Dr John Stockton
posted at Sun, 9 Nov 2003 15:05:37 :-

There'll be a lot more if their real names include "Station"; and, if
"Underground" is also included ... .

If I had a list of all stations, I could easily use DOS find to
successively pass only those letters, after conversion to lower case.

Result :

Bond Street
Brent Cross
Cannon Street
Cockfosters
Earls Court
Euston Square
Gloucester Road
Goodge Street
Great Portland Street
Harrow & Wealdstone
High Street Kensington
Hounslow Central
Liverpool Street
Mornington Crescent
New Cross Gate *
Northfields
Old Street
Osterley
Preston Road
Ravenscourt Park
Shoreditch *
Silvertown & City Airport *
Stanmore
Stonebridge Park
Totteridge & Whetstone
Walthamstow Central
West Brompton
West Harrow
Westbourne Park

List from Column A of
http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo/data/tube.csv
St changed to Street except where Saint
Rd changed to Road
Processed by DOS
find /i "s" $1 | find /i "t" | find /i "o" | find /i "e" | find /i "r"

I have not checked that all are on the Tube map as real Underground
stations; beware of those starred.

--
© John Stockton, Surrey, UK. DOS 3.3, 6.20; Win98. ©
Web URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/ - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.
Old November 11th 03, 03:29 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 12:04:09 -0000, "Horace" wrote:

Brent Cross

"Robin May" wrote in message
.1.4...
Paul Weaver wrote the following in:
news
On Sat, 08 Nov 2003 23:05:10 +0000, Robin May wrote:

Can anyone think of any London Underground stations with the
letters T, O, S, E and R in their names (apart from Cannon
Street)?

walThamStOw cEntRal

Thanks!

Old November 11th 03, 10:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...

I now need to get out with the camera and try taking
some photos of the various station signs.

If you're trying to make a composite image of a tube sign that says
"TOSSER", you need to consider the size and spacing. For best results, find
a combination of 6-letter station names which contain TOSER between them.
MORDEN and EUSTON are probably the easiest to get to from most places.
LEYTON and RUISLIP would also do (since "i"s are very narrow, Ruislip will
be spaced like a six letter word.)

--
John Rowland - Spamtrapped

Old November 11th 03, 10:34 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov 2003 00:11:18 GMT, Robin May
wrote:
I now need to get out with the camera and try taking some photos of the
various station signs.

I assumed that's what you were thinking of. Would drawing it 'by hand'
not be sufficient? I've mocked up tube station signs (for various
reasons) before in Photoshop with a red circle, a blue bar and the
right font in white. (The 'old' Johnston font is commercially
available, and is what many of the station roundels are done with.
'New' Johnston is not at all available outside of LU/TfL as far as I
can see...)

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge
Old November 11th 03, 03:26 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"John Rowland" wrote the
following in:

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...

I now need to get out with the camera and try taking
some photos of the various station signs.

If you're trying to make a composite image of a tube sign that
says "TOSSER", you need to consider the size and spacing. For best
results, find a combination of 6-letter station names which
contain TOSER between them.

I'd been thinking about that. I thought I'd definitely need to get one
station with all the necessary letters because colour, size and
lettering would vary slightly between stations. I'd assumed though that
once I'd gone to such a station I could play around with resizing the
letters and the finished word to make it fit the sign. Would other
factors prevent this from being effective? I might have a bit of
trouble with getting a nice looking match between the resolution of the
original photo and the resized lettering but if the difference isn't
too great or I resize the finished picture (lowering the resolution) I
thought this wouldn't be too much of a problem.

Old November 11th 03, 03:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
I now need to get out with the camera and try taking some photos
of the various station signs.

I assumed that's what you were thinking of. Would drawing it 'by
hand' not be sufficient? I've mocked up tube station signs (for
various reasons) before in Photoshop with a red circle, a blue bar
and the right font in white. (The 'old' Johnston font is
commercially available, and is what many of the station roundels
are done with. 'New' Johnston is not at all available outside of
LU/TfL as far as I can see...)

I have got a mock up, but it's not quite as real as I'd like:

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/mayr/tubetossergif.gif

That's the small version, but the bigger version looks a bit dodgy.

Old November 11th 03, 05:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london

.4...

wrote:
I now need to get out with the camera and try taking some photos
of the various station signs.

I assumed that's what you were thinking of. Would drawing it 'by
hand' not be sufficient? I've mocked up tube station signs (for
various reasons) before in Photoshop with a red circle, a blue bar
and the right font in white. (The 'old' Johnston font is
commercially available, and is what many of the station roundels
are done with. 'New' Johnston is not at all available outside of
LU/TfL as far as I can see...)

I have got a mock up, but it's not quite as real as I'd like:

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/mayr/tubetossergif.gif

That's the small version, but the bigger version looks a bit dodgy.

If you want fonts, then dafonts seems to offer a reasonable free one:

http://www.dafont.com/en/search.php?nq=1&q=london+tube

Angus

Old November 11th 03, 06:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 11 Nov 2003 16:27:39 GMT, Robin May
wrote:
Sam Holloway wrote the following in:

I assumed that's what you were thinking of. Would drawing it 'by
hand' not be sufficient? I've mocked up tube station signs (for
various reasons) before in Photoshop with a red circle, a blue bar
and the right font in white. (The 'old' Johnston font is
commercially available, and is what many of the station roundels
are done with. 'New' Johnston is not at all available outside of
LU/TfL as far as I can see...)

I have got a mock up, but it's not quite as real as I'd like:

http://personal.lse.ac.uk/mayr/tubetossergif.gif

That's the small version, but the bigger version looks a bit dodgy.

Here's my attempt from my template. (File will be available for the
next few days...)

http://www.samholloway.co.uk/tosser.gif

(if this was a cunning joke to get someone to post an URL that makes
them sound stupid, you've just won) :-)

The colours are directly taken from colours on TfL's website so they
should match well. If that's good enough for your needs, then by all
means download and use it (and if you need a different size or format,
let me know), otherwise I look forward to seeing the photo-montage
version!

Sam
--
Sam Holloway, Cambridge