Old November 22nd 09, 06:00 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Disruption at Feltham

In message , Paul Scott
writes

Network Rail's press release shows the track work in progress, I can't
work out from the pic if they've laid two tracks or just the one. Can
anyone clarify?

I doubt that "normal service" could be restored with single-line working
so, while it is difficult to be sure, it looks to me as though they have
laid one new track on the south side, which will become the temporary
down line, and they are checking the gauge of the old down line, which
will become the temporary up line.

If I'm right this presumably means that the infrastructure damage is
limited to the arch on the north side (left side in the latest photo),
and that it has been determined that the rest of the tunnel under the
line is OK.

--
Paul Terry

Old November 22nd 09, 06:10 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message
In message , Paul Scott
writes

Network Rail's press release shows the track work in progress, I can't
work out from the pic if they've laid two tracks or just the one. Can
anyone clarify?

I doubt that "normal service" could be restored with single-line working
so, while it is difficult to be sure, it looks to me as though they have
laid one new track on the south side, which will become the temporary down
line, and they are checking the gauge of the old down line, which will
become the temporary up line.

If I'm right this presumably means that the infrastructure damage is
limited to the arch on the north side (left side in the latest photo), and
that it has been determined that the rest of the tunnel under the line is
OK.

I'm pretty sure it is two new tracks now. Those location boxes and the
concrete troughing look as though they are in the original position., Aerial
views show them on the down side at that point. In other forums they are
saying the speed limit will be 20 mph, so that will affect timings, but it
should still be a full capacity route.

Paul

Old November 22nd 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Bondee) wrote:

"CJB" wrote in message
On Nov 22, 4:27 pm, "Paul Scott" wrote:
Latest report is that normal service will resume tomorrow morning:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/eng...a1d1349548b8fa
aad06\961215

Network Rail's press release shows the track work in progress, I can't
work out from the pic if they've laid two tracks or just the one. Can
anyone clarify?

I'll let you know tomorrow. Looks like the commute will take a
little longer than usual, but not as long as it did last week.
: )

There will be a TSR at the site I expect but I doubt it will cost enough
time to cause trains to be non-trivially late.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 22nd 09, 08:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Scott) wrote:

Latest report is that normal service will resume tomorrow morning:

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/eng...a1d1349548b8fa
aad06\961215

Network Rail's press release shows the track work in progress, I can't
work out from the pic if they've laid two tracks or just the one. Can
anyone clarify?

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.co...eleaseID=4827&
NewsA\reaID=2&SearchCategoryID=8

That page includes this text:

"Network Rail engineers will continue to work around the clock and over
the weekend to design and build a small, temporary loop around the section
of track above the damaged arch on the adjacent land which was once
occupied by the Feltham marshalling yard. This will allow trains to cross
the river safely while repairs to the permanent structure are carried out."

If you look at the full size picture (on the download link) you can see
more clearly that the track has been slewed.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old November 23rd 09, 09:43 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
CJB CJB is offline

On Nov 22, 7:10*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

[...]

Paul- Hide quoted text -

Today went from Feltham to Waterloo. The 3'rd rail track is slewed to
the south over what looks like a new embankment - which would include
a tunnel for the errant stream. Despite the 20 mph signs at the west
end of the London platform at Feltham and also just before the works -
the train I was on must have been going at least 25-30. The new up
line is merged to the previous down, and the new down is on the new
formation. The slew is quite long so trains can proceed quite fast and
without stopping. The old rails of the previous up line are very rusty
even from a few days of non-use. CJB.

Old November 23rd 09, 10:14 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Bruce" wrote in message
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 16:02:37 -0000, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
A good quality picture of the failure has appeared on the Network Rail
site
now:
http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/servic...idge_Nov09.JPG

A couple of tubes of decorator's filler, and the job's a good 'un.

Didn't Bouch use something of the kind to mask defects in the Tay Bridge?

Peter

Old November 23rd 09, 11:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Didn't Bouch use something of the kind to mask defects in the Tay Bridge?

Peter

Linseed Putty I believe ...

Hth

C.
Old November 24th 09, 01:17 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default [OT] Disruption at Feltham

"CJB" wrote in message

...Today went from Feltham to Waterloo...

Whereas today, there may have been many extra passengers *into*
Feltham, for the unveiling of the Freddie Mercury Memorial, on
the 18th anniversary of his death, unveiled by his mother and
Brian May.

Old November 24th 09, 05:20 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"CJB" wrote in message

....The new up
line is merged to the previous down, and the new down is on the new
formation. The slew is quite long so trains can proceed quite fast
and without stopping. The old rails of the previous up line are very
rusty even from a few days of non-use. CJB.

You need to look again I'm afraid.
From a down train you can clearly see three lines, the temporary up, and the
two original. The remnants of the old up line are significantly longer than
the remaining length of down line though, for obvious reasons...

Paul S

Old November 27th 09, 07:13 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

"Paul Scott" wrote in message
"CJB" wrote in message

....The new up
line is merged to the previous down, and the new down is on the new
formation. The slew is quite long so trains can proceed quite fast
and without stopping. The old rails of the previous up line are very
rusty even from a few days of non-use. CJB.

You need to look again I'm afraid.
From a down train you can clearly see three lines, the temporary up, and
the
two original. The remnants of the old up line are significantly longer
than
the remaining length of down line though, for obvious reasons...

Yep, that's exactly what I was about to report. The "slight detour" is
hardly noticeable. My journeys don't seem to have been affected at all.